Freddie Shepherd to buy Leeds?!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

according to the mail

Former Newcastle chairman in talks over Leeds takeover

EXCLUSIVE By BOB CASS and DANIEL KING - More by this author »

Last updated at 21:26pm on 8th September 2007

Comments

Freddy Shepherd, the ousted chairman of Newcastle United, is about to make a sensational swoop to buy Leeds United from Ken Bates.

He has already had discussions with Bates, the owner of the ill-fated Yorkshire club, and takeover negotiations are believed to be at an advanced stage

Shepherd and Bates were spotted dining together on Tyneside last week and independent sources have confirmed that Bates could be willing to sell — and that Shepherd is ready to buy.

Although Shepherd is still a regular visitor to St James' Park where he has a box, close associates have revealed that he has been missing the excitement of being involved in the game and recognises the potential of reinvigorating one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Only three months ago, Shepherd made more than £37.6million by selling his family's 28 per cent stake in Newcastle to billionaire Mike Ashley and he is thought to regard Leeds as the perfect opportunity to make a quick return to football.

Despite their relegation to League One and the 15-point penalty imposed for financial rule breaches, Leeds remain an attractive investment because of their pedigree, strong fan base and development potential around Elland Road and the training ground at Thorpe Arch.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs last month dropped court action over the controversial sale of Leeds back to a company run by Bates after the former Chelsea chairman had put the club into administration with debts of £35m at the end of last season.

While tax chiefs may still seek to recoup a sizeable portion of the £8m they are owed, Bates is now effectively in control of a club which is virtually debt-free.

The sale process, to Shepherd or any other party, will nonetheless take some time.

First, the old football club company, Leeds United Association Football Club Ltd, will be taken from administration into liquidation, either by administrators KPMG or another firm.

The money received from Bates for the club will then be used to pay off non-football creditors at a reported rate of about 11p in the pound.

Once that hurdle is overcome, the club, now under the banner of Leeds United 2007 Ltd, a company in which Bates and allies Shaun Harvey and Mark Taylor are directors, will be able to re-apply for full FA membership.

oh well.

Whatever.

Can't believe people would rather have Ken bloody Bates than Shepherd mind.

i would rather have Elton fucking John's boyfriend, old man.. debate this

I'm the same age as Allardyce, silly boy.

And if you prefer Ken Bates to Shepherd, you want your brain testing. You clearly don't know much about Bates, or the mess he left Chelsea in .

Guest elbee909

oh well.

Whatever.

Can't believe people would rather have Ken bloody Bates than Shepherd mind.

i would rather have Elton fucking John's boyfriend, old man.. debate this

I'm the same age as Allardyce, silly boy.

And if you prefer Ken Bates to Shepherd, you want your brain testing. You clearly don't know much about Bates, or the mess he left Chelsea in .

Didn't they get more European football than Newcastle in his time there?  And buy England internationals?

Brilliant, my mates a Leeds fan and he hated Shepered when he was at Newcastle, this is gonna be good

:laugh:

Why on earth would a Leeds fan give a shit about Shepered when he was the Chairman of Newcastle?

Oh, I know. Leeds spent so much money that they had to qualify for the Champions League to stay afloat. The "pie-eating, worst Chairman in the World" Fred unfortunately backed Bobby Robson so well that we pipped them for that last CL spot, kicking off the decline of Leeds.

Think abou tit.