Anelka

McCormick

Without a doubt. Fast, athletic, decent goalscorer, good all around ability, can play in any formation, good free kick and penalty taker to boot. Looks to have matured, has been desperate to sign for us for a long while now and would almost certainly jump at the chance to join us.

Could see him partnering any of Owen, Martins, Smith, or Viduka adequately, purely because hes so versatile and will provide the combination of pace and intelligent movement required in any partnership.

Hes basically everything that we could do with right now, and unlike other potential targets, would view us as a massive step up, which for someone of his calibre/ability is going to be something pretty hard to find elsewhere.

When did anelka say he was desperate to sign for us?

He didnt - publicly. Souness did, stating that Anelka told him in private he was desperate to come to us, at a time when we were negotiating with Fenerbahce.

He turns 29 before the season's end though. Considering pace is such a big part of his game, that'd be my main reservation.

In terms of his quality, he has been excellent in a poor Bolton side. If he turned out to be Owen's replacement I'd be a bit underwhelmed, and that's not because I want a trophy signing but because of his age.

He turns 29 before the season's end though. Considering pace is such a big part of his game, that'd be my main reservation.

In terms of his quality, he has been excellent in a poor Bolton side. If he turned out to be Owen's replacement I'd be a bit underwhelmed, and that's not because I want a trophy signing but because of his age.

true

if we get anelka in january at beginning of his 30 year... and ameobi leaves, it would be perfect... quality switch, especially with owen and viduka injuried every other match!

however anelkas advancing years speaks against him, question is if he can maintain quality and pace over time...

any later than janary, if not a freebie or a insane low amount, i wouldnt take him

attackers carrers usually "ends" at the age of 32 keep that in back of your mind before you will do anything to sign him!

Huntelaar and Martins is the strikeforce I would most like to see.  Too much to ask?

would love huntelaar as well, but think he has better options and we dont have the £££ to complete the deal

i'd imagine we'd have more than enough money to buy huntelaar (whether i'd want him or not is another issue).

Without a doubt. Fast, athletic, decent goalscorer, good all around ability, can play in any formation, good free kick and penalty taker to boot. Looks to have matured, has been desperate to sign for us for a long while now and would almost certainly jump at the chance to join us.

Could see him partnering any of Owen, Martins, Smith, or Viduka adequately, purely because hes so versatile and will provide the combination of pace and intelligent movement required in any partnership.

Hes basically everything that we could do with right now, and unlike other potential targets, would view us as a massive step up, which for someone of his calibre/ability is going to be something pretty hard to find elsewhere.

Yup.

I don't think Anelka is a good enough long term solution. We already have Viduka and Owen in the later parts of their careers plus a young Martins. If we needed to replace Owen because we sold him or he wants to leave we should get in someone younger, and if for some reason it was replacing Martins we defintely need someone younger, and i can't see Viduka leaving before PL retirement.

Though i'm all for swapping Ameobi with Anelka if Bolton are in the Championship next season  :lol:.

I don't think Anelka is a good enough long term solution. We already have Viduka and Owen in the later parts of their careers plus a young Martins. If we needed to replace Owen because we sold him or he wants to leave we should get in someone younger, and if for some reason it was replacing Martins we defintely need someone younger, and i can't see Viduka leaving before PL retirement.

Though i'm all for swapping Ameobi with Anelka if Bolton are in the Championship next season  :lol:.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if he didn't have a relegation get out clause. His wages will be pricey, entering the twilight of his career, hardly a no brainer. If we could pick him up bargain price though, why not.