Geremi - Can We Drop Our Captain?

Shak

I think Butt is underrated going forward. He seems to get himself into good positions when he ventures forward, should be encouraged to do it a bit more I think/

Let's not mention the finishing than, shall we. ;)

But i agree in the respect that he's been getting forward a surprising amount this season - i noticed that significantly against Barnsley; he loitered around the edge of the box quite frequently and made one or two runs in.

That doesn't mean that that's his game though and he hasn't played it particularly well - he's just been told to do it because Emre and Barton (the natural attackers) are out.

I think Butt is underrated going forward. He seems to get himself into good positions when he ventures forward, should be encouraged to do it a bit more I think/

A match fit Nicky Butt would have stuck them away.

A match fit Nicky Butt would have stuck them away.

:lol: Edited post btw.

Geremi may do his work quietly, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do any. Geremi had the highest pass accuracy in the midfield in the game against Wigan (79%), and he also made more passes than any other player in the team (70, which is more than twice Butt's 33). Furthermore, he won more balls than any other player in the team.

Got all that from the Telegraph :shifty:.

Not surprised to hear all this really. Like I said he is a lot like Gilberto, a very disciplined holding midfielder who stays on his feet and wins the ball by being in the right position at the right time. Not as noticeable as the occassional crunching tackle by Butt, but far more effective. Geremi plays the position the right way if you ask me.

Geremi may do his work quietly, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do any. Geremi had the highest pass accuracy in the midfield in the game against Wigan (79%), and he also made more passes than any other player in the team (70, which is more than twice Butt's 33). Furthermore, he won more balls than any other player in the team.

Not surprised to hear all this really. Like I said he is a lot like Gilberto, a very disciplined holding midfielder who stays on his feet and wins the ball by being in the right position at the right time. Not as noticeable as the occassional crunching tackle by Butt, but far more effective. Geremi plays the position the right way if you ask me.

Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Gattuso?

None of them play/played the position the right way do they?

Could we? Yes. Should we? No.

Stick him in with an offensive player in a 4-4-2 and he'll be in there doing a very decent job. What sort of creative centre-midfield do you want from a Nicky Butt/Geremi partnership? Never mind Alan 'the grafter' Smith. How long's Emre out for?

Butt and Barton in the middle for me if we're going for a straight up 4-4-2 with genuine width.

Geremi is fine in a 3-man midfield, but excels neither going forward or protecting the back 4 so he's not suited to 4-4-2 I don't think.

Are these guys holding midfielders like Gilberto and Makelele though? I'm not so sure. Keane and Viera were more box to box players who broke up play all over the pitch, than holding midfielders who protected the back four. Wasn't Viera partnered with Gilberto afterall?

Are these guys holding midfielders like Gilberto and Makelele though? I'm not so sure. Keane and Viera were more box to box players who broke up play all over the pitch, than holding midfielders who protected the back four. Wasn't Viera partnered with Gilberto afterall?

To be fair, those three players I listed are as good as it gets as DM's and are a little more all-action than someone like Gilberto. But I'd consider them DM's definitely as they do their best work when the opposition has the ball.

It's beside the point anyway, as Geremi is nowhere near as good defensively from what I've seen of him as Makelele or Gilberto. Just because he doesn't throw himself into tackles doesn't somehow make him a cleverer player than Butt or anything, and Bolton's goal in our first game of the season is a good indication that his defensive mind isn't all that great, needlessly commiting himself to a ball that wasn't really there to be won.

To be fair, those three players I listed are as good as it gets as DM's and are a little more all-action than someone like Gilberto. But I'd consider them DM's definitely as they do their best work when the opposition has the ball.

It's beside the point anyway, as Geremi is nowhere near as good defensively from what I've seen of him as Makelele or Gilberto. Just because he doesn't throw himself into tackles doesn't somehow make him a cleverer player than Butt or anything, and Bolton's goal in our first game of the season is a good indication that his defensive mind isn't all that great, needlessly commiting himself to a ball that wasn't really there to be won.

