Should Martins be an automatic starter?

McCormick

For me he is.. i mean feel bad for the lad, easily our best player last season (albeit he didn't have much competition), our topscoring striker this season and  doesn't get a start.

He would walk into most premiership teams' first 11 imo

Overshadowed by owen right now, but theres no definitive proof that the two can't play together

It's horrible to see him not play, i cant help but think this is the beginning of the end, i just get the feeling that SA either doesnt rate him or has such a defniitve way of playing that Martins doesnt fit in, personnaly i think its the latter, Martins naturally drops deep which is not how SA wants him to operate, its clear SA likes the long ball, he wants his smaller strikers to play off the shoulder of the bigger striker, probably the best striker in the world who does this is Owen, which is not only unlucky for MArtins but pretty unfair because i think he has immense talent. Hopefully am completely wrong.

he  certainly should be way at the top of the list and if the game is suited to his style he should start. Ive heard this big player with a little player mentioned and to me owen does play better when paired with someone he can play off the shoulder of. should this be put before oba playing, no, when it involves shola. vids is a different prospect i think they should rotate between the 3 of them and on occasion play them all together. Martins went a long way to earning his place in the starting line up last season by his goals.he should get a chance like everyone else.

He's started all but two Premiership games, and he has had enough time on the pitch to make an impact as a substitute in the other games.

So he's started 60% of our league games so far, all three of which Owen wasn't fit enough to start in.

He was subbed on 69 minutes away to Bolton, after 63 minutes at home to Villa and on 72 minutes away to 'Boro. He only got on against Derby so soon because of Owen's injury and he got a mighty 24 minutes at home to Wigan. He hasn't played a game from start-to-finish yet this season. He even only got 7 minutes against Barnsley.

So in total he's played something like 265 minutes in the league, out of a possible 450, if my maths is right - and 272 out of 540 for the entire season, very slightly over half.

Your answer isn't a good enough case for the defence, surely?

He's started all but two Premiership games, and he has had enough time on the pitch to make an impact as a substitute in the other games.

Scored 2 against Bolton, set up the winner against Wigan. Pretty decent impact really.

Scored 2 against Bolton, set up the winner against Wigan. Pretty decent impact really.

exactly, he's pure class (ask skirge) and its somewhat of an outrage that ameobi was picked ahead of martins for the derby game.. i don't give a damn about this "play a big player next to owen'' nonsense if it means ameobi is above martins in the pecking order.

Without him we lack pace, and we need that pace, it might not get goals every game but so many openings are created with it Owen would thrive off these openings and this is key to beating most teams, a la Derby. He has to start most games i think, especially away games for counter attacks. Apart from him we don't have anyone with real pace that threatens teams and its been apparent all season so far, its important to have a balance of power and pace and at the minute we have lots of Power and no Pace.

Without him we lack pace, and we need that pace, it might not get goals every game but so many openings are created with it Owen would thrive off these openings and this is key to beating most teams, a la Derby. He has to start most games i think, especially away games for counter attacks. Apart from him we don't have anyone with real pace that threatens teams and its been apparent all season so far, its important to have a balance of power and pace and at the minute we have lots of Power and no Pace.

:clap: :clap:

Guest RodrigoPalacio

No, he's fucking wank.  Hate watching him play.  He's so fucking thick it's unbelievable.

I take it you watch Barcelona every week then...

No, I watch fucking Sunday league football at SJP.