***(Euro 2008 - Qualifying)*** Russia v England Today at 16:00

Skirge

Guest NorwegianMag

Russia possibly the worst national side i have seen really really poor

Wind up for sure!

England play s**** football and deserved to lose. The Russian side is NOT bad, and with Gus Hiddink as manager, and players like Arshavin, they're a strong side. This result didn't come as an shock for me to be honest.

To be honest though the dubious penalty - saw it in the Sky highlights - didn't come as much of a surprise because as long as I can remember watching England (since Mexico 86) the marginal descisions in key games seem to have an unusual balance to have gone against us. 

Apart from our offside goal in the first half, then.

Well apart from the hand of god, Ronald Koeman, having late winners in two quarter finals in separate competitions for 'a foul on the keeper' then thats 5-1 to the referee in my book. Nah, I'll give you another one in the russian linesman. 5-2 then.  I'm not trying to say that it's always gone against us, but generally over the years the marginal / referee has gone blind / the referee has made up new rules type of decisions in the big games do seem to weigh more heavily in the 'gone against England' side of the scale. 

But, it's not this result that has been the downfall of England but the dropped points v Macedonia and Croatia that have cost qualification next year.  This should have been an easy group to qualify out of and McClaren hasn't. 

i take it roi and ni arent in qualifyable positions?

We are (NI) but it look doubtful under are new manager who doesn't have a clue what he's doing. We've got Sweden away and Spain away :L

Want McClaren? ???

Want Nigel Worthnothing? :p

i take it roi and ni arent in qualifyable positions?

We are (NI) but it look doubtful under are new manager who doesn't have a clue what he's doing. We've got Sweden away and Spain away :L

Want McClaren? ???

Want Nigel Worthnothing? :p

Rather have a pint of Worthingtons and that stuff is piss!

There wasn't a single person in this country apart from FA employees and Boro fans delighted to see the back of him who thought hiring McClaren was a good idea and now the chickens have come home to roost.

As for Paul Robinson, he gets worse and worse and worse. The fat twat is abysmal. Inclined to say he'll have a blinder on Monday too but he's been his usual fat blobby "I'm going to take 8-10 days to get down to this shot" self the last few times we've played them.

Guest elbee909

I'm waiting for the media backpedalling re. Sven Goran Eriksson, but hell will freeze over before those fickle media fucks admit they were wrong.  Get what you wish for as far as they're concerned.

I'm waiting for the media backpedalling re. Sven Goran Eriksson, but hell will freeze over before those fickle media fucks admit they were wrong.  Get what you wish for as far as they're concerned.

wrong about what? sven had to go, the problem was not getting rid of him but replacing him with someone who is about the same standard as graeme souness. Wullie said it best, no-one in the country outside the FA and boro thought it was a good idea to get him. hopefully McLaren will be out of a job by the time he returns to the UK.

wrong about what? sven had to go, the problem was not getting rid of him but replacing him with someone who is about the same standard as graeme souness.

That's true.

Whats worse, not qualifying at all or qualifying, building the countries hopes up through the media hype machine (every eve of a tournament some of the tabloids run ridiculous "What the World is Waiting for" or "Our Time is Now!" headline) before losing inevitably in the 1/4 finals.

The supporters of England have to learn that we're not a super power like some would have us believe. We're not a Brazil, Argentina, Italy or even a Portugal. We're in that same bracket of quality as Sweden and Spain.  Sure we have some decent players, but when was the last time we saw a decent England team? Every England manager seems to think its nothing more than picking the best players in their positions and the results will follow. We never seem to look for a good team blend. A classic example is the persistence of picking Rooney and Owen as a partnership, both good players but they have hardly ever looked a good partnership. Owen and the much maligned Heskey, were far more effective but because Rooney is the supposed whizz kid he'll always be in before a Heskey, Crouch or Defoe.

It really is time to totally revamp the set up and i think that means bringing in a continental coach. Someone like Mourinho, van Gaal or Scolari wouldnt be afraid to try new things rather than bow to media pressure. Jose's available now so the FA should show some balls and make their move now rather than dilly dallying to wait to see if McClown can somehow pull a rabbit out the hat.

Dont think the problem is just down to McLaren, sat down with a friend today and chatted some football and we talked about the English national team. Neither of us managed to come up with a formation, with all players fit that we where completely happy with and as a lot of the key players are injury prone it gets even worse. My country dont have that many quality players but for modern football I would say both our forwards are better than yours. Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

What I am saying is, its not just down to McLaren. You have some great players but it seems that there is no way to get them playing in a working formation.

Dont think the problem is just down to McLaren, sat down with a friend today and chatted some football and we talked about the English national team. Neither of us managed to come up with a formation, with all players fit that we where completely happy with and as a lot of the key players are injury prone it gets even worse. My country dont have that many quality players but for modern football I would say both our forwards are better than yours. Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

What I am saying is, its not just down to McLaren. You have some great players but it seems that there is no way to get them playing in a working formation.

What a load of shit, Elmander and Ibrahimovic better than Rooney and Owen? :lol: Secondly, there's something wrong if you can't find a formation for the caliber of players England have.