Butt has over committed himself on a number of times too, so I think you are bieng a bit unfair to Geremi for that one mistake. Also, the stats apprently show he has won more balls than Butt and has a far higher pass percentage according to the Telegraph thingy.

i'd drop butt.

we'd lose something in set pieces if geremi was omitted

Not so far we wouldnt.  Ever since the season started properly his set peices have been appalling

Good corner for Taylor to hit the bar on Saturday.

Anyway, it's typical Newcastle fans to pick on a player straight away like this (not saying you have Shak, but some people on here definitely have). He's not Roy Keane, nor is he Matty Pattison, he's in between and he's a good player. Maybe if he hadn't played so well in pre-season he wouldn't be getting this, but I'm sure from a couple of games in the summer some people thought they were getting Platini.

I think Sam acted hastily when he gave the captaincy to Geremi - it looks to me as if having that thrust on him has affected his game ; he hasn't been half as effective since.

The deed is done now, but I wish it had been given to Capaca - the guy was captain of Lyon in 5 title-winning seasons and looks an inspiring player who would have led by example.

To me, he is the natural choice.

I think Sam acted hastily when he gave the captaincy to Geremi - it looks to me as if having that thrust on him has affected his game ; he hasn't been half as effective since.

The deed is done now, but I wish it had been given to Capaca - the guy was captain of Lyon in 5 title-winning seasons and looks an inspiring player who would have led by example.

To me, he is the natural choice.

As the statistics show, he was the most influential player on Saturday.

Of course he isn't going to look as good as he did pre-season, as pre-season opposition played at a lower tempo.

Being at the game on Saturday I was extremely impressed with Geremi - he seemed to be at the heart of everything, in the right place at the right time. The stats also bear that out. The only disappointment were his free kicks (corners are Ok though), but now that Nobby is gone we don't realistically have anyone else, Milner's free kicks are pretty poor, Emre's are atrocious, I suppose the Zog may be a contender.

I'm disappointed that people would be so negative so early about a new player who's played less than a dozen games for us. He's good now but once he settles he'll be even better. And captain wise he talks about 6 languages, he's articulate and I can't see him hiding from the cameras in defeat like Parker so often did.

He'll only be "dropped" if he's injured.

Geremi will only get better. I'm sure he is re-adjusting to not only being a first team player again, but also being back in the holding midfield position (where he began his career at Real Madrid).

We all saw how much Butt initially struggled when he moved over here. I have no doubt Geremi will get better and better, and I already happen to think he has been solid already anyway.

If needs must then yes of course we can drop him. Great competition now for those three central spots with gerremi, Butt, Faye, Smith, Emre and possibly Zoggy too all competing.

Good player though like him alot, some have gone way overboard with a very average performance. But he's a grafter with skill, hard to beat, good passing, good atitude and can shoot too! 

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=pressure-builds-for-geremi%26method=full%26objectid=19741529%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Pressure builds for Geremi

Sep 6 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

GEREMI last night insisted that, despite having been appointed Newcastle’s captain this summer, he will not take regular first-team football for granted at St James’s Park.

The Cameroon international has not missed a single minute for the Magpies this season but, having seen Sam Allardyce assemble a strong squad, an in-form footballer knows he will have to maintain his standards in order to retain his place.

It is something Geremi is determined to do having spent too long on the Stamford Bridge sidelines during a four-year career at Chelsea in which he was, at times, a peripheral figure in Jose Mourinho’s plans. It was the chance to increase his involvement that persuaded the 28-year-old to head to the North-East this summer. But suggestions that Allardyce’s decision to hand him the armband will ensure a regular role have been dismissed, with Geremi adamant that being installed as St James’s Park skipper has no significance when it comes to team selection.

“Being captain doesn’t mean you’re in the side every week,” explained the African, who has started and finished all five first-team fixtures this season. “You still have to work and you still have to earn your place. Being captain is a responsible job. You have to be the man and set a good example.

