Gilberto Silva

Mowen

Guest johnnyappleseed

can't snap up someone that doesn't want to come. diarra said that he told chelsea that arsenal were the only club for him. and unless they were going to allow him to leave on a free next summer they had to do what he wanted.

can't snap up someone that doesn't want to come. diarra said that he told chelsea that arsenal were the only club for him. and unless they were going to allow him to leave on a free next summer they had to do what he wanted.

Which is why I said at the beginning of the summer before Arsenal made their interest known, we should have been straight in there when he was linked with a move to Spurs.

Would be a very good signing.

Can pass, can tackle, reads the game well, hits a good peno and is great in the air.. which would be a bonus for us as we don't score enough goals from set pieces.

Gilberto and Barton could work really well in the middle.

at the beginning of the summer chelsea weren't convinced that he wouldn't sign a new contract.

So you know for a fact that they definitely wouldn't have sold him to us if we had made a decent offer?

at the beginning of the summer chelsea weren't convinced that he wouldn't sign a new contract.

So you know for a fact that they definitely wouldn't have sold him to us if we had made a decent offer?

So you know for a fact we definitely didn't try and he didn't just say "no thanks i want to stay in London"?

Its all speculation.

So you know for a fact we definitely didn't try and he didn't just say "no thanks i want to stay in London"?

Its all speculation.

That's not quite the same thing is it.

Would be a very good signing.

Can pass, can tackle, reads the game well, hits a good peno and is great in the air.. which would be a bonus for us as we don't score enough goals from set pieces.

Gilberto and Barton could work really well in the middle.

They would hardly be the most creative duo, would work potentially well away from home but not at home.

Wenger isn't going to sell him though.

Guest johnnyappleseed

i can't know that, but i do know that at the beginning of the summer diarra wasn't a player chelsea knew they had to sell.

Which is why I said at the beginning of the summer before Arsenal made their interest known, we should have been straight in there when he was linked with a move to Spurs.

Diarra was aware of Arsenal's interest even if they hadn't made it public.  When Spurs made their enquiry, the agent said there were 5 teams wanting him but the only team he would be going to would be Arsenal.  Don't know which teams were interested, but it would be a fair bet to assume Newcastle were one.

once Wenger's had enough he doesn't sell them for much.

Yeah, Anelka, Viera, Henry - they went for pennies.

Contrasted with the Ljungbergs, Pires' and Cygans. Gilberto is a great player but he's closer to their bracket than he is Henry et al, and i can't see him going for too much.

"Good replacement for Butt who is in the twilight of his career..."   True, but Gilberto at 31 is hardly a whippersnapper.

Wouldn't sniff at the right price though. Mint player.

To be honest though, Cygan & Pires have been excellent for Villarreal this season.

Would be extremely suprised if we are his best option if he does leave. Hes not a great player per se, but hes the type of player top CL teams would want in their squad. I would put a bet on Spain being his next destination, ala Edu.

Class Class Class player most important player in the squad last season but i see him going to make way for flamini and the frustrated diarra

what a shame :(

How has Flamini suddenly jumped up in the pecking order?