Freddie Shepherd to buy Leeds?!

Guest sicko2ndbest

To those saying Shepherd would back Leeds' manager with funds better than Bates, may I ask where these funds would be coming from? Genuinely wondering.

Don't know, Dave. How does any club find the cash? I know there is the odd sarcastic remark about Fred not putting in his own cash, but there aren't that many who do.

He'll get the support and backing from somewhere. Leeds has a massive potential, only a fool would disagree with that and this might just be a good time for some people to throw some weight behind a serious effort to recover.

Fred will at least try to make a better fist of it than Bates, which is all I'm saying.

Right man for the job there then. Bu dum tish!  :razz:

oh well.

Whatever.

Can't believe people would rather have Ken bloody Bates than Shepherd mind.

i would rather have Elton fucking John's boyfriend, old man.. debate this

I'm the same age as Allardyce, silly boy.

And if you prefer Ken Bates to Shepherd, you want your brain testing. You clearly don't know much about Bates, or the mess he left Chelsea in .

Didn't they get more European football than Newcastle in his time there?  And buy England internationals?

As I said to the other boy, junkhead, do some research. You could start by reading this.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/2336/matthew.html

followed by this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Bates

worth noting is the fact that Chelsea were a shambles of a club, with a tatty ground, hated by almost everyone, going nowhere until Harding stepped into the boardroom, and input the finance.

Also worth noting is on numerous occasions, I have mentioned Bates along with others, to the "anyone but Fred" brigade, and not one single person actually said they would prefer him to Shepherd as chairman/owner/influential director of Newcastle.

Also worth noting is Ken Bates thinks Kevin Keegan was a failure at Newcastle as a manager, then he goes and hires Denis Wise

mackems.gif

Last night I had a few pints with a friend of mine who is a Leeds supporter and told him about this. He would be quite happy to get rid of Bates and replace him with Fred.

As I said, do some research

With the investment he gaves us ie transfer budjets etc this is brilliant for them

it was the club's money and the club's debt. it didn't come from Shepherd's pockets.

i'm really curious what else can Shepherd offer to football besides wasting loads of money on trophy players and willie mckay rejects..

silly agenda driven nonsense

Great wikipedia link there NE5

By the end of his chairmanship Stamford Bridge had been substantially refurbished and modernised, while he had become (at the time) Chelsea's most successful chairman. The club had won several major trophies and were consistently finishing in the top six of the Premiership, with a top-class playing squad containing the likes of Gianfranco Zola and Marcel Desailly. However, its future was threatened by an estimated debt burden of £80 million.

:kasper:

That sounds like the shepherd story here - only without the trophies and the consistent top 6 finishes.

********sits back and awaits the inevitable response of ' pre 1992 s*** board/4th best finishes over last 10 years/skyboy with an axe to grind etc etc etc'*******************

By the end of his chairmanship Stamford Bridge had been substantially refurbished and modernised, while he had become (at the time) Chelsea's most successful chairman. The club had won several major trophies and were consistently finishing in the top six of the Premiership, with a top-class playing squad containing the likes of Gianfranco Zola and Marcel Desailly. However, its future was threatened by an estimated debt burden of £80 million.

That sounds like the shepherd story here - only without the trophies and the consistent top 6 finishes.

********sits back and awaits the inevitable response of ' pre 1992 s*** board/4th best finishes over last 10 years/skyboy with an axe to grind etc etc etc'*******************

not like you to read the bit that suits you, I reckon you need a better light in your shed  mackems.gif

Also, do some research on Chelsea Village, and the points others have mentioned that Chelsea were bust and in danger of liquidation because of these ground improvements.

I know that this will be too much for you to understand.

here is the complete entry, to save you the bother in fact.

Chelsea Football Club

Bates purchased Chelsea F.C. in 1982 for £1. When he purchased the club they were in serious financial trouble, and threatened with relegation to the Third Division, as well being tarnished by a notorious hooligan element among their support. He fought (and, through sheer persistence, eventually won) a long-running legal battle with property developers, Marler Estates, who had purchased a substantial portion of the freehold of Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's home ground. He re-united the freehold with the club (and thus secured its future) after Marler's bankruptcy following a market crash, which allowed him to do a deal with their banks and create the Chelsea Pitch Owners, an organisation set-up to stave off future developers. He also did much to rid the club of its hooligan problem, made a public show of support for Paul Canoville who, as Chelsea's first black player, had been targeted for racist abuse by a section of the support, and attempted to make the club more financially viable.

