Freddie Shepherd to buy Leeds?!

Guest sicko2ndbest

If you in back and have a look at NE5's post that I replied to HTL You will see that he was the one who mentioned the state Bates left Chelsea in which I responded to. Now why you felt the need to accuse me of point scoring I don't know but I presume it was because you thought I was having a dig at your beloved Freddie, it would explain the shite criteria you think see's who the biggest and bestest chairman is which no doubt Shepherd would win, mainly because he took charge of the second best team in the country where as Bates bought Chelsea for £1 when they were fucked. Never mind though, we all get the wrong end of the stick sometimes so there's no off to apologise, mate.

If you in back and have a look at NE5's post that I replied to HTL You will see that he was the one who mentioned the state Bates left Chelsea in which I responded to. Now why you felt the need to accuse me of point scoring I don't know but I presume it was because you thought I was having a dig at your beloved Freddie, it would explain the shite criteria you think see's who the biggest and bestest chairman is which no doubt Shepherd would win, mainly because he took charge of the second best team in the country where as Bates bought Chelsea for £1 when they were fucked. Never mind though, we all get the wrong end of the stick sometimes so there's no off to apologise, mate.

Pidgin English?

Good move for Leeds if this goes through, IMO. Will be interesting to keep an eye on their progress and whether Freddy has learned to keep his gob shut !

And supposidly Chelsea were a matter of hours from going into administration before the Russian bought them. They were in serious financial trouble.

For example, even though Lampard had played for England once in 1999, he wasn't an established International until a long time later, proven by the fact he wasn't selected for Euro 2000 or the WC in 2002, he didn't become a recognised and regular full England International until after he'd joined Chelsea.  Off the top of my head I can't think of many but perhaps you can since you've brought it up?

Thanks in advance.

Le Saux is one

No, he wasn't.

How not?  I'm not arguing, just wondering

edit: actually i am arguing, re-signed for Chelsea August 97, and heres his England caps record

http://www.englandstats.com/playerreport.php?pid=583

how can you say no he wasnt, given his caps either side of the transfer

I'm not arguing either, I'm actually quite interested in this now it's been brought up.

Anyway, fair enough. Le Saux was bought by Chelsea when he wasn't an established international, they sold him but then they resigned him so fair enough, he counts even though his better days were behind him following his best years at Blackburn. I see it as slightly similar to when Newcastle signed Kenny Sansom, for example.

For example, even though Lampard had played for England once in 1999, he wasn't an established International until a long time later, proven by the fact he wasn't selected for Euro 2000 or the WC in 2002, he didn't become a recognised and regular full England International until after he'd joined Chelsea.  Off the top of my head I can't think of many but perhaps you can since you've brought it up?

Thanks in advance.

Le Saux is one

No, he wasn't.

edit: actually i am arguing, re-signed for Chelsea August 97, and heres his England caps record

I'm not arguing either, I'm actually quite interested in this now it's been brought up.

Anyway, fair enough. Le Saux was bought by Chelsea when he wasn't an established international, they sold him but then they resigned him so fair enough, he counts even though his better days were behind him following his best years at Blackburn. I see it as slightly similar to when Newcastle signed Kenny Sansom, for example.

Nonsense, most expensive British defender when signed.  How can you say his best days were behind him?  And that comparison with Kenny Sansom is just laughable

Btw HTL, would I be right in saying that by your criteria to see who the biggest and bestest chairman is, all Mort would have to do is to keep a better league average than 9th for him to be a better chairman than Freddie? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

With the investment he gaves us ie transfer budjets etc this is brilliant for them

it was the club's money and the club's debt. it didn't come from Shepherd's pockets.

i'm really curious what else can Shepherd offer to football besides wasting loads of money on trophy players and willie mckay rejects..

Thanks in advance.

Le Saux is one

No, he wasn't.

Nonsense, most expensive British defender when signed.  How can you say his best days were behind him?  And that comparison with Kenny Sansom is just laughable

Not really. Nearly 30, same as Sansom, he just didn't have the same off the field problems.

The transfer fee is irrelevant. If you're going to use transfer fees as a measure you'll be telling me Jenas is fantastic and even Luque. Le Saux was better than Sansom at that age and I'm not saying otherwise, but the statement that Le Saux's best years were at Blackburn isn't laughable at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway. There's one England player signed by Chelsea while Bates was Chairman. More anyone?

