Alan Smith

Dave

I thought we were supposed to be a better team with Smith up front as he can hold the ball up which would put less pressure on our defence?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't blame him for 'not holding the ball up' today. He didn't have the ball.

He had a crap game, because he did nothing and made no effort to do anything (ie, come deep, retrieve the ball, make runs into the box) - but in terms of holding up, he had nowt to hold up. We drifted in and out of long ball but i don't think a pass was ever once targeted at his head or feet with his back to goal. The long balls (usually from Enrique) were normally diagonal, to Milner or Barton or whoever.

is the correct answer.

We lack creativity and pace in midfield, the new defenders have not made much difference at all, just as I said. [.....waiting to be accused of point scoring ........ ].

Also, Taylor and Rozenhal are our 2 best centre backs, which I also said a while ago.

Do you think we've bought good defenders this summer?

I thought we were supposed to be a better team with Smith up front as he can hold the ball up which would put less pressure on our defence?

You can't blame him for 'not holding the ball up' today. He didn't have the ball.

He had a crap game, because he did nothing and made no effort to do anything (ie, come deep, retrieve the ball, make runs into the box) - but in terms of holding up, he had nowt to hold up. We drifted in and out of long ball but i don't think a pass was ever once targeted at his head or feet with his back to goal. The long balls (usually from Enrique) were normally diagonal, to Milner or Barton or whoever.

is the correct answer.

We lack creativity and pace in midfield, the new defenders have not made much difference at all, just as I said. [.....waiting to be accused of point scoring ........ ].

Also, Taylor and Rozenhal are our 2 best centre backs, which I also said a while ago.

As a matter of fact, generally, yes. Care to explain how they haven't made such a big difference ?

Also - as Shepherd and Hall are entirely to blame for all our misfortunes over the past decade ie only qualifying regularly for europe more than everyone bar 4 teams, how come we are still only in mid table - and still need at least 2 new forwards with pace - now they have gone ?

Also - as Shepherd and Hall are entirely to blame for all our misfortunes over the past decade ie only qualifying regularly for europe more than everyone bar 4 teams, how come we are still only in mid table

You cant cherry pick the good years with Shepherd as chairmam &  forget that bad seasons that makes you as bad as the people your comment is aimed at.

Also - as Shepherd and Hall are entirely to blame for all our misfortunes over the past decade ie only qualifying regularly for europe more than everyone bar 4 teams, how come we are still only in mid table

You cant cherry pick the good years with Shepherd as chairmam &  forget that bad seasons that makes you as bad as the people your comment is aimed at.

I'm not mate. I'm all for giving Sam time, even though in the last few weeks I've been worried by a few signs. I always said that people who "blamed" Shepherd [and Hall] for all our terrible failure over the past decade as stated above, were talking bollocks. IMO it is they who are cherry picking the bits that suit them, and I think my comment is valid, those people who said how much better off we would be without them should now be explaining exactly why we don't appear to be.

It's clearly not the case isn't it ?

I think the club should have replaced Solano and Dyer on deadline day, and a club with real ambition and desire to get back into europe would have recognised how urgently such action was needed. You will always get your money back if the player brought in is a success.

As a matter of fact, generally, yes. Care to explain how they haven't made such a big difference ?

Also - as Shepherd and Hall are entirely to blame for all our misfortunes over the past decade ie only qualifying regularly for europe more than everyone bar 4 teams, how come we are still only in mid table - and still need at least 2 new forwards with pace - now they have gone ?

I don't know how you managed to get them into this thread but well done.  :lol:

I don't know how you managed to get them into this thread but well done.   :lol:

didn't YOU say we would be much better off too ?

Why aren't we ?

What do you think about not replacing Solano and Dyer ?

And what do you think of our improved defence and the better results that were nailed on and guaranteed as a result ?

I don't know how you managed to get them into this thread but well done.   :lol:

Why aren't we ?

And what do you think of our improved defence and the better results that were nailed on and guaranteed as a result ?

Unfuckingbelievable that you would use the last few results to back up your claim on Shepherd and Hall. Although the result was s***, to equate the current Newcastle setup to the time of Shephard makes you look silly. Give Ashley + Mort + Sam 2 full seasons, then start making comparisons with the Shepherd + Hall's time and you'll start making sense. To answer your questions

Why aren't we ?

Too early to say and anyone who tries to draw conclusions based on the few games we've played is quite frankly an idiot. There are signs that are worrying but nowhere near enough to make conclusions and compare against Shepherd + Hall stinking regime (bar the Bobby years) 

And you seriously think that Dyer would be playing week in week out if he was still with us right now...you're funnier than I thought! Sam did not create the problem by selling Dyer, he just did not repair the problem that was already there before him. I was against the selling of Solano but Nobby wanted to go...nothing Sam could have done, and yes not replacing Solano was one of Sam's transfer market mistake.

You seriously want us to believe that Rozenthal, Cacapa, Beye and Enrique = Bramble, Ramage, Carr, Babayaro, Boumsong  :clap:

A poor result does not prove anything and our defenders need more time to gel. I'll bet you whatever stake that come end of the season, they would have had more better games than the previous lot.

There were plenty of times last year when peple whinged on about the defence when it was clear to anyone with half a brain that the problem was the inability to string an attack together or retain possession. The defeats at home to Man city and Blackburn are two good examples.

A liability is what he is, a waste of money, not an out and out striker and not a midfielder so what is he?

