Comparison of this season to others.

James

Currently, we have a record of

P9, W5, D2, L2, F16, A11, GD5 = 17pts

After 9 games last season:

P9, W2, D1, L6, F7, A13, GD-6 = 7pts.

That looks impressive, especially in the goalscoring and winning department.

However, earlier in the season, the Spurs board were said to have compared the results of specific fixtures to justify Jol keeping his job. Doing the same for us (replacing Derby for Watford), you get:

P9, W3, D4, L2, F13, A10, GD3 = 13pts.

In that sense, we are still losing the same amount of games, just we've turned a couple of draws in to wins, meaning we've scored a few more, and won a few more than last season. In fact, our defensive performance has been worse than last year!

So although we are definitely doing better than in past seasons, news of significant improvement are a little exaggerated.

Obviously stats dont account for improved confidence or improved performances, but I'm going to keep a comparative record going on in this thread, perhaps including a few other seasons.

Just to clarify, I'm comparing Bolton away this season with Bolton away last season, then Villa home this season with Villa home last season etc.

Makes no sense. We played Bolton away in December and Villa home in January.

Just to clarify, I'm comparing Bolton away this season with Bolton away last season, then Villa home this season with Villa home last season etc.

Makes no sense. We played Bolton away in December and Villa home in January.

It makes perfect sense. If you want to do better in the league, you need to turn draws against teams into wins, and defeats against teams into wins or draws. For instance, we've improved on defeats against Middlesbrough and Bolton. At the start of the season Allardyce said something about the importance of improving results against specific teams leading to improved league standings, and this comparison follows this philosophy.

Obviously statistics aren't the be all end all, but the league table is also just a statistic in itself at this stage of the season, and we have to be prepared for the possibility that we aren't currently the 10 points better off we seem to think we are.

You've also got to consider the other team as well though, for example Bolton were a hell of a lot better last season than this, Villa were worse last season etc.

Also the comparative runs that clubs were on when we play them, look at Arsenal; last season we played them away when they were struggling to get results, if we played them now we would get beat quite easily, not because we're worse, just that they are in much better form

You can't really judge much from statistics, though. For example, last year, we - it is fair to say - mullered you at your place but you still won. This year, it was closer, with it ending a draw.

So last year you took three points from us, this year you took one, but this year you played much better than you did last year (in my opinion, anyway).

You've also got to consider the other team as well though, for example Bolton were a hell of a lot better last season than this, Villa were worse last season etc.

Also the comparative runs that clubs were on when we play them, look at Arsenal; last season we played them away when they were struggling to get results, if we played them now we would get beat quite easily, not because we're worse, just that they are in much better form

And also our runs of 'form' too, exactly.

OK, it is now:

P10, W5, D2, L3, F17, A13, GD4 = 17pts

At this stage last season, we were:

P10, W2, D2, L6, F7, A13, GD-6 = 8pts

Or comparing the results so far this season to the results we got in those fixtures last season, we get:

P10, W3, D4, L3, F13, A11, GD2 = 13pts

OK, it is now:

Or comparing the results so far this season to the results we got in those fixtures last season, we get:

You can't really make a comparison as all teams have changed since then.

OK, it is now:

You can't really make a comparison as all teams have changed since then.

Exactly Mick.  blueyes.gif

The results of last season bear no relevance whatsoever on the performances and results of this season. It's a futile exercise imo. 

yes we are doing 'better' at home

away from home we are just as bad if not worse

you cant say derby and reading away are games we should lose? we should be on at least 23points

yes we are doing 'better' at home

away from home we are just as bad if not worse

you cant say derby and reading away are games we should lose? we should be on at least 23points

I remember saying on here after the euphoria of the Bolton opener that if performances where to be like the Bolton 2nd half we would find it difficult to get results on the road. Yet again I was lambasted but yet again I was 100% right.

Boro, Derby and Reading have seen us take 1 point. Now had that read 'Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea' I might accept a point on the fact they are TOP 4 sides and not bottom 6. Man City flying high (before yesterday!) took us to the cleaners especially in the 2nd half.

4 points from a possible 15 considering the level of opposition is a piss poor return. It totally undermines the very decent start we've made on home soil.

Sam has got it all wrong with his 'away days' attitude. Play for a point, get fuck all!

And who we got next on the road?

• 5 weeks later...

This thread was started on the back of some good results, just before we turned for the worse.

Recently, I've seen people raise points similar to this, so I thought I'd bump this thread to see what people now think.

Today, we are:

P13, W5, D3, L5, F19, A21, GD-2 = 18 points

After 13 games last season we were:

P13, W2, D4, L7, F8, A15, GD-7 = 10 points.

But comparing the 13 fixtures we've played this season to the results we got in those fixtures last season, which would create a league table of:

P13, W6, D4, L3, F18, A13, GD5 = 22 points

We have been doing worse in all departments apart from goalscoring, where we have scored a measly one goal more.

People think S***  I belive the Ashley take over prompt we can have an abramovisque effect to our club but yet we are comparing ourselves with our pathetic last year performance. The club is asking us to provide a good suggestion all I want to tell them is to have a footballing person in the bored aka Kenyon who knows how the football market works then pursue high standard manager and players. Thats what high standard is for me but if they want to be a second tier team they can stick with Sam and over time we can be like Everton not spectacular but just above average.

People think S***  I belive the Ashley take over prompt we can have an abramovisque effect to our club but yet we are comparing ourselves with our pathetic last year performance. The club is asking us to provide a good suggestion all I want to tell them is to have a footballing person in the bored aka Kenyon who knows how the football market works then pursue high standard manager and players. Thats what high standard is for me but if they want to be a second tier team they can stick with Sam and over time we can be like Everton not spectacular but just above average.

I actually think that if Ashley could get what he believes is a better manager, then he just would anyway, since Allardyce isn't his appointment. If he could attract a world class manager then he just would without even firing Sam first. At the moment I don't think we can because it is seen as an impossible job, mid table club, but you never know Ashley might have a surprise then it won't matter what we think anyway.

What you say about having a football person on the board is true though. I think Mort mentioned he was going to get "more management in" whatever that means, but I think there is another thread somewhere about telling them what you want to suggest. It is a good point.

Can you post the actual results up please James?

Not allowed to post fixtures up on the forum, so I'm afraid I cant.

What a jobsworth.