Btw HTL, would I be right in saying that by your criteria to see who the biggest and bestest chairman is, all Mort would have to do is to keep a better league average than 9th for him to be a better chairman than Freddie? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

When you stop using language that sounds like it's from a playground for 5 year olds I'll start taking you seriously, Baggio.

Personally, I don't give a shite who the Chairman is of any club, so I don't often think about criteria for measuring the performance of a Chairman, tbh. I couldn't name more than 3 or 4 in the entire country and none at all outside of the English PL.

As long as a Chairman and Board back their manager what happens next is down to the footballing decisions of the manager and the players. As I've said often enough and you appear to have missed.

If Fred goes to Leeds there is a very good chance he'll back any manager with cash better than Bates is doing, which means if they have a decent manager they will have a better chance of recovery and getting back to the PL than they have under Bates. And that is the point.

This should be obvious to a person of your intelligence, Baggio.

Personally, I don't give a s**** who the Chairman is of any club, so I don't often think about criteria for measuring the performance of a Chairman, tbh. I couldn't name more than 3 or 4 in the entire country and none at all outside of the English PL.

As long as a Chairman and Board back their manager what happens next is down to the footballing decisions of the manager and the players. As I've said often enough and you appear to have missed.

If Fred goes to Leeds there is a very good chance he'll back any manager with cash better than Bates is doing, which means if they have a decent manager they will have a better chance of recovery and getting back to the PL than they have under Bates. And that is the point.

So appointing the right manager is irrelivent, providing they back him? Ahhhh, ok. Shepherd is AWESOME. Such a role model for other chairmen. Appoint any old codger off the street then give him BILLIONS to spent in transfers and by your criteria, you'd then be a good chairman.

It doesn't work like that, remember Ellis being a shite chairman yet doing better in the league than our chairman at the time?

Personally, I don't give a s**** who the Chairman is of any club, so I don't often think about criteria for measuring the performance of a Chairman, tbh. I couldn't name more than 3 or 4 in the entire country and none at all outside of the English PL.

So appointing the right manager is irrelivent, providing they back him? Ahhhh, ok. Shepherd is AWESOME. Such a role model for other chairmen. Appoint any old codger off the street then give him BILLIONS to spent in transfers and by your criteria, you'd then be a good chairman.

mackems.gif

Care to link to where I said that....?  It's certainly not in the post you quoted, but never mind.

I actually think this might be good for Leeds, they would obviously need some investment in the playing department and Freddy will problably "show them the money" (though not his own of course:))

Would be nice to see them back in the premier league with FS as the chief:)

I actually think this might be good for Leeds, they would obviously need some investment in the playing department and Freddy will problably "show them the money" (though not his own of course:))

Sounds like the sort of plan that got them in the 3rd division in the first place.

Sounds like the sort of plan that got them in the 3rd division in the first place.

Well, if they are debt free they have the potential for a rise up the table. They have a big stadium, reputation (bad reputation maybe:)), fan base and such. How often do companies save cash when they are to buy a new machine or something, you take out a loan. That said, they dont have to take out loan the same way they did last time:)

To those saying Shepherd would back Leeds' manager with funds better than Bates, may I ask where these funds would be coming from? Genuinely wondering.

Most likely loans from Shepherd offshore or oher companies he has good relations with.

To those saying Shepherd would back Leeds' manager with funds better than Bates, may I ask where these funds would be coming from? Genuinely wondering.

Don't know, Dave. How does any club find the cash? I know there is the odd sarcastic remark about Fred not putting in his own cash, but there aren't that many who do.

He'll get the support and backing from somewhere. Leeds has a massive potential, only a fool would disagree with that and this might just be a good time for some people to throw some weight behind a serious effort to recover.

Fred will at least try to make a better fist of it than Bates, which is all I'm saying.

I don't know where people get the idea that Bates doesnt back his managers tbh,  he gave Blackwell plenty to spend when they reached the playoff final and Chelsea spent millions. Now Leeds are turning a profit he'll give the manager money to spend and he's shown he knows more about finances than most chairman by wiping out all of Ridsdales debt - the last thing they need now is someone like Shepherd when they've got a steady ship and could wait for a invester who has some cash of his own.