Bates' time at Chelsea was nothing if not controversial. Nine managers came and went, several of whom were sacked in contentious circumstances.[4][5] He alienated many of the club's supporters by proposing that electric fences be used to keep them off the pitch - though in the event his planning application was rejected by the GLC on the grounds of health and safety - and then by banning several members of Chelsea's successful 1970s side, such as Ron Harris and Peter Osgood, for perceived criticism of his methods. His match-day programme notes, in which he often attacked various individuals, were also controversial. In 2002 he was sued for libel by Chelsea supporter David Johnstone after describing fans' group, the Chelsea Independent Supporters Association, as parasites; Bates eventually settled out of court.[6]

During the 1990s, he was involved in a bitter dispute with Chelsea benefactor and vice-chairman, Matthew Harding, over the club's future direction, which led to Harding being banned from the Chelsea boardroom. The dispute was ultimately only ended by Harding's death in a helicopter crash in 1996. Bates sparked further controversy by later describing Harding as an "evil man".[7] In January 2000, following a 5th Round FA Cup tie defeat by Chelsea for his Leicester City side, Martin O'Neill voiced the thoughts of many in a press room outburst. O'Neill said: 'On top of everything, you get footballing cretins like Ken Bates writing in his programme notes that we would come along and play for penalties.' Bates' response was it "takes one to know one."

By the end of his chairmanship Stamford Bridge had been substantially refurbished and modernised, while he had become (at the time) Chelsea's most successful chairman. The club had won several major trophies and were consistently finishing in the top six of the Premiership, with a top-class playing squad containing the likes of Gianfranco Zola and Marcel Desailly. However, its future was threatened by an estimated debt burden of £80 million. In 2003 he sold the club to Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramovich, making a £17million profit. After the takeover Bates was investigated by the FSA for allegedly owning undeclared shares in Chelsea Village plc, but the case was eventually dropped.[8] He stayed on as club chairman until March 2004, when he announced his resignation. Within a couple of weeks of his departure he was back in the limelight as he wrote a one off column in the Bolton Wanderers matchday programme, ironically and somewhat incidentally against Chelsea.

[edit] FA and Wembley Stadium

Bates was an active member of the Football Association Executive and was involved in the early stages of the project to rebuild Wembley Stadium and was appointed chairman of Wembley National Stadium Ltd in 1997. He resigned in 2001, citing a lack of support from the board[9]. Irked at the lack of progress, he later suggested that the best way to move the project forward was to shoot then-Minister for Sport, Kate Hoey.[10]

I couldn't care a toss about Leeds, Bates or Shepherd but I find it hilarious that Freddie's love children still feel the need to carry on defending him. He's Henry VIII, history. I prefer to look forward to NUFC's future without him.

not like you to read the bit that suits you, I reckon you need a better light in your shed  mackems.gif

Also, do some research on Chelsea Village, and the points others have mentioned that Chelsea were bust and in danger of liquidation because of these ground improvements.

Chelsea Football Club

Bates purchased Chelsea F.C. in 1982 for £1. When he purchased the club they were in serious financial trouble, and threatened with relegation to the Third Division, as well being tarnished by a notorious hooligan element among their support. He fought (and, through sheer persistence, eventually won) a long-running legal battle with property developers, Marler Estates, who had purchased a substantial portion of the freehold of Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's home ground. He re-united the freehold with the club (and thus secured its future) after Marler's bankruptcy following a market crash, which allowed him to do a deal with their banks and create the Chelsea Pitch Owners, an organisation set-up to stave off future developers. He also did much to rid the club of its hooligan problem, made a public show of support for Paul Canoville who, as Chelsea's first black player, had been targeted for racist abuse by a section of the support, and attempted to make the club more financially viable.