“I decided to leave Chelsea because I wanted to join a club where I would get more games. I wasn’t a regular in the team at Chelsea and, when I got the chance to come here, I didn’t have to think for long. I spoke to the manager and he told me his plans and I agreed to come. It wasn’t a difficult decision. I was delighted when he made me his captain. But I won’t be in the Newcastle team unless I deserve to be.”

Geremi’s performances so far this season have vindicated his selection, but with Joey Barton having yet to kick a ball for the club in a competitive fixture, the competition for places will further increase this month.

It is something the club’s captain welcomes and, with Allardyce keen to challenge on three fronts this season, the versatile former Real Madrid schemer expects there will be times when he is asked to sit on the sidelines.

“There are lots of matches in this league and there are the other competitions as well,” he said. “We need a big squad and we need cover in all positions. If you’re not playing, you need to rest and make sure you’re right when you get your chance. What we have here is a squad that can compete in all the competitions.”

With competition in all positions, it remains to be seen whether Allardyce can keep all his senior players satisfied this season. Shay Given was frustrated having spent last weekend’s game against Wigan on the bench, Michael Owen was picked in preference to Obafemi Martins and Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye – the club’s eighth, ninth and final summer signings – will have to be accommodated in a defence that has impressed during the campaign’s opening month.

United’s manager will hope all his players are as understanding as Geremi. The midfielder knows strength in depth is crucial and, although he is determined to retain his midfield place, he knows all will have roles to fulfil.

“It was important to make those signings before the deadline because we’ve some injuries and we needed to strengthen,” added a player confident Newcastle can maintain their momentum. “To be a team with big ambition you have to have a good squad. We’ve signed two more great players and we will need them.

“So far the season has gone well and everything’s good. We’ve got a new squad and we’re trying to gel together. What’s good is that even while we’re doing that, we’re getting results. By the time we’ve all gelled together, we’ll be even better.”

Newcastle’s Carling Cup third-round tie at Arsenal will be played on Tuesday, September 25 (7.45pm).

A NEW record will be set on October 6 with only one of the weekend’s 10 Premier League games starting at the traditional Saturday 3pm kick-off time.

Eight matches will take place on Sunday, October 7 and another at 12.45pm on the Saturday. Due to the demands of television and involvement with the Uefa Cup, only Aston Villa v West Ham remains a 3pm Saturday kick-off.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=pressure-builds-for-geremi%26method=full%26objectid=19741529%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Pressure builds for Geremi

Sep 6 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

GEREMI last night insisted that, despite having been appointed Newcastles captain this summer, he will not take regular first-team football for granted at St Jamess Park.

The Cameroon international has not missed a single minute for the Magpies this season but, having seen Sam Allardyce assemble a strong squad, an in-form footballer knows he will have to maintain his standards in order to retain his place.

It is something Geremi is determined to do having spent too long on the Stamford Bridge sidelines during a four-year career at Chelsea in which he was, at times, a peripheral figure in Jose Mourinhos plans. It was the chance to increase his involvement that persuaded the 28-year-old to head to the North-East this summer. But suggestions that Allardyces decision to hand him the armband will ensure a regular role have been dismissed, with Geremi adamant that being installed as St Jamess Park skipper has no significance when it comes to team selection.

Being captain doesnt mean youre in the side every week, explained the African, who has started and finished all five first-team fixtures this season. You still have to work and you still have to earn your place. Being captain is a responsible job. You have to be the man and set a good example.

I decided to leave Chelsea because I wanted to join a club where I would get more games. I wasnt a regular in the team at Chelsea and, when I got the chance to come here, I didnt have to think for long. I spoke to the manager and he told me his plans and I agreed to come. It wasnt a difficult decision. I was delighted when he made me his captain. But I wont be in the Newcastle team unless I deserve to be.

Geremis performances so far this season have vindicated his selection, but with Joey Barton having yet to kick a ball for the club in a competitive fixture, the competition for places will further increase this month.

It is something the clubs captain welcomes and, with Allardyce keen to challenge on three fronts this season, the versatile former Real Madrid schemer expects there will be times when he is asked to sit on the sidelines.

