Should Martins be an automatic starter?

McCormick

No-one should be an automatic starter.

That should be the motto of EVERY successful club - can you imagine Wenger allowing Martins(or anyone else)being an automatic choice ?

I would say Henry, Toure and Viera were automatic choices when fit and in a game he really wanted to win.

Not comparing those players to Martins either before anyone starts!

Guest loves the toon

oba loves the shirt does owen?

yes, if its white with 3 lions on the badge

oba will want to be away in january and who will blame him.pace, power,he can be very fustrating at times but will definatly score 20 goals if he starts every game.

oba will want to be away in january and who will blame him.pace, power,he can be very fustrating at times but will definatly score 20 goals if he starts every game.

yeah if he keeps getting shunned like this there's no doubt he'd want away in the jan tranfer window... if you're not playing you might as well not play for a more successful team.

No-one should be an automatic starter.

That should be the motto of EVERY successful club - can you imagine Wenger allowing Martins(or anyone else)being an automatic choice ?

Not being aggressive, but that's the sentimental crap that hinders our club. We leave match-winners like Laurent Robert out when their 5-second contribution to the games means we score against the Derbys of this world, when the Butts could give their all for 300 minutes and still create jackshit.

Stupid question really, of course not. He should be in on merit just like anyone else.

A more interesting question would be whether Given should be or not.

Hmm, I was thinking a more interesting question would be :

When driving I regularly pick my nose and flick the snots on the floor. Where do they all go and why don't they form a bogie mountain, stopping me getting behind the wheel in the first place?

Stupid question really, of course not. He should be in on merit just like anyone else.

Not to sound defensive... but in what way is it a stupid question? (albeit not as interesting as HTL's :lol:) owen has done nothing to deserve a place yet he is constantly making the teamm whereas the backbone (goal-wise) of last seasons team is left out.

he's a class player and in a team that look like they're running in a thick goop of snot ( ;) tried to forge a link there) his blistering pace should make him a regular first-teamer

Not to sound defensive... but in what way is it a stupid question? (albeit not as interesting as HTL's :lol:) owen has done nothing to deserve a place yet he is constantly making the teamm whereas the backbone (goal-wise) of last seasons team is left out.

he's a class player and in a team that look like they're running in a thick goop of snot ( ;) tried to forge a link there) his blistering pace should make him a regular first-teamer

Owen is a far superior team player than Martins, who is a bit of a loose cannon and one-man band. I like Martins, but he needs to improve his general team play imo. I'm hopeful if he is patient and doesn't spit his dummy out that he will learn from Owen and become a much better player than he is now.

Owen is a far superior team player than Martins, who is a bit of a loose cannon and one-man band. I like Martins, but he needs to improve his general team play imo. I'm hopeful if he is patient and doesn't spit his dummy out that he will learn from Owen and become a much better player than he is now.

How then does he learn when he's not playing alongside owen, or getting limited game time? He's a great prospect- yes he has to learn- and a great player, it just pains me to see his confidence wane away when he doesn't start....

No player should be an automatic choice, however I believe that players should be picked on form.

He's done the right thing in playing Harper over Given, Harper has come in, performed and done nothing to deserve losing his place, seeing things like that are a great incentive to other players who know that if they don't perform then they will miss out, same for the squad players who will know if they get their chance they should take it if they want to remain in the team.

This hasn't happened with Martins though who with Owen has been our best striker.

Hmm, I was thinking a more interesting question would be :

When driving I regularly pick my nose and flick the snots on the floor. Where do they all go and why don't they form a bogie mountain, stopping me getting behind the wheel in the first place?

:lol:

How then does he learn when he's not playing alongside owen, or getting limited game time? He's a great prospect- yes he has to learn- and a great player, it just pains me to see his confidence wane away when he doesn't start....

He learns by general day to day work.

I don't believe Owen and Martins can form an effective partnership, so he can't learn from Owen on match day.

After saying that, I'd partner Owen with Martins ahead of partnering Owen with Ameobi. That's one of the reasons I mentioned the other day about FS not being able to see the wood for the trees. He automatically went for the "big man," "short arse" irrespective of the fact that Ameobi should be on the beach. He should have started with Owen and Smith up front, there's no doubt about that at all imo, but if FS wants to continue with the stupidity of using Smith in midfield, then he should have started with Owen and Martins.

In fact,  I'd sooner Given had started and FS had gone with Owen and Harper up front, than Ameobi. And I'm not joking.

He learns by general day to day work.

I don't believe Owen and Martins can form an effective partnership, so he can't learn from Owen on match day.

After saying that, I'd partner Owen with Martins ahead of partnering Owen with Ameobi. That's one of the reasons I mentioned the other day about FS not being able to see the wood for the trees. He automatically went for the "big man," "short arse" irrespective of the fact that Ameobi should be on the beach. He should have started with Owen and Smith up front, there's no doubt about that at all imo, but if FS wants to continue with the stupidity of using Smith in midfield, then he should have started with Owen and Martins.

In fact,  I'd sooner Given had started and FS had gone with Owen and Harper up front, than Ameobi. And I'm not joking.

Yes a good sunbathe would solve all his problems..

i for one would love to see them both (martins and owen)  play together on a regular basis..

I miss Martins' unpredictable and exciting play, and I think in our current team he would be far more effective. Since he has been here he has never had the opportunity to play off another striker and I think he would be a much better player for it. Martins in a front line with Viduka, wether in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 would be great if it is given a chance over a good run of games.

I miss Martins' unpredictable and exciting play, and I think in our current team he would be far more effective. Since he has been here he has never had the opportunity to play off another striker and I think he would be a much better player for it. Martins in a front line with Viduka, wether in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 would be great if it is given a chance over a good run of games.

You would seriously select Martins ahead of Owen to partner Viduka? I'm aware that it's the blend that matters more than whether one player is better than another player, but Owen is simply a class apart compared to Martins and will work well with either Viduka or Smith in a 4-4-2.

You would seriously select Martins ahead of Owen to partner Viduka? I'm aware that it's the blend that matters more than whether one player is better than another player, but Owen is simply a class apart compared to Martins and will work well with either Viduka or Smith in a 4-4-2.

Was just about to post a similar reply thats what id go far

dunno wtf Sam is at by not using him more often

well said

"Who loves the shirt more" certainly shouldnt be the first criteria of selection!! Should be who can bring the most to the team, and at the moment it's Martins. Seen nothing today to convince me otherwise.

Was a disappointing miss from him, but not that shocking for the reasons stated by tmonkey.