Do We Need Faye?

Kev

Good signing. Will probably be a first choice and not a squad man at all.

Agreed. As Wullie said earlier he is probably going to surprise a few.

I still think there is potential for him to be a first choice centre back, as good as Rozehnal and Cacapa have done he may still want someone with premiership experience in the centre of defence and Faye is far from a bad defender.

I'm not sure he will be a squad player. Sam has taken the trouble to bring him from his former club, the Bolton fans are gutted he's gone and say he's a very good player. As Sam has signed him twice now and only inherited Butt then I wouldn't be surprised to see him gradually favour Faye over Butt in that DM position. Managers often tend to favour their own signings, and Faye with his height and big build is probably more what Sam wants in the centre of the park.

He's good on a squad level too, of course, because we're now in a position where a couple of injuries in defence wouldn't cripple us. When was the last time we could say that?

Spot on there mate. Faye will play alot of games this season i suspect. He is a real "Allardyce" player.

In games where a physical presence is needed, i.e arsenal away in the carling cup, then he could be invaluable.

Big Sams summer signings =  O0

Its called building a squad.

2 million in todays market isn't a great deal and we are getting a premiership experienced player who as you've outlined can operate at centre-back and central midfield.

Anyways at the moment i'd say he is better than taylor, edgar and ramage (who is out for most the season anyways), making him at least our 3rd best centreback.

you're wrong about Taylor.

agree, lots of people on here are saying Taylor isnt very good

He will eventually brake into englands starting 11 within 2-3 seasons

also he is young and doesnt make many mistakes anymore

anyone actually watching Taylor play, on and off the ball, can see that he has removed a lot of the problems he caused himself in the past, even as recently as the start of last season. he's a first team starter for me, shoudl have been captain as well, above Geremi, who can't even be given the excuse of being new to the PL for soem of his dismal showings so far.

Come on...Taylor is OK but captain...Please he is JUST A KID you know...

Better - in my opinion - than the current captain. and in fact, the best option for captain we had apart from Lil' Mikey.

Don't agree.

I said at the moment Faye is a better central defender but don't get me wrong I rate Taylor and IF he keeps on developing he has the potential to become our top centre-back for years to come. Not there yet though.

GREAT value for the money paid imo, raises the competition for places even further. Can only be a good thing, keeps everyone on their toes and will help the team to be more consistent through the season,

im REALLY impressed with the dealings this summer,quite early still but i feel that we could have some real bargains signed when looking back at this season after it ends, im confident about that..

How good is his passing? I have seen him a few times and i have been quite impressed, but that has been in games where he mostly has played at CB. I hope he's a better passer of the ball than the last Faye we had ;) i know he is, but how good is he?

Chances of Newcastle completing injury free season - 200000000000000000000000000000/1

Chances of Faye coming into the team and doing well as experienced Premiership player - 2/1

Guest jamesmartinsmith

He's a top Premiership defender and now Huntington has gone we'll need Faye, although I still feel he is 4th choice centre-back.

2 million in todays market isn't a great deal and we are getting a premiership experienced player who as you've outlined can operate at centre-back and central midfield.

Anyways at the moment i'd say he is better than taylor, edgar and ramage (who is out for most the season anyways), making him at least our 3rd best centreback.

anyone actually watching Taylor play, on and off the ball, can see that he has removed a lot of the problems he caused himself in the past, even as recently as the start of last season. he's a first team starter for me, shoudl have been captain as well, above Geremi, who can't even be given the excuse of being new to the PL for soem of his dismal showings so far.

Taylor captain?!

He's a decent defender with potential, you talk about Geremi's "dismal" showings yet Taylor has been piss poor this season, nearly cost us the game against Villa by fannying around with it and easily out muscled by Mido for Boro's goal.

He had as many bad games as good ones last season too.

Tsylor is the only CB so far this season to make a mistake that cost us, against boro. he isn't as good as faye, his positioning and reading of the game are quite poor, however his recovery, and heading are good. Faye is as good as taylor at heading recovering and tackling, and much better at positioning and reading of the game. He is a superior player at the minute to Taylor, however i do think that Taylor will be great one day, but at the moment taylor is our 4th choice centre back and definately not a captain.

Taylor captain?!

He's a decent defender with potential, you talk about Geremi's "dismal" showings yet Taylor has been piss poor this season, nearly cost us the game against Villa by fannying around with it and easily out muscled by Mido for Boro's goal.

He had as many bad games as good ones last season too.

he appears (althoguht he stats thing has been interesting) to have played better than Geremi so far.

Out of the limited choices we had, he'd have been my choice.

Geremi, in my opinion, was too new to be captain.

Guest optimistic nit

Why did we buy him for around £2million was it?

He can play at centre half when he have got Taylor Rozenhal Cacapa Edgar Ramage

Centre midfield when we have got far too many to start with!

Yes he could cover a centre half position if 2 of them were injured but £2million is a waste for someone to sit on the bench?

unless big sam will drop someone for him which i hope he doesnt! Cant drop roz cacapa taylor or any centre midfielder

Answered your own question there I think.

£2million out of the window now though for someone to sit on the bench! we couldve got someone for free to do that

aye but they would have been shite. the same logic saw pav as our third keeper last season, if we had got injuries then we're fucked.

he's supposed to be a very good defender and defensive mid. I am a big fan of last season's butt (and this seasons) but without faye he would have no real competition, and faye may well be better than him anyway.

also if cacapa or rozy gets injured i have less confidence in taylor than faye stepping in. I know NM says he's ironed out most of the things that troubled him last season, but he's only played 4 games so far, and at 21/22 he's still a bit young to be a regular starting centre half imo. Also if we play Beye-Cacapa-Rozy-Enrique then we have  a back 4 with no premiership experience. Faye has premiership experience which could prove to be a real asset this season.

Cacapa 's recently record doesn't suggest he is the type of player who never gets injured either. I know he had the dispute but from what I remember his record before that wasn't great either.

We will get injuries and I would much rather have someone of his quality step in than someone we got on a free who is free for a reason! (That said I still think Faye will start more than people expect).

Tsylor is the only CB so far this season to make a mistake that cost us, against boro. he isn't as good as faye, his positioning and reading of the game are quite poor, however his recovery, and heading are good. Faye is as good as taylor at heading recovering and tackling, and much better at positioning and reading of the game. He is a superior player at the minute to Taylor, however i do think that Taylor will be great one day, but at the moment taylor is our 4th choice centre back and definately not a captain.

Ouch, thats pretty wrong. imho.

Yes he could cover a centre half position if 2 of them were injured but £2million is a waste for someone to sit on the bench?

No, its not. Its at least what you'd expect to pay if you're a top 6 side for a useful sub, surely??

We paid £6m for Smith, who isn't even that useful a sub for a top 6 team.