Bates' time at Chelsea was nothing if not controversial. Nine managers came and went, several of whom were sacked in contentious circumstances.[4][5] He alienated many of the club's supporters by proposing that electric fences be used to keep them off the pitch - though in the event his planning application was rejected by the GLC on the grounds of health and safety - and then by banning several members of Chelsea's successful 1970s side, such as Ron Harris and Peter Osgood, for perceived criticism of his methods. His match-day programme notes, in which he often attacked various individuals, were also controversial. In 2002 he was sued for libel by Chelsea supporter David Johnstone after describing fans' group, the Chelsea Independent Supporters Association, as parasites; Bates eventually settled out of court.[6]

During the 1990s, he was involved in a bitter dispute with Chelsea benefactor and vice-chairman, Matthew Harding, over the club's future direction, which led to Harding being banned from the Chelsea boardroom. The dispute was ultimately only ended by Harding's death in a helicopter crash in 1996. Bates sparked further controversy by later describing Harding as an "evil man".[7] In January 2000, following a 5th Round FA Cup tie defeat by Chelsea for his Leicester City side, Martin O'Neill voiced the thoughts of many in a press room outburst. O'Neill said: 'On top of everything, you get footballing cretins like Ken Bates writing in his programme notes that we would come along and play for penalties.' Bates' response was it "takes one to know one."

By the end of his chairmanship Stamford Bridge had been substantially refurbished and modernised, while he had become (at the time) Chelsea's most successful chairman. The club had won several major trophies and were consistently finishing in the top six of the Premiership, with a top-class playing squad containing the likes of Gianfranco Zola and Marcel Desailly. However, its future was threatened by an estimated debt burden of £80 million. In 2003 he sold the club to Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramovich, making a £17million profit. After the takeover Bates was investigated by the FSA for allegedly owning undeclared shares in Chelsea Village plc, but the case was eventually dropped.[8] He stayed on as club chairman until March 2004, when he announced his resignation. Within a couple of weeks of his departure he was back in the limelight as he wrote a one off column in the Bolton Wanderers matchday programme, ironically and somewhat incidentally against Chelsea.

Bates was an active member of the Football Association Executive and was involved in the early stages of the project to rebuild Wembley Stadium and was appointed chairman of Wembley National Stadium Ltd in 1997. He resigned in 2001, citing a lack of support from the board[9]. Irked at the lack of progress, he later suggested that the best way to move the project forward was to shoot then-Minister for Sport, Kate Hoey.[10]

What a fabulously witty first line, you must be a highly amusing person (to yourself)

Try addressing these points I picked out from YOUR link

1 Bates was Chelsea's most successful chairmen in his time - Freddie wasn't ours

2  Chelsea won loads of trophies in Bates time - we won fuck all under Fat Fred (unless you count the inter toto - I can't remember a victory parade for that one can you?)

3  Consistent top 6 finishes

4 Bates pissed off with Chelsea £80 million in debt - sound familiar?

Do try to answer these 4 points without the personal attacks

I couldn't care a toss about Leeds, Bates or Shepherd but I find it hilarious that Freddie's love children still feel the need to carry on defending him. He's Henry VIII, history. I prefer to look forward to NUFC's future without him.

Indeed.

Perhaps they will stop humping Freddies leg if/when he does get his hands on Leeds (on this forum anyway)

Chelsea Football Club

What a fabulously witty first line, you must be a highly amusing person (to yourself)

Try addressing these points I picked out from YOUR link

1 Bates was Chelsea's most successful chairmen in his time - Freddie wasn't ours

2  Chelsea won loads of trophies in Bates time - we won fuck all under Fat Fred (unless you count the inter toto - I can't remember a victory parade for that one can you?)

3  Consistent top 6 finishes

4 Bates pissed off with Chelsea £80 million in debt - sound familiar?

Do try to answer these 4 points without the personal attacks

As I have pointed out on numerous occasions, the only time we achieved 3 consecutive top 5 finishes in the last 50 years, was when Shepherd was chairman. Fact.

As I said, read the links, most Chelsea fans will tell you Harding and the finance and direction he input was instrumental in Chelsea winning those cups, not Bates.

I understand that such things are beyond your capability to work out, just like blaming Shepherd for all of Newcastle's terrible last decade of only playing in europe more than 4 other teams, you also credit Bates with Chelsea's success.

You must be an entertaining bloke yourself, with such an amusing username.

It's as hilarious as your lack of perception.

On a football level :

What do you think of Bates saying Keegan was a failure who won nowt, then appointed Denis Wise ? What do you think of Bates apponting that hopeless failure Gullit ? What do you think of him sacking his manager early in the season and replacing him with an untried coach, Vialli ?