Bigger chance of him getting sent off than there is him scoring or creating a goal, I would say he has played one good game for us so far and that was as a striker but he has not done enough to warrant a starting place.

Why aren't we ?

I don't really want to turn this thread into a board/bored thread but you've asked some questions which I'll try to answer.

I think it's far too early to judge how things are going to go under Mort, all I know is that so far we are better off, I have no idea how things will turn out long term.  I'm confident that everything that has been done so far has been the right thing to do.  Ashley took over the club and has so far reduced the debt to a level which we should be able to work with.  I don't want this club to be relying on Ashley pumping money in to finance the club, I want the club to move on and become self-sufficient and be able to finance whatever the manager wants to do without having to get out the begging bowl, to that extent I think we're much better off.  I'm surprised that you can't bring yourself to acknowledge that.

I think both Dyer and Solano should have been replaced, I think both brought something to the team which we no longer have and we're suffering for that.  Dyer had pace which had the opposition worried and Solano had creativity which I'm yet to see this season.

I think our defence has improved individually but not as a unit, I think that is down to a lack of understanding between the players and poor tactics/formations by the manager, I hope he learns from his mistakes.

I don't think I've said anything controversial in that post so let's keep the thread on topic, Alan Smith.

is the correct answer.

The problems are clearly across the pitch, we don't always offer much of a threat which is always going to be difficult. The opposition don't give you enough respect.

However, we've conceded some goals this season (and, of course yesterday) that were due to poor defending. We gave them 3 goals, that's asking a lot for any attacking players to make up don't you think? 

is the correct answer.

The problems are clearly across the pitch, we don't always offer much of a threat which is always going to be difficult. The opposition don't give you enough respect.

However, we've conceded some goals this season (and, of course yesterday) that were due to poor defending. We gave them 3 goals, that's asking a lot for any attacking players to make up don't you think? 

"Better" defenders haven't improved the team too much, I said this all last season. So obviously I agree.

A defence will always make mistakes and concede goals if the team generally isn't offensive enough or isn't good enough at keeping the ball and moving and passing.

I think Taylor and Rozenhal is the best central defence partnership we have at the moment, and always have.

Why aren't we ?

I don't really want to turn this thread into a board/bored thread but you've asked some questions which I'll try to answer.

I think it's far too early to judge how things are going to go under Mort, all I know is that so far we are better off, I have no idea how things will turn out long term.  I'm confident that everything that has been done so far has been the right thing to do.  Ashley took over the club and has so far reduced the debt to a level which we should be able to work with.  I don't want this club to be relying on Ashley pumping money in to finance the club, I want the club to move on and become self-sufficient and be able to finance whatever the manager wants to do without having to get out the begging bowl, to that extent I think we're much better off.  I'm surprised that you can't bring yourself to acknowledge that.

I think both Dyer and Solano should have been replaced, I think both brought something to the team which we no longer have and we're suffering for that.  Dyer had pace which had the opposition worried and Solano had creativity which I'm yet to see this season.

I think our defence has improved individually but not as a unit, I think that is down to a lack of understanding between the players and poor tactics/formations by the manager, I hope he learns from his mistakes.

I don't think I've said anything controversial in that post so let's keep the thread on topic, Alan Smith.

I know the thread is about Alan Smith. But one player isnt' to blame for yesterdays performance. Fact is, he's played for top clubs playing at the top level before, and won England caps. One bad game - when we know there is a major weakness in other areas that you too acknowledge - doesn't change that.

And nothing will change my mind that whoever chose not to replace Solano and Dyer was wrong. For whatever reason, I don't care, it was the wrong decision. And if the club are going to go down the road of not speculating and taking risks, we will never challenge the top 4 clubs.

Do you think that SA has decided he has the offensive players your talking of in Viduka, Smith, Emre and Barton? 3 out of 4 are his signings. I have an impression he thinks he has the players to hold the ball up and the midfielders to put in the quality passes while being able to get stuck in.

Do you think that SA has decided he has the offensive players your talking of in Viduka, Smith, Emre and Barton? 3 out of 4 are his signings. I have an impression he thinks he has the players to hold the ball up and the midfielders to put in the quality passes while being able to get stuck in.

I hope he doesn't think this, if he does, he won't last long.

Why aren't we ?

I know the thread is about Alan Smith. But one player isnt' to blame for yesterdays performance. Fact is, he's played for top clubs playing at the top level before, and won England caps. One bad game - when we know there is a major weakness in other areas that you too acknowledge - doesn't change that.

And nothing will change my mind that whoever chose not to replace Solano and Dyer was wrong. For whatever reason, I don't care, it was the wrong decision. And if the club are going to go down the road of not speculating and taking risks, we will never challenge the top 4 clubs.

One bad game?

Don't you mean one good game because that's all he's had all season, and even that wasn't that good.

Funnily enough i don't think the defence has been improved much either tbh.

However, i hope we buy a RW in January if nothing else.

Why aren't we ?

One bad game?

Don't you mean one good game because that's all he's had all season, and even that wasn't that good.

we've been through this before Baggio. He hasn't played particularly well in midfield, because he isn't a midfield player.

to be quite honest, the whole sodding thing and recent performances have just pissed me off.

to be quite honest, the whole sodding thing and recent performances have just pissed me off.

Me too, right f**king moody after the optimism i had after SA'a appointment.

But i look at Portsmouth and Blackburn who doing well and i realise Redknapp and Hughes have a had a couple of years to development a pretty decent team. Here's hoping.