Gilberto Silva

Mowen

Someone we should definitely be looking at in January, imo. He was snubbed for the captaincy in favour of Fabiansky last night, and once Wenger's had enough he doesn't sell them for much. A fantastic central midfielder, who I though was every bit as good as Fabregas last season, and is a class above anything we've got to offer in the same position. Good passer of the ball and would hold the team together nicely.

Someone we should definitely be looking at in January, imo. He was snubbed for the captaincy in favour of Fabiansky last night, and once Wenger's had enough he doesn't sell them for much. A fantastic central midfielder, who I though was every bit as good as Fabregas last season, and is a class above anything we've got to offer in the same position. Good passer of the ball and would hold the team together nicely.

If Wenger doesn't rate them why bother he after all is the all seeing eye.

once Wenger's had enough he doesn't sell them for much.

Yeah, Anelka, Viera, Henry - they went for pennies.

Well, not quite pennies, but Vieira and Henry could have been sold earlier (even just one season) for approximately double what they went for. In any case I don't think he wanted to sell any of them in particular - they all wanted to go.

once Wenger's had enough he doesn't sell them for much.

Yeah, Anelka, Viera, Henry - they went for pennies.

Contrasted with the Ljungbergs, Pires' and Cygans. Gilberto is a great player but he's closer to their bracket than he is Henry et al, and i can't see him going for too much.

"Good replacement for Butt who is in the twilight of his career..."  True, but Gilberto at 31 is hardly a whippersnapper.

Wouldn't sniff at the right price though. Mint player.

Good player at Arsenal, but an awkward age in his career to be switching from Arsenal's free flowing football to Sam Allardyce football. We need to be buying players with their best years ahead of them for these positions which are not an urgent priority, or players significantly better than what we have. Butt, Barton, Emre, Geremi, Faye and Smith are not world class but is Gilberto so much better than all of them? We have loads of depth there, it's only worth going for someone who is a major step up or a youngster who will develop and I think he ticks neither box.

Absolutely. Would add so much to our team.

Consitancy, leadership, passing, a higher standard DM and someone who can take a pen.

Suspect there will be bigger fish in for him though.

Guest Sniffer

Sign many more players pushing or the wrong side of 30 and we'll be left with Dad's Army once FSA get's the boot in two years.

We'll be doomed I tell you, doomed.

Exactly what I said this morning.  Only difference is that I said it on a Spurs forum saying he is the type of player Spurs needs.  It will never happen but that doesn't make my assessment worng.  BTW, I think he would be excellent for Newcastle also, in fact, apart from the Big 4, he would improve every team in the Premiership.

Guest Sniffer

but still.....what?

Successful teams don't offer long term contracts to 30 year old players unless they are exceptional. I don't think any of FSA's buys can be classified as exceptional.

not very amazing player... but quite very decent

blueyes.gif

Don't really rate him.

But he plays for Arsenal so he must be brilliant by default. bluerazz.gif

or just most of us don't see he is quite decent because... he play at DM ... the position which none of brazilian could do.... the position which need a player that not too adventurous...

I wouldnt mind him here as a stop gap but i'd much rather have a bit of youth in there, i honestly think that having a proper holding midfielder could be the key to this team. But there isnt a club in the world who isnt looking for a proper defensive midfielder.