Guest Knightrider

To use Bates' time as Chelsea Chairman to say Freddy Shepherd is the better Chairman is daft because his Chelsea were far more successful than Freddie's NUFC in terms of league placing and trophies won and both clubs were left in the same debt, £80m or whatever it was. Unlike Bates however who actually saved Chelsea when he first took over, Freddy took over  a club second only to Man Utd in the country on the back of the biggest flotation of a football club in history. Furthermore, Bates knew he had to sell Chelsea to keep the club going, and he did that and boy did he find a good buyer. Freddy was forced out of NUFC.

The job Bates did at Chelsea was nothing short of excellent, and backed up by hard evidence in the name of silverware, Freddy's time at Newcastle in contrast was a failure except a few key seasons with Sir Bobby as manager.

Btw I would rather have Freddy as my club's Chairman over Bates, but it isn't down to ability, but character and given that I'd lump Freddy in with Bates as an odious little man too, but less so, my preference is still akin to scraping the barrel.

As to whether FS would do any good at Leeds, I doubt it, they need mega money to get back to where they once stood, and Bates is far more likely to return them there than FS, if only because he has better contacts.

Indeed.

Perhaps they will stop humping Freddies leg if/when he does get his hands on Leeds (on this forum anyway)

what a witty response. I bet you're a really entertaining person  mackems.gif

To use Bates' time as Chelsea Chairman to say Freddy Shepherd is the better Chairman is daft because his Chelsea were far more successful than Freddie's NUFC in terms of league placing and trophies won and both clubs were left in the same debt, £80m or whatever it was. Unlike Bates however who actually saved Chelsea when he first took over, Freddy took over  a club second only to Man Utd in the country on the back of the biggest flotation of a football club in history. Furthermore, Bates knew he had to sell Chelsea to keep the club going, and he did that and boy did he find a good buyer. Freddy was forced out of NUFC.

The job Bates did at Chelsea was nothing short of excellent, and backed up by hard evidence in the name of silverware, Freddy's time at Newcastle in contrast was a failure except a few key seasons with Sir Bobby as manager.

Btw I would rather have Freddy as my club's Chairman over Bates, but it isn't down to ability , but character and given that I'd lump Freddy in with Bates as an odious little man too, but less so, my preference is still akin to scraping the barrel.

As to whether FS would do any good at Leeds, I doubt it, they need mega money to get back to where they once stood, and Bates is far more likely to return them there than FS, if only because he has better contacts.

which is the point.

I'm not disputing the trophies Chelsea won, but Harding was a big player in their change of fortune. I just think that Bates got lucky, very lucky in fact. I remember Chelsea before Harding stepped in, they were no better than the mackems, and us at the time for that matter, for a long time with Bates as chairman.

Guest Knightrider

Btw I would rather have Freddy as my club's Chairman over Bates, but it isn't down to ability , but character and given that I'd lump Freddy in with Bates as an odious little man too, but less so, my preference is still akin to scraping the barrel.

which is the point.

I'm not disputing the trophies Chelsea won, but Harding was a big player in their change of fortune. I just think that Bates got lucky, very lucky in fact. I remember Chelsea before Harding stepped in, they were no better than the mackems, and us at the time for that matter, for a long time with Bates as chairman.

Same could be said of Freddy with SJH or even SBR though, no? I mean, take away SBR and FS's time at the club would look pretty bad. Harding wasn't there very long btw and his impact at Chelsea wasn't as big as Bates. It was Bates who decided Chelsea needed to be a more continental setup which opposed Harding's more traditional setup, the former being key to Chelsea's rise from, as you say, a level the mackems operated at and indeed NUFC before Sir John came along. You have to give Bates credit, he bought them for a quid, took on their debt and set about transforming them and he did. His impact was as big as Sir John Hall's was for us, or Fergie and Wenger to their clubs, if for different reasons.

I don't like the bloke though, he's an odious little man.

NE5 I listed 4 points which you ignored. so I'll limit this reply to just one point.

As I have pointed out on numerous occasions, the only time we achieved 3 consecutive top 5 finishes in the last 50 years, was when Shepherd was chairman. Fact.

FACT - shepherd wasn't most successful chairman in our history - Bates was for Chelsea FACT.

3 consecutive top 5 finishes does not compare in the slightest to what Chelsea won in Bates time.

European Cup Winners' Cup winners:  1998. Full Members Cup winners: 1986. European SuperCup winners: 1998. FA Cup winners 1997, 2000. Charity Shield winners: 2000.

