Linked with Scott Brown in a January move

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle Chase Celtic Star!

By Nu Mad Tuesday 16th October 2007

The Scottish Herald report today that Sam Allardyce is after Celtic player Scott Brown ... as suddenly Scottish players are back in fashion!

Article continues below

For so long Newcastle had a monopoly on players from over the border.

And you only have to look at those involved in our last trophy success - the Fairs Cup and the two Wembley appearances (v Liverpool and Man City) to see the 'Tartan Brigade'.

Tommy Gibb, John McNamee, Bob Moncur, Jimmy Scott, Jimmy Smith, Tommy Craig and although Benny Arentoft was Danish, he was signed from Morton.

Times changed, but suddenly Scotland's recent success has got the English scouts heading to Chilly Jocko Land.

The Herald reports today:

"Scott Brown, within a month of his £5.5m transfer from Hibernian to Celtic, has already been the subject of a £9m enquiry, believed to be from Newcastle United, according to the David Dickinson of the football agency business, Willie McKay.

"Given the rate of inflation among club-to-club Premiership transfers, Rangers and Celtic will doubtless be bracing themselves for hovering vultures."

He's really small, but I think he can be used both as a (right) winger and attacking midfielder.

he's really small in a brick-shi* house sort of way. All over the place, dominating midfiled. Strong tackler, just the sort of player to build your rock solid midfield around.

Celtic don't need the money, won't happen. Sadly

I was quite impressed with him when we played them, haven't seen anything of him since but he seemed like the type of player who will bring the ball through the centre. We have Barton for that really though. Looked quite pacy from what I remember...?

Vast majority of scotch players are shit when it comes to the real league which is the English league. A few half decent results doesn't change that. Even in the past, for every scotch player who made it in England another dozen failed.

Very true and along the lines of an articles I read today about Shaun Maloney. Also mentioned how James McFadden was the countries savour (or something along those lines) but has struggled at Everton.

Vast majority of scotch players are s*** when it comes to the real league which is the English league. A few half decent results doesn't change that. Even in the past, for every scotch player who made it in England another dozen failed.

True. However, there have been as few North Eastern players lately as Scottish players with any significant quality. No idea why.

In their prime the likes of Beardsley, Waddle, Gazza, Robson etc would walk into most Premiership sides. Likewise, Hansen (who was a superb centre half/sweeper), Dalglish, Souness and Steve Nicol (most underrated player I have seen). Even John Wark is a step up on wat they have now.

Perhaps there may be some resurgence. There certainly needs to be. There has been fuck all of any note out of either place since Alan Shearer.

Of course there was the likes of John Robertson who shone up there, but generally established players up there did fuck all down here with the exception of Dalglish - at least thats the only one I can think of. The rest came down as kids.

Cracking player, would love to see him play in the black & white, don't really see it happening though.

This.

He is quality.

Remember Boumfluff and other have looked quality in the SPL.

He's a bit like Mark Noble, very busy, gets stuck in and looks to get forward and grab a few goals.

Probably slightly better though and can also play on the right of midfield not just the centre.

I doubt that newspaper report  has anything in it though, they got the price that Celtic bought him for wrong for a start.

He's really small, but I think he can be used both as a (right) winger and attacking midfielder.

he's really small in a brick-shi* house sort of way. All over the place, dominating midfiled. Strong tackler, just the sort of player to build your rock solid midfield around.

Celtic don't need the money, won't happen. Sadly

that was Barry Ferguson

Vast majority of scotch players are s*** when it comes to the real league which is the English league. A few half decent results doesn't change that. Even in the past, for every scotch player who made it in England another dozen failed.

What is a "scotch" player?

one of the vast majority of those shit players that come down from Scotland, as he said. Via Scotrail, unless they have a car

There is a chance he could be class, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be fair though, they have got a good goalkeeper for the first time in a few decades, so you never know.

one of the vast majority of those s*** players that come down from Scotland, as he said. Via Scotrail, unless they have a car

There is a chance he could be class, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be fair though, they have got a good goalkeeper for the first time in a few decades, so you never know.

I think you mean Scottish. 

Scotrail now run trains to England, thats news to me btw?