Rafa and Gerrard clear the air talk

Dinho lad

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?in_article_id=72346&in_page_id=43&ito=newsnow

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez and Steven Gerrard have held clear-the-air talks after the former's controversial decision to substitute his captain during Saturday's Merseyside derby.

Gerrard admitted on Monday he had been 'hurt' by the decision, although Lucas Leiva, the man who replaced him, won the penalty which led to the winning goal.

But after talking to his skipper benitez explained: 'When you are a manager you need to make decisions, not just think about them.

'You must think how you can win the game. Every player is the same for me when you are trying to win a game.

'We have talked because every player would be disappointed, especially Gerrard because it was a derby. He wanted to score the winning goal, but he is okay.

'After some time he'll understand that it was an idea and I was thinking about the best for the team.'

Before the talks, Gerrard admitted he would not be making things hard for his manager, even though he didn't like being replaced.

'I was hurt and disappointed at being taken off because I'm a local lad and the derby means everything to me,' he said. 'I'll be speaking to the manager about it but I won't be banging on his door or anything like that. 'We'll just have a chat and whatever is said will remain between us. But I've been in the game long enough to know that no-one is going to play every minute of every game. The most important thing is that we won the game.'

Oh wow, so you got substituted.... get over it, “Stevie”! :rolleyes: The substitution worked and you won the game….now stop behaving like a tart. It’s not as if you’ve been playing brilliantly recently.

Honestly though, wouldn’t any of you lot become a bit irritated if this was a Newcastle player?

I would.

Ridiculous.

After turning down Chelsea and signing that new contract he must think Liverpool are forever in his debt and he runs the fuckin' club.  He'll be asking for the keys to the city next.  Either that or he'll steal them.

He also always goes on about new signings as if they need his personal approval to be good enough for the team.  Comes across as a total ego maniac.

i wouldnt be irratated in the slightest, in fact id love it, shows that all he wants to do is play football primariliy for his team and just as imporatantly for his City.

Passion and commitment, something which has been missing for a few years now at nufc.

i wouldnt be irratated in the slightest, in fact id love it, shows that all he wants to do is play football primariliy for his team and just as imporatantly for his City.

Passion and commitment, something which has been missing for a few years now at nufc.

Passion and commitment to the cause of Liverpool or of Steven Gerrard though? Seems more like option B.

I don't think he particularly does want to be playing in Liverpool though. He only stayed a couple of years ago (when he pulled out of the Chelsea deal at the last moment) because a gangster (who was slipping his misses one incidently) threatened to 'cap his family if he left

(note this can not be substantiated (by myself anyway), but was seemingly common knowledge around Liverpool at the time (I was living/working there and worked with some bloke who used to work at Anfield and claimed to be ITK).

Feel free to delete mods if you want, just what I have heard from many different sources.

Guest toontoon

I don't think he particularly does want to be playing in Liverpool though. He only stayed a couple of years ago (when he pulled out of the Chelsea deal at the last moment) because a gangster (who was slipping his misses one incidently) threatened to 'cap his family if he left

(note this can not be substantiated (by myself anyway), but was seemingly common knowledge around Liverpool at the time (I was living/working there and worked with some bloke who used to work at Anfield and claimed to be ITK).

Feel free to delete mods if you want, just what I have heard from many different sources.

where did you hear that?

Players get death threats all the time. Like 95% of football rumours this should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

I suspect he was using Chelsea to get a better deal for himself, but who knows?

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Sam being scared to drop players either:

Sam Allardyce insists he has no problem making tough decisions and upsetting players at Newcastle.

The St James' Park boss believes that it is impossible to keep his entire squad happy, but insists it is up to each individual to deal with any disappointments.

The former Bolton manager is also prepared to speak to any player who feels hard done by and will not allow bad feeling to fester.

Decisions

Allardyce told The Mirror: "Players at some stage will walk out of the training ground and they won't like me.

"Some players will be fine however you've dealt with them on that day. Whatever you've done, someone walks out of the training ground dissatisfied with you.

"It's all part of life as a manager because you have to make decisions some of the players don't like or don't agree with. They can come and discuss it like men and then get on with it.

"I wake up the next day and whatever's gone on has gone on. Basically most of the time it's the players fault not mine - they drop themselves."

And the Magpies manager has hinted he is already looking to bring in more new faces during the January transfer window when he expects to temporarily lose the services of four key players.

Difficult

Striker Obafemi Martins, skipper Geremi and defenders Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye could all be required for African Cup of Nations duty in the New Year.

Allardyce added: "I lose four, but most of the country loses a similar amount these days.

"I think there's only Manchester United who do not have an African Nations player playing. Most of the other teams do.

"It's a difficult period. The January window is something for me to talk about with Chris (Mort), the chairman, and try to plan for that as soon as we can and see what comes about."

Passion and commitment to the cause of Liverpool or of Steven Gerrard though? Seems more like option B.

Probably true, but i cant help but sympathize with him, i like that attitude of wanting to play all the time, it was brattish but honest, to be fair he's specified the derby as being an important aspect and hasnt complained (in public) when he hasnt played in other games, which to me spells out that he really wanted to play for the city.

People seem to want there players to be robots, he says something he's a selfish ego maniac (Gerrard) he doesnt say anything he's a unloyal cretin (Owen)

Damned if ya do, damned if ya dont, i'd rather have the "ego maniac" than the silent cretin.

Honestly though, wouldn’t any of you lot become a bit irritated if this was a Newcastle player?

I would.

So would I, luckily for us Shearer's retired now.

...and Craig Bellamy doesn't play for us anymore.

Guest Stephen927

It's become a situation where Gerrard has become bigger than the club. Rafa should put his foot down and tell Gerrard that no player is untouchable.

In reality what will happen is Gerrard won't be substituted again in the near future unless he has a knock.

It's ridiculous the amount of fuss he's kicking up over it, it turned out to be a good decision (albeit a bit lucky, I thought it should have been Sissoko who was subbed), and ended in Liverpool gaining a penalty from Lucas' strike.

It's become a situation where Gerrard has become bigger than the club. Rafa should put his foot down and tell Gerrard that no player is untouchable.

In reality what will happen is Gerrard won't be substituted again in the near future unless he has a knock.

It's ridiculous the amount of fuss he's kicking up over it, it turned out to be a good decision (albeit a bit lucky, I thought it should have been Sissoko who was subbed), and ended in Liverpool gaining a penalty from Lucas' strike.

to be honest, i think the next game will show us who is in charge. If rafa subs gerrard, even if there is only 2 mins left it will be him showing he is in charge!

He should learn to shut the fuck and stop moaning for a change. Hes on ridiculous money and has no right to be a whinging cunt when hes substituted for one game.

Boils my piss he has to have 'clear the air' talks, haha, what a fucking joke

Stick him in the reserves for a week and he'd have a heart attack :laugh:

He should learn to shut the fuck and stop moaning for a change. Hes on ridiculous money and has no right to be a whinging cunt when hes substituted for one game.

Boils my piss he has to have 'clear the air' talks, haha, what a fucking joke

Stick him in the reserves for a week and he'd have a heart attack :laugh:

When some players DON'T complain when they're on the bench, they're called mercenary, greedy twats. When they DO complain about not playing, they 'have no right to' because they're on 'ridiculous' money'...

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.