Martins (again)

Guest Knightrider

What I like about Martins is how he chases the bad passes that go straight to the defender. You can see him taking advantage of a bad first touch eventually.

Speaking of first touches, I hope Hansen and co cream over his control before the goal, which was even better - less time and space - than Idbangawhore's last week.

If we're to accommodate both Owen and Martins, then I'd put Oba on the right, judging by his crossing ability. Floated in a peach of a cross in the first half. Worryingly, Smith seems to be the first name on the team sheet regardless of how he plays.

Viduka was excellent again. Was very worried with his first few languid performances, but he looks a threat now.

Will still take all of that with a 17 goal return and a potential to improve as he grows.

Of that often quoted 17 goals there were alot against poor sides

I'm shocked at this thread he was canny in the first half and took his goal very very well but was poor in the second as was the team but he misplaced several easy passes in the second half and his touch was shocking

He's certainly been a better player for us than Owen has

Wrong in so many ways

More available yes better value probably but a better player not even close

mackems.gif

Remind me please what Owen has done for us?

:idiot2:

He's certainly been a better player for us than Owen has

Wrong in so many ways

More available yes better value probably but a better player not even close

I said he's been a better player for us, and he has, its not even close

He offers the pace nobody else in the squad can. That he can fit into a 4-3-3 better than some established first teamers is an embarrassment. Hit and miss player tbh.

Will still take all of that with a 17 goal return and a potential to improve as he grows.

Of that often quoted 17 goals there were alot against poor sides

I'm shocked at this thread he was canny in the first half and took his goal very very well but was poor in the second as was the team but he misplaced several easy passes in the second half and his touch was shocking

Really doesn't matter who you score against they all count, and about 3/4 of his goals were against decent sides. I wonder how many Michael Owen has scored against shit teams in the Fa cup etc to get to some of his goal tally's.

He has his faults, but I shudder to think what we would have looked like without him today. Only he and Zog offer any pace and penetration to a pedestrian looking team. The goal was sublime by the way. No doubt his critics will ignore that and point to his first touch being awful (so ironic considering how he took that goal) but there you are.

Saved us from getting thumped 3-0 in any case.

He has his faults, but I shudder to think what we would have looked like without him today. Only he and Zog offer any pace and penetration to a pedestrian looking team. The goal was sublime by the way. No doubt his critics will ignore that and point to his first touch being awful (so ironic considering how he took that goal) but there you are.

i managed to get great goal and poor control in half way up the page,he did show fantastic control for his goal,that doesn't mean his control is largely iffy

Guest NUFCGator

In spite of what anyone thinks his performance was like today, it was important for his confidence to get a goal and if Owen is out for an extended period of time I think he could work well with Viduka if they develop some understanding of how to play together. I just can't fathom continuing to play Owen over Martins. If we had a team providing good service and passing, then Owen might be the better player but Martins pace and aggressiveness towards goal, which shows when he had confidence, gives us more chances at goals than Owen does in the same situation. Plus the whole potential thing gives even more reason to allow him to develop further instead of sitting him on the bench all the time.

i managed to get great goal and poor control in half way up the page,he did show fantastic control for his goal,that doesn't mean his control is largely iffy

Well there's always the glass is half full view, I agree.

Guest optimistic nit

martins doesn't have "best games". he plays pretty much the same every game, moments of frustration and moments of good play. i don't know what planet you are on saying that today was his best game though.

martins doesn't have "best games". he plays pretty much the same every game, moments of frustration and moments of good play. i don't know what planet you are on saying that today was his best game though.

Nah, sometimes he has games where he literally gets everything wrong.

in this case glass isn't half full, it's empty.

it's all Martins fault then..

What? I'm just saying the truth. Some games, if he doesn't score he does fuck all else.

What? I'm just saying the truth. Some games, if he doesn't score he does fuck all else.

Well he did create N'Zogbia's goal against West Ham but then that was probably just a lucky run, touch and cross.

Well he did create N'Zogbia's goal against West Ham but then that was probably just a lucky run, touch and cross.

What? I'm not saying every game. Just some games he does nowt. It wasn't even a criticism, really, just an observation.