:rolleyes:

Guest Knightrider

Bates also had a direct hand in Chelsea's title success of the past two seasons, and can be credited as a positive influence on that, despite no longer being a part of the club. In the same way, should Sam Allardyce succeed, Freddy Shepherd will be rightfully credited, as he appointed him in the first place. Bates' and Freddie's respective careers as Chairman are poles apart though, one was hugely successful and will be regarded as somewhat of a savior at Stamford Bridge, the other will be remembered for the demise of KK and Sir John Hall's Newcastle and more unsavory things that aren't even football related. Because of that, whatever happens next under Big Sam, that will go down as a Mort and Ashley result and rightfully so. Although if rolling credits were to appear, then FS would have to get some mention, historically speaking of course. Not many would be willing to though.

NE5 I listed 4 points which you ignored. so I'll limit this reply to just one point.

FACT - shepherd wasn't most successful chairman in our history - Bates was for Chelsea FACT.

3 consecutive top 5 finishes does not compare in the slightest to what Chelsea won in Bates time.

European Cup Winners' Cup winners:  1998. Full Members Cup winners: 1986. European SuperCup winners: 1998. FA Cup winners 1997, 2000. Charity Shield winners: 2000.

probably because, Chelsea had very little history, to speak of. Before Bates.

Fact.

Certainly nowhere near ours.

Fact.

Did you go to Stamford Bridge before Harding joined the board at Chelsea ? How much about Chelsea do you know, pre - Bates, and his first decade ?

Fact.

Fact.

Did you go to Stamford Bridge before Harding joined the board at Chelsea ? How much about Chelsea do you know, pre - Bates, and his first decade ?

I know from my quote which once again you've chosen to ignore that they won the full members cup in Bates first decade which is more than we won in Freds 10 years in charge.

Fact.

Fact.

I know from my quote which once again you've chosen to ignore that they won the full members cup in Bates first decade which is more than we won in Freds 10 years in charge.

I couldn't give a toss, because I know how much of a shit club Chelsea were before Harding stepped in - also winning nowt until that time. You clearly don't, and you also are one of those with a daft agenda against Shepherd and Hall for calling you names, or whatever your problem with them is.

I can't believe anyone can put together an argument that Ken Bates was even a remotely half decent chairman.

There arent many people I used to look at in the darkest days of the Ellis years and say "well, it could be worse", but Bates was one of them.

Remember the electrified fences plan?

Fact.

Fact.

I couldn't give a toss, because I know how much of a s*** club Chelsea were before Harding stepped in - also winning nowt until that time. You clearly don't, and you also are one of those with a daft agenda against Shepherd and Hall for calling you names, or whatever your problem with them is.

For the third time Chelsea won a trophy in Bates first 10 years without Harding.

Fact.

Fact.

I've been to Chelsea a few times before Harding arrived and it was a horrible place, both ends behind the goals were a joke, a corner of the shed looked like a scrap yard and the away end was almost as bad, I'm sure they had a corrugated metal fence between the home and away supporters the season they put 6 past us.

That was long before Bates took over so it's not as if he ran the club down as they were in a terrible state before his arrival, no doubt you remember that game as it was when we really were shite.

Fact.

Fact.

I've been to Chelsea a few times before Harding arrived and it was a horrible place, both ends behind the goals were a joke, a corner of the shed looked like a scrap yard and the away end was almost as bad, I'm sure they had a corrugated metal fence between the home and away supporters the season they put 6 past us.

That was long before Bates took over so it's not as if he ran the club down as they were in a terrible state before his arrival, no doubt you remember that game as it was when we really were shite.

typical of you I suppose, making parallel excuses for your idol McKeag taking over a derelict old footballl ground from his predecessors, so much so that he was proud of his new stand that was "just like the one at Watford".

Lucky HIS successor had higher standards than that though eh, although according to you, they were "just the same"

Are you another member of the Ken Bates fan club  mackems.gif

I can't believe anyone can put together an argument that Ken Bates was even a remotely half decent chairman.

There arent many people I used to look at in the darkest days of the Ellis years and say "well, it could be worse", but Bates was one of them.

Remember the electrified fences plan?

I'm not sure how many times you went to Chelsea but he did have a point.  Most of the crowd trouble was outside of the ground, especially on the tubes but the Chelsea fans were terrible.  I don't think I've ever seen as many NF mongs in any ground in my life as I've seen at Chelsea during the 80's and 90's.