Graeme Le Saux

Guest kingdawson

Extremely pathetic of Paul Ince. He himself speaks publicly against racism, which is something very admirable. But he allows himself to abuse the homosexual people.

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

It was irrational, schoolboy behaviour. Most of the time I let it go. But when Chelsea played Liverpool at Anfield in October 1997, Paul Ince repeatedly wound me up and I gave him a taste of his own medicine.

Paul and I had always got on well. We were England teammates and I respected him. Paul was really wired during the game. He would get so frantic in matches that his eyes would glaze over. I had been clattered a few times when he took my legs and left me on the deck. Then he started jabbering away at me. “Come on, you f***ing poof,” he said. “Get up, there’s nothing wrong with you.”

He said it a few times. I let it go. People get called a poof all the time in football. But it was loaded when people aimed it at me.

A few minutes later he did me again and started yelling the same stuff. I snapped. I said something that I knew would hurt him. I insulted his wife.

Paul went ballistic. He was livid. He spent the rest of the match trying to kick lumps out of me. When the final whistle went I was going down the tunnel when I caught sight of him out of the corner of my eye, about to land a punch. I ducked out of the way and scarpered. The guy had lost it completely; he wanted to kill me. He was a prime example of someone who could dish it out but could not take it. He had been calling me all the names, personal stuff that he must have known would hurt, and yet as soon as I retaliated in kind, he could not cope.

I did not feel proud of what I had said. I knew his wife, Claire, and I liked her. It was not about her, though, it was about letting him know what it was like to put up with abuse. Paul quickly turned it round in his mind so that I was the villain. Since then our relationship has been very cold.

The gay slurs were putting me in a difficult situation. It was hard to keep denying that I was homosexual without being disrespectful to the gay community. I have gay friends and I do not judge them. I am not homophobic; a gay player in a team I was playing for would not be an issue for me.

But when supporters and other players accused me of being gay, it bothered me. I never believed there was anything wrong with being gay, but I felt that if it came to be accepted that I was, I would be unable to continue as a professional footballer. That is how deep-seated the prejudice in the game is.

That is why I fought back as strongly as I did. I wondered whether it was defamatory, being called gay if you were not, and in the context of football I think it is because it could end your career. No manager would want to sign you. It is a terrible indictment of the sport, but it is true.

We have got past pretty much everything else. The problems with racism are not over, but they are on the wane. You do not get people making monkey noises at English grounds or throwing bananas on the pitch. But there is still terrible prejudice within football. People pick on weaknesses. You have to deal with being constantly derided for the most trivial matters: your trainers, your haircut, your picture in the newspaper. It is endless and can be draining. If you can make someone else look stupid, that is the ideal.

I never saw anyone do that to another player. I felt that Fowler’s action – because it was so blatant – betrayed me, too. He broke the code. Black players have had plenty of abuse aimed at them, but no fellow player has ever made a public gesture like that. Robbie would not dream of miming insults to a black player, so why did he feel it was acceptable to incite me by sticking out his backside?

More fool Le Saux for getting wound up so easy.

Now the victim is guilty for being a victim.

How pathetic you are.

He was the victim of a harmless bit of banter from team mates, the sort of banter that goes on between groups of males everywhere, if Le Saux didn't make such a big deal about it in the first place then the whole thing wouldn't have been blown out of proportion.

People on here take this piss out of Gejon calling him gay, he isn't and handles it as the friendly banter that it's intended, if he was to be a big drama queen about it it would only encourage people to do it more, which is what Le Saux did.

If it makes me pathetic for thinking Le Saux being a fairy caused it in the first place then so be it, the bloke isn't even gay for fucks sake.

How pathetic you are.

He was the victim of a harmless bit of banter from team mates, the sort of banter that goes on between groups of males everywhere, if Le Saux didn't make such a big deal about it in the first place then the whole thing wouldn't have been blown out of proportion.

People on here take this piss out of Gejon calling him gay, he isn't and handles it as the friendly banter that it's intended, if he was to be a big drama queen about it it would only encourage people to do it more, which is what Le Saux did.

If it makes me pathetic for thinking Le Saux being a fairy caused it in the first place then so be it, the bloke isn't even gay for fucks sake.

Absolute bollocks.  Put in his position, with Robbie Fowler doing that how would you fucking feel.

How pathetic you are.

Absolute bollocks.  Put in his position, with Robbie Fowler doing that how would you fucking feel.

It would never have got that far as I would have took the original banter the way it should have been taken and all would have been forgotten.

How pathetic you are.

He should have kicked Fowler in the arse as he bent over....

How pathetic you are.

It would never have got that far as I would have took the original banter the way it should have been taken and all would have been forgotten.

If you think that by laughing along it would have been forgotten then you are incredibly naive.  The ignorant wankers in society like Robbie Fowler would just take it to the next level until they got the bite.

And anyway, why should Le Saux be forced to laugh along?  The very idea that he should is an absolute disgrace.

The Le Saux confrontation' date=' for example, Fowler explains away simply as a case of his retaliating verbally against a defender's repeated, discreet use of a flying elbow. He remembered how violently Le Saux had reacted when David Batty, his team-mate at Blackburn, had baselessly called him a 'poof', and so chose to pursue the same line. Le Saux responded thus: 'But I'm married!' To which Fowler replied: 'So was Elton John, mate.' Cue: another elbow from Le Saux; followed by Fowler's shorts-down gesture.[/quote']

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1560059,00.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/sport/images/punch_up_150.jpghttp://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1330000/images/_1330070_le_saux150.jpg

Batty's contribution to the Champion's League campaign is best remembered for an incident when his team-mate Graeme Le Saux lashed out at him during the Champions' League game against Spartak Moscow. The two did not like each other after Batty questioned Le Saux's sexuality. Batty requested a transfer from Blackburn Rovers, and moved to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle United F.C. for £3.75m

The Le Saux confrontation' date=' for example, Fowler explains away simply as a case of his retaliating verbally against a defender's repeated, discreet use of a flying elbow. He remembered how violently Le Saux had reacted when David Batty, his team-mate at Blackburn, had baselessly called him a 'poof', and so chose to pursue the same line. Le Saux responded thus: 'But I'm married!' To which Fowler replied: 'So was Elton John, mate.' Cue: another elbow from Le Saux; followed by Fowler's shorts-down gesture.[/quote']

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1560059,00.html

The article is written by the woman who wrote McManaman's autobiography.  Hardly likely to be impartial.

How pathetic you are.

If you think that by laughing along it would have been forgotten then you are incredibly naive.  The ignorant wankers in society like Robbie Fowler would just take it to the next level until they got the bite.

And anyway, why should Le Saux be forced to laugh along?  The very idea that he should is an absolute disgrace.

The fact is you've got a straight bloke becoming an emotional wreck on a football pitch because someone has called him gay, whether it's right or wrong isn't the point but why would a straight man take such offence at it? I wouldn't, would you?

Big deal over nothing and a shite attempt at making the boring bastards book sound interesting.

How pathetic you are.

The fact is you've got a straight bloke becoming an emotional wreck on a football pitch because someone has called him gay, whether it's right or wrong isn't the point but why would a straight man take such offence at it? I wouldn't, would you?

Big deal over nothing and a shite attempt at making the boring bastards book sound interesting.

I don't know whats worse, the fact that you're trying defend Fowler by calling it no big deal, or the fact that you're trying to explain it away as an isolated incident.