Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest king harry

According to the tabloids today, Liverpool may try to sign him in January. Might see him as a long term replacement for carragher

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

According to the tabloids today, Liverpool may try to sign him in January. Might see him as a long term replacement for carragher

I hope so :lol:

Cant really see the funny in that.

He isn't being over sensitive at all. Some are clearly claiming he is comparing Gerrard and Carragher in terms of ability rather than situation.

Rubbish.

The last quote of the article, Yet I do not see this being a problem at Liverpool with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher (about clubs exploiting local players loyalty to pay them less money) is also very worrying. We're talking about two established internationals that are a succesful, regular champions leauge clubs two most influential and consistent players - the fact his Dads comparing his lad to them is frightning.

overrated atm.. i think i am the only fan who does not think he is a great or even good defender.  yes i admit he has bags of potential but it remains to be seen that he is able to fulfill them.  For me, he shld be behind CB behind experienced defenders of better pedigree like Roz, Casapa and even Faye.  Him rejecting the contract (unless it is less 10k per week) seems to tell me that he thinks he is already a key player for the club which obviously is not.  The most he is worth now is 15k and to think that his father compares the current contract suituation to that of Stevie G and Carragher is really incredible.

alf taylor = alf garnett more like

he aint got a clue and he is saying some stupid things.

Comparing his his son with Gerrard and Carragher.

He sounds like he should just stick to gardening and stop insulting the intelligence of the supporters.

The Sunday Sun say that Milner is on £30K per week and that the offer to Taylor would have to be increased by 60% to match that.

If true I think Taylor has a right to feel aggrieved.

If he needs an increase of 60% to get to 30k he's been earning too much on his current contract for his level of ability and stage of development. Mind you, I wouldn't pay Milner 30k pw anyway. Not that this is a comparison worth making either.

Every paper I have read this morning says numerous teams have been alerted to his availibility and will make moves in January.

Oh well. As long as the club gets what he's worth and brings in another 4th choice CB as replacement I won't be worrying too much.

Guest Sniffer

If the reports are true, I wonder why a club like Liverpool would be interested so interested in signing Taylor...... and presumably giving him the contract he wants when these cut price thirty year olds are available that they can pick up on 3 year contracts?

Taylor is one our best young talents and indeed one of englands, it would be sad to see him go.

He wont go, I fully expect we'll offer him an improved contract.

After shit stirring one day, its worth noting that Oliver attempted to back track and say the club were planning further talks the very next day.  Nothing more than him trying to be sensational.

Guest king harry

Better than Lescott to be honest

Better than Lescott to be honest

I'm not going to take that bait :)

Guest Knightrider

I can see both sides of every argument tbh, however I'll side with Taylor on this one. If the club decided to get rid though I'd support them 100% and would have to trust their judgment. Think it would come back to haunt us though. Tough one this for all concerned. Cave in and give the player what he wants and it could set a dangerous precedent, don't cave in and see Taylor turn into a star at another club. Bonus related pay schemes is where it's at NUFC. Stack Taylor's with lots of them.

Big test of Big Sam and Ashley/Mort, this?

I say because it splits opinion, as this thread alone shows.

completely agree.

Lets hope penny pinching ways doesn't lose the best player we've brought through for a while. We never heard Steve Watson, Lee Clark, Robbie Elliott etc having contract problems like this. BTW, I fully understand the point made by Steve Taylors dad, and I agree with him. If Newcastle United want to match the Liverpools of this world, they have to behave like them with things like this.

Merlin has made a good point, it depends how much Allardyce rates him. I can't see how Allarydce wouldn't rate him as being worth one of the biggest contracts at the club. So if Taylor goes, I for one would like to know why, and if it is because Sam doesn't rate him, then I wouldn't agree but would accept his decision as he is the manager and so must be allowed to make his own judgements.

Guest Knightrider

completely agree.

Lets hope penny pinching ways doesn't lose the best player we've brought through for a while. We never heard Steve Watson, Lee Clark, Robbie Elliott etc having contract problems like this. BTW, I fully understand the point made by Steve Taylors dad, and I agree with him. If Newcastle United want to match the Liverpools of this world, they have to behave like them with things like this.

Merlin has made a good point, it depends how much Allardyce rates him. I can't see how Allarydce wouldn't rate him as being worth one of the biggest contracts at the club. So if Taylor goes, I for one would like to know why, and if it is because Sam doesn't rate him, then I wouldn't agree but would accept his decision as he is the manager and so must be allowed to make his own judgements.

For me the pros far outweight the cons.

For one Taylor has every right to demand more, given that he's seen wasters get paid fortunes for doing nowt, that's not his problem that's the culture in which the club allowed to develop, he's just tapping into and lets be honest, Geordie or no Geordie, he wants well paid for what he does, we all would and to say otherwise would go against human nature.

Secondly, the club have to weigh up his real value. He cost the club nowt and can effectively save us tens of millions should he stay here for his career duration.

I doubt he's wanting to be the highest paid player at the club, he will however want to be put on parity with the likes of N'Zogbia or newcomers like Beye and again, he has every right.

If I were the club I'd pay him what he wants, but I'd go one step further, I'd say right:

We think you have lots of talent, and we value you. But you aren't worth what we're paying you at the moment. We can bring in another Cacapa on a free and pay him what you're going to get and he'll give us fantastic performances. But we're long term thinkers here and want you to be the bedrock of that defence for years to come, our John Terry if you like. We will pay you what you want now, but unless you improve drastically, you won't be getting a new contract here.

So here is the deal.

We will review your contract every 18 months and based on

Appearances

Goals

Clean sheets

England call ups

Good discipline on and off the pitch

European qualification

Trophies

We'll keep upgrading during the length of your contract.

See what he says.

That way you get him to commit, but you also promise to look after him for years to come.

And I'd do that with all long term contracts to be honest.

completely agree.

For me the pros far outweight the cons.

For one Taylor has every right to demand more, given that he's seen wasters get paid fortunes for doing nowt, that's not his problem that's the culture in which the club allowed to develop, he's just tapping into and lets be honest, Geordie or no Geordie, he wants well paid for what he does, we all would and to say otherwise would go against human nature.

Secondly, the club have to weigh up his real value. He cost the club nowt and can effectively save us tens of millions should he stay here for his career duration.

I doubt he's wanting to be the highest paid player at the club, he will however want to be put on parity with the likes of N'Zogbia or newcomers like Beye and again, he has every right.

If I were the club I'd pay him what he wants, but I'd go one step further, I'd say right:

We think you have lots of talent, and we value you. But you aren't worth what we're paying you at the moment. We can bring in another Cacapa on a free and pay him what you're going to get and he'll give us fantastic performances. But we're long term thinkers here and want you to be the bedrock of that defence for years to come, our John Terry if you like. We will pay you what you want now, but unless you improve drastically, you won't be getting a new contract here.

So here is the deal.

We will review your contract every 18 months and based on

Appearances

Goals

Clean sheets

England call ups

Good discipline on and off the pitch

European qualification

Trophies

We'll keep upgrading during the length of your contract.

See what he says.

That way you get him to commit, but you also promise to look after him for years to come.

And I'd do that with all long term contracts to be honest.

I couldn't agree more with everything you say there. I only wish this is how we negotiate contracts in the future.