Reading pre match thread

NSG

Guest Darth Toon

I think we'll definitely see the use of a target man up front - either Viduka or Smith - with the question being who misses out. Personally I would be tempted to stick with Oba for his pace on the break, but Owen is probably the more likely starter.

Midfield I think will probably be the same, unless Milner starts for N'Zogbia - pretty sure Barton will have to make do with bench for at least one more game.

Reassuring thing is that I've agreed with just about all of Sam's selections in recent games, so happy enough to trust his judgement.

Guest Lamby1976

Is there any chance he may go for a 4-3-3 and play Martins and Owen off a target man (Smith or Viduka)??  It may be a bit to attack minded for BS however as long as Owen and Martins know they have a job to do when we dont have the ball this may work. 

As a target man is available to play against Reading I would be suprised if BS did not play with one especially away from home. 

Guest Guinness

I'd go with the same team again. Hopefully having played the same back four for two consecutive games we'll have a bit more solidity on the road. Reading are a decent side at home, but hopefully we'll go into this one full of confidence on the back of two home wins. If we want to be challenging for Europe we need to be winning matches like this. We were extremely poor at Derby and City, we need to up our game massively away from home and there's no better time to start than now.

Same team, Smith takes Ameobi's place on the bench, Barton comes on earlier into the 2nd half

something like this!

viduka and smith on the bench - bring on viduka if the two small uns aren't working out.

martins is essential away from home imo - his pace will be key this season!  :clap2:

Can't see anyway in which Allardyce could drop Martins or Owen but think he would prefer a target man to play. So....

Given

Beye        Cacapa    Faye      Enrique

Butt

Emre

Geremi                                  N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

Subs:

Harper

Rozehnal

Milner

Barton

Smith

Given

Beye      Faye          Taylor    Enrique

geremi   butt   emre

owen            smith           milner

Dropping N'Zogbia and playing Owen wide?

Can't see anyway in which Allardyce could drop Martins or Owen but think he would prefer a target man to play. So....

Given

Beye        Cacapa     Faye      Enrique

Butt

Emre

Geremi                                  N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

Subs:

Harper

Rozehnal

Milner

Barton

Smith

I must say that is a strong team and a very strong bench. We seem to have a good squad building up now

Guest sittingontheball

Tricky tie.  Reading's home form is decent, our away form is poor. 

Decent-ish - played 5, won 3 lost 2 goal difference of -1

Our away form - played 4, won 1, drawn 1, lost 2 goal difference of -1

Nailed on draw on form I'd say

Reading have only scored five in five home games, so their wins can't have been convincing ones.

Same team for me. Their defensive record is so poor that we should be positive.

Good time to play them, i think we can keep a clean sheet with this one, and Martins & Owen could really hurt them on the counter.

But we could see a Derby performance as well, so i'm not sure how this one is going to work out.

A point would be good, a win would be mint, a loss wouldn't annoy me as much as it would usually at this stage.

I can't comment too substantially as i didn't see the game last night, therefore have no firm idea of how the team actually worked. But, going purely off what i've read both here and elsewhere, the only positions subject to change is the striking department. The rest of the team: defense - solid, midfield - creative/balanced. I'll be livid if Smith walks straight back into the midfield.

So, as i say, the only position that could possibly change is upfront. But i don't even think we should do that. It depends largely on how Reading form their defense. If they push up, as you'd expect them to do (they need a win and will feel they can get that at home), then we might aswell stick with Martins and Owen and hit them with pace and use the counter-attack. If they sit deep and try and contain us (which i can't see them doing as they know we're on good attacking form and they need to win), then we should bring Smith/Viduka on.

Starting with Owen and Martins is probably the best option though, i feel.

They're a weak side and we should be continuing our 'un-afraid' form. There's no need to go 4-3-3 and play for a draw. There's every chance we can play attacking football, yet still come away with a clean sheet aswell as a victory.

Given

Beye  Faye  Caçapa  Enrique

Geremi  Butt  Emre  N'Zogbia

Martins  Owen

Subs: Harper, Rozehnal, Barton, Milner, Smith

0-0.

I can't comment too substantially as i didn't see the game last night, therefore have no firm idea of how the team actually worked. But, going purely off what i've read both here and elsewhere, the only positions subject to change is the striking department. The rest of the team: defense - solid, midfield - creative/balanced. I'll be livid if Smith walks straight back into the midfield.

So, as i say, the only position that could possibly change is upfront. But i don't even think we should do that. It depends largely on how Reading form their defense. If they push up, as you'd expect them to do (they need a win and will feel they can get that at home), then we might aswell stick with Martins and Owen and hit them with pace and use the counter-attack. If they sit deep and try and contain us (which i can't see them doing as they know we're on good attacking form and they need to win), then we should bring Smith/Viduka on.

Starting with Owen and Martins is probably the best option though, i feel.

They're a weak side and we should be continuing our 'un-afraid' form. There's no need to go 4-3-3 and play for a draw. There's every chance we can play attacking football, yet still come away with a clean sheet aswell as a victory.

Given

Beye  Faye  Caçapa  Enrique

Geremi  Butt  Emre  N'Zogbia

Martins  Owen

Subs: Harper, Rozehnal, Barton, Milner, Smith

0-0.

Pretty much agree 100%. Tempted to start with Milner on the right this time or at least bring him and Barton on at some point. Need to carry this attacking momentum on and not do what we did at Derby i.e. invite them to attack us by playing too many defensive players. If Oba and Owen doesn't work this time then try Smith up top again as he was impressive v Everton.

Would you try?

-------------Given

Bye--Cacapa---Roze---Enrique

--------------Faye

----Barton-------------Emre

-------------Martins

-----Owen----------Viduka

That's the kind of thing that I'd only be comfortable with us trying at home. Possibly the Portsmouth game? I don't think it's safe to test it out away from home.

if we pick up 1 point i would be happy

a draw will be better than reading last season

then we must go into the pompey game with a win

by christmas i think we will see roughly where we will finish

Would you try?

-------------Given

Bye--Cacapa---Roze---Enrique

--------------Faye

----Barton-------------Emre

-------------Martins

-----Owen----------Viduka

No. i don't think that will suit Owen and Viduka + vidukas lack of mobilitly against good defenders worries me. Nothing/not enough down the flanks imo + Cacapa and Faye are forming a very impressive partnership i'd like to see that continue. No Zoggy or Milner means we are not going to stretch teams enough imo.

if we pick up 1 point i would be happy

a draw will be better than reading last season

I don't see how anyone could go into a game against Reading thinking a draw would be a good result.  These are definite must win games if we want to finish top 6.  I for one won't be happy with anything other than 3 points.

We have a far better squad and a farrrr better manager than we did last season.