Egghead - Move Premiership games to the US

Wullie

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

It's worse if you play with/against them, as I have been unfortunate enough to do. I remember one guy saying "dude, go for the one-timer". I guess he was trying to say hit it first time. There were plenty other examples but I can't think of them right now. It does make you cringe hearing them talk about it, I guess they can't help it but I think a lot of them (certainly the ones I met and have lived with) were a lost cause, they've been brought up on sports like Baseball and American Football and the culture of those sports is totally different.

yeah, I went to Mexico, and the English (and Irish) had a match against the Mexicans on the beach.  However the Americans (and a few Canadians) heckled us into letting them play.  As for your "one-timer" example, I had one shout to me to play a "low ball", which I interpreted as a straight-forward, side-footed pass along the ground.  To this day I have no idea what he meant.

Sounds like you need to tighten up your game dude, your offense sucks.

Wow, people in different parts of the world speak differently?!?!... :rolleyes:

Wish people could see the the bigger picture... :rolleyes:

Losing a home match opposed to raising the global reputation of your club and raising millions of pounds in the process.....

tough one... :rolleyes:

If ever an avatar intermingled nicely with a post, this is that instance. :lol:

Why thank you kind sir.  :lol:

Just wish more people would open their eyes and accept things change. It's 2007 and clubs aren't run the way they were 30 years ago. Football is a worldwide sport and the Premier League is the most popular going. Introducing it to a whole new audience in America is an opportunity to be embraced, not rebuffed.

Fucks sake.  :rolleyes:

If it happens I hope they make a better choice than the NFL have with the Giants vs Dolphins.

I'm actually going to it and am not arsed in the slightest, the Dolphins are fucking woeful. :lol:

Would it have been so much to ask to wait a week and get Indy and New England over?

If it happens I hope they make a better choice than the NFL have with the Giants vs Dolphins.

I'm actually going to it and am not arsed in the slightest, the Dolphins are fucking woeful. :lol:

Would it have been so much to ask to wait a week and get Indy and New England over?

Yes!  ;D

Fantastic game in store. :)

A ridiculous idea from a ridiculous chairman imo.  As always these people think about their wallets to the exclusion of everything else and hold the average fan in contempt.  When he says it's good for the game he means it's good for the bottom line.  Mind you I expect he needs to find the money to pay our Kieron's medical bills....... 

Losing a home match opposed to raising the global reputation of your club and raising millions of pounds in the process.....

Just wish more people would open their eyes and accept things change. It's 2007 and clubs aren't run the way they were 30 years ago. Football is a worldwide sport and the Premier League is the most popular going. Introducing it to a whole new audience in America is an opportunity to be embraced, not rebuffed.

It's not going to happen, mark my words. I can't even understand this is being debated. Absolute garbage.

I'd be amazed if anybody in this thread cannot see "the bigger picture", that this would be done for financial reasons. People are objecting to it because they see this as overstepping the line. Football has gone through huge changes, many of which were necessary, but we're talking about playing competitive games in front of tens of thousands of indifferent fans, all in the name of corporate greed. It would be naive to think that this would be done for the benefit of American people or the good of the sport. Eggert Magnusson couldn't care less about that. Once you start exporting competitive games to neutral venues in front of thousands of indifferent fans, the sport becomes a farce, the integrity of the game and the influence of the fans suffers as a result. That in my opinion is the bigger picture.

It's futile. The game has been here for decades and hasn't taken off (as a professional sport). A Premiership game or two here or there won't make a difference.

Very bad idea.

I'm listening to the World Football Phone-In on Five Live at the minute.

Their North American Football (that's our Football - not gridiron) correspondant not only thinks that a Premier League game or occassional Premier League games will be played in the USA shortly.

He also thinks that within 25 years there will be an American-based Premier League club, with New York being the obvious choice.  :kasper:

My initial reaction is NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, both in terms of not going to happen and shouldn't bloody happen.

But then again, nothing would suprise me these days.

Very bad idea.

Their North American Football (that's our Football - not gridiron) correspondant not only thinks that a Premier League game or occassional Premier League games will be played in the USA shortly.

He also thinks that within 25 years there will be an American-based Premier League club, with New York being the obvious choice.  :kasper:

My initial reaction is NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, both in terms of not going to happen and shouldn't bloody happen.

the americans also said during the 1994 world cup that in 20 years they'd be the best team in the world. 7 years left lads, better get a move on!

Very bad idea.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Well, since Ridzuan last posted.

I'd be amazed if anybody in this thread cannot see "the bigger picture", that this would be done for financial reasons. People are objecting to it because they see this as overstepping the line. Football has gone through huge changes, many of which were necessary, but we're talking about playing competitive games in front of tens of thousands of indifferent fans, all in the name of corporate greed. It would be naive to think that this would be done for the benefit of American people or the good of the sport. Eggert Magnusson couldn't care less about that. Once you start exporting competitive games to neutral venues in front of thousands of indifferent fans, the sport becomes a farce, the integrity of the game and the influence of the fans suffers as a result. That in my opinion is the bigger picture.

This is true, but how on earth would it make any financial sense at all? Undoubtedly financial motives are behind it, but what baffles me is how anyone thinks this would prove itself out with any substantial financial reward.

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

I only used the word "soccer" to differentiate it from the NFL. when talking about the NFL football and English football in the same paragraph it can get confusing without using "soccer." Sorry about that.

No worries, its just everytime i hear an american accent say "soccer" a piece of me dies

200% agree...I HATE THE WORD SOCCER...Football for FS...NFL is more played with hand than foot tbh...

Who cares about "raising the global reputation of your club"...That was never and should never be the reason why people play football....What happened to playing football for your OWN home fans at YOUR OWN PARK ?

The raising of global reputation of a club is just a side effect and was never the reason why football is played...

Football is a worldside sport YES but it has always been a WORLD WIDE SPORT except in North America, Australia, Newzeland but WHO CARES...

You don't have to convert every person on this earth to become a football fanatic unless you want to do that for your money grabbing advantage so as to make more money which means you really don't care about football in the first place...(I don't mean yourself here when I write 'you' btw)

If only people had your logic and sense, the world would be a peaceful place...Never read anything other than great posts by you sir...

This is true, but how on earth would it make any financial sense at all? Undoubtedly financial motives are behind it, but what baffles me is how anyone thinks this would prove itself out with any substantial financial reward.

I think it would for at least few years before the level of the game go down and get ruined by the indifferent fans...

Look I'm aussie and I live in Melbourne, do you think I wouldn't love to see NUFC playing overseas but if that means breaking traditions, killing history and the reasons that made the premiere league the way it is then I won't be happy and don't want to see them playing overseas because it might be good initially however in the long run you will be killing the SOUL of the game and reason that made the game so great...ITS LOCAL FANS AND THE CONNECTION WITH THE CLUB AND THE HISTORY AND TRADITIONS...

Guest Ridzuan

What the hell is he thinking? I dont think it will boost the Premiership profile but instead it will damage it.Why must it be the US? Its unfair to the rest of the fans in the world.They already have beckham and that I think is enough.

Very bad idea.

I know they're not Premier League, but don't Palace have a team over there?  I did my research and I think they go by the name of the "Baltimore Eagles"? is it?  Or something like that?

And yes, wasn't USA '94 meant to kick a football phenomenon over there?