There are lots of matches in this league and there are the other competitions as well, he said. We need a big squad and we need cover in all positions. If youre not playing, you need to rest and make sure youre right when you get your chance. What we have here is a squad that can compete in all the competitions.

With competition in all positions, it remains to be seen whether Allardyce can keep all his senior players satisfied this season. Shay Given was frustrated having spent last weekends game against Wigan on the bench, Michael Owen was picked in preference to Obafemi Martins and Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye the clubs eighth, ninth and final summer signings will have to be accommodated in a defence that has impressed during the campaigns opening month.

Uniteds manager will hope all his players are as understanding as Geremi. The midfielder knows strength in depth is crucial and, although he is determined to retain his midfield place, he knows all will have roles to fulfil.

It was important to make those signings before the deadline because weve some injuries and we needed to strengthen, added a player confident Newcastle can maintain their momentum. To be a team with big ambition you have to have a good squad. Weve signed two more great players and we will need them.

So far the season has gone well and everythings good. Weve got a new squad and were trying to gel together. Whats good is that even while were doing that, were getting results. By the time weve all gelled together, well be even better.

Newcastles Carling Cup third-round tie at Arsenal will be played on Tuesday, September 25 (7.45pm).

A NEW record will be set on October 6 with only one of the weekends 10 Premier League games starting at the traditional Saturday 3pm kick-off time.

Eight matches will take place on Sunday, October 7 and another at 12.45pm on the Saturday. Due to the demands of television and involvement with the Uefa Cup, only Aston Villa v West Ham remains a 3pm Saturday kick-off.

Spoken like a true captain.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that this question needs opening up again. In the very near future I would suggest that Geremi & Butt will be competing for 1 place in midfield. Milner should play on the right, Barton will have a place in the middle & Zog should be on the left (with Enrique LB). Our shape was so much better with this set up.

Smith should not be even considered to play midfield & Emre has a hell of a job on to get into the team once fit (as has Duff).

Geremi or Butt? Not much between them though I'd pick Butt if asked now.

I think that this question needs opening up again. In the very near future I would suggest that Geremi & Butt will be competing for 1 place in midfield. Milner should play on the right, Barton will have a place in the middle & Zog should be on the left (with Enrique LB). Our shape was so much better with this set up.

Smith should not be even considered to play midfield & Emre has a hell of a job on to get into the team once fit (as has Duff).

Geremi or Butt? Not much between them though I'd pick Butt if asked now.

Even though Geremi started the moves that led to the first and third goals on Sunday?

Guest Knightrider

Geremi, like most of the team, has made a solid if not spectacular start to his United career. He's neither been excellent nor poor, just, well, OK. Like any new player however he will need time to become a true part of the team in every sense of the word. He was signed for several reasons in my opinion and doesn't deserve to be dropped just yet. Perhaps moved around to the right at times, but until we get all the players back and put out our number one midfield quartet, which may or may not include Geremi, I'll reserve judgment. He was very good against West Ham I thought and for me his best position is in between the back-four and midfield picking the ball up and playing it to others or using his energy, experience and strength to win it back by way of pressing and nicking balls, which he does very well. If we're expecting him to create however, I'd say that would be a harsh or unfair expectation. Alongside Barton and with pace and width on the flanks, I think he'll make his his role his own. I like him and rate him, he's a good player. Off the field he seems to be a real man's man too, helping out N'Zogbia a great deal according to the manager.

Guest Knightrider

RE to the question at hand. The manager won't be afraid to drop anyone. He's already made some big decisions team selection wise since he took over, dropping Shay and Oba and at the weekend Taylor. He's his own man and will always do what he feels is best for the team and individual, but with the team or club obviously coming first.

I was all for giving Geremi time to bed in in midfield as he impressed me in that position pre season, him and Butt make a poor partnership though and Geremi seems to only want to pass it sideways or backwards, maybe he'll be better when Barton gets fit but as it stands I don't think these two work well together.