Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Perhaps I should clarify that my definition of rejuvenated in this case is out of the relegation zone, but never in danger of breaking into the top ten, but getting the odd inconsistent result against our UEFA cup rivals, and then losing to Wigan  the following week.

Perhaps I should clarify that my definition of rejuvenated in this case is out of the relegation zone, but never in danger of breaking into the top ten, but getting the odd inconsistent result against our UEFA cup rivals, and then losing to Wigan  the following week.

No, it'd be best if they were relegated.

No, it'd be best if they went into liquidation.

What did he do at Betis? Or Espanyol? Or Malaga?

Ramos started off his managerial career in 1992/93 at tiny Club Deportivo Alcoyano, in Spain's Second Division B.

In his first season the club - whose El Collao stadium has just 5,000 seats - finished 14th, going on to finish 9th the following year.

The 53-year-old then moved on to another club based in Valencia - Levante UD - who were also in Second Division B.

His one season in charge was a success, with Levante winning the title and thereby gaining promotion to the second division proper.

But Ramos was on the move again.

For the 1995/96 season he was in charge of Club Deportivo Logrones, where he continued his managerial success by winning promotion to the Spanish First Division.

Two promotion campaigns were enough to get Romas a move to Barcelona - to manage their B team.

However, his 1996/97 campaign at Barcelona B was not a triumph, with the team eventually finishing 19th in the Second Division proper.

Yet again, Ramos was on the move, this time to the Catalonian club Unio Esportiva Lleida. He led the club to a very respectable 5th in Spain's second tier in 97/98.

But you guessed it - he was off again.

Ramos joined the Spanish second flight's Rayo Vallecano for the 1998/99 season - leading them to promotion via the play offs. Ramos had finally made it to the top league.

In the following two seasons he led the Madrid club - with a ground which only holds 15,000 - to 9th and 14th spot respectively. While also reaching the UEFA Cup quarter finals.

Such achievements led to Ramos landing his first 'big' job, as manager of Real Betis.

He led the Seville club to 6th in 2001/02, a major achievement for a club which had just returned to the top flight.

But he was off again. In 2002/03 he had a very short stint - just five games - as boss of Espanyol, before quitting the club.

The following season he resurfaced at unfashionable Malaga, who finished a very respectable 10th in the top division under Ramos' leadership.

Now Ramos was on the move again - this time to Seville's other big club, Sevilla.

Two UEFA cups, a Copa del Rey, a European Supercup, a Spanish Supercup have followed. As well as Champions League qualification via a third place finish last season.

TOTTENHAM have just found themselves Juan hell of a manager.

For Juande Ramos is the man Spurs have been crying out for years.

Think of Arsene Wenger, throw in a bit of Alex Ferguson and mix it up with Jose Mourinho and you get Ramos.

For the players he is a mentor, a teacher, a man who loves spectacular, attacking football like Wenger.

Go out of form, take your eye of the ball and you are dropped even if you are Beckham or Van Nistelrooy. Work your socks off and you are in the team for good just like Sir Alex.

If you need your manager to be a leader, a friend, a confidante just like Mourinho then Ramos is your man.

Jermain Defoe, things are looking up for you today. You WILL play because Ramos does not care about names, reputations or transfer fees.

And the fans can rejoice because Ramos WILL deliver.

He has never failed, taking teams from oblivion and putting them on the map and you would struggle to find a player who has a bad word about him.

Ramos led Seville into the Champions League for the first time and won back-to-back UEFA Cups, a Spanish Cup and the European Super Cup.

He guided lowly Malaga to 10th place their highest La Liga finish. When he left they got relegated. When he was in charge of Rayo Vallecano he got them to the UEFA Cup. Even though they got a fair-play spot they had still finished ninth.

Next stop was newly-promoted Real Betis and he led them to a UEFA Cup spot in his first season, narrowly missing out on a Champions League place.

His only mishap was at Espanyol when he was sacked eight games into the season after a fall-out with the directors over signings.

A close friend of Ramos said last night: The word that best defines Juande is justice. He is a just man, a fair man.

Ramos goes out of his way to be a friend to his players. He wins their trust by being fair.

The new Spurs boss will always play the most in-form players. He will drop Dimitar Berbatov if he has to and will not think twice about it.

Last year, Seville paid 5million for striker Ernesto Chevanton, a massive fee for them. But he hardly got a game.

He did not convince Ramos. Like Andriy Shevchenko failed to convince Mourinho despite a 30m transfer fee.

By contrast, Fredi Kanoute and Louis Fabiano were irreplaceable.

In fact, even youngster Kepa Blanco who spent the second half of last season on loan to West Ham played ahead of Chevanton.

Ramos always prefers a rigid 4-4-2 system with two strikers. He only ever changes it to 4-4-1-1, with a second striker behind the targetman, when Seville play away from home against big clubs like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

He adapts his game to the squad he inherits and, like Wenger, those who have played under his guidance have increased their value.

Players like Joaquin at Betis and Daniel Alves at Seville burst on to the world scene under his guidance. Kanoute left Spurs as a flop and scored 20 Liga goals last season.

Yet Ramos is different to the legendary three Premier League managers in one way he is always calm, does not remonstrate with referees, does not moan.

He is serene as another close pal of his described. Whether that will change in these shores remains to be seen.

Unlike Mourinho, he will never court headlines and although very polite and courteous to the media he will always give an interview he does steer clear of controversy.

Barcelona were planning to replace Frank Rijkaard with Ramos if the Dutchman left at the end of the season. Real, too, were always following him closely.

However Ramos has been studying English for some time.

Last year, he won the prestigious �Miguel Munoz� trophy for the best manager in Spain.

In his homeland he is rated among the best two Spanish managers along with Liverpools Rafa Benitez.

But unlike the under-fire Liverpool boss Ramos loves to play attacking football.

Talk about building yourself up for a fall.

If he's that good he wouldn't be going to Spurs.

Where's that article from anyway?

3 promotions + 2 establishing clubs in the top division + good run in uefa + huge success at sevilla. sounds pretty good job considering he is a journeyman who doesn't spend too long at one club. i wouldnt judge him too much on what he does this season, he;ll stabilise them in a few months and anything extra will be considered a bonus. sounds like he'll do a good job to me, if he sticks round long enough (probably won't).

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/forums/thread/230728.aspx

"Robinson is looking more and more like a loser every match , Harsh i know but you asked the question . Id like Buffon and stranger things have happened !!!!"

God, I fucking love them.

:lol:

re: that Sun article earlier in the thread, the paper is mocking them and they don't even realise it. getting the gullible bastards' hopes up so the same paper can report with glee when those hopes are cruelly dashed. makes for a good read.

I don't know much about Ramos, my guess is that he's being talked up a bit.  Sevilla weren't that far off winning things before he became manager, it's not as if he's turned them around.

Aye, i'd agree he's probably being well talked up, but we've been not that far off winning things recently as well but never did, also he's kept them winning/qualifying which to me shows that he's not a one-hit wonder.