Steve McClaren

Dave

False 9 is an actual thing though.

Explain... seriously!

http://thefalse9.com/2013/09/football-tactics-for-beginnersthe-false-9.html

Bull s***, number 9s the world over, i.e. main centre-forwards have often dropped deep. Cole wasn't a penalty box striker nor was Shearer or Sir Les.

Messi isn't a false number 9, he's a playmaker, an attacking forward. He's not a centre-forward or a striker or a midfielder or a winger.

Not really, it's been called that on the continent long before Messi arrived.... Cruyff was considered one at points his career as was Puskas for Hungary.

It's just that it wasn't termed that way in this country till Barcelona popularized it, but it's not some made up media term which only exists because someone popularized it.

Like Tiki-taka for example, which is a term made up in the media that doesn't actually exist.

Guest Howaythetoon

Cole wasn't a penalty box striker? For us? :lol: He f***ing lived there man, the Premier League charged the poor f***er rent.

Was he f***. He was always involved in play deeper back.

Howay man, false number 9? :lol:

Its bullshuttler

I think a side should be moulded with different players variable abilities. Since no player is the same, I think it's wrong to strangle a line up with made up ideals, which almost never match a players attribute.

For example, Makelele and Pirlo would both be classed as defensive midfielders in my mind but both are vastly different players. If you were constructing a team, you wouldn't necessarily pair them with the same sort of player, therefore the term "defensive midfielder", becomes somewhat redundant.

To simplify, a side is picked with players not positions.

Playmaker is the worst footballing term. Of course Pirlo is a playmaker, he's also a defensive midfielder. Beckham was a playmaker and also a winger.

Which is kind of the point. Every player is different.

Makelele = defensive midfielder

Pirlo = playmaker

IMO!

I'm with you on everything else btw :lol: but false 9 is an actual term which has been in football for decades, all these shuttler nonsense is made up crap by random internet blog merchants.

False 9 is an actual thing though.

Explain... seriously!

http://thefalse9.com/2013/09/football-tactics-for-beginnersthe-false-9.html

Bull shit, number 9s the world over, i.e. main centre-forwards have often dropped deep. Cole wasn't a penalty box striker nor was Shearer or Sir Les.

Messi isn't a false number 9, he's a playmaker, an attacking forward. He's not a centre-forward or a striker or a midfielder or a winger.

hidegkuti.jpg

So was Dennis Bergkamp a false9?

All I would say was that he was a striker who dropped deep. No need for labels.

Not in a sense because he didn't play upfront by himself, it's basically a striker who played in between a traditional 9 and a traditional 10 and performs the roles of both.

I was under the impression that they're not the focus and therefore drift back and try to drag defenders out of position so that any one of the other talented attacking players get chances to score. This is why it works really well for Barca/Spain etc and you don't see the likes of Allardyce/Pards playing with one

I think with a better partner you could get another season out of him.

Totally agree!

There is no point in debating Colo with Ron as it's blatantly obvious that the curly-haired one has bummed his pet dog or budgie!

More to do with the fact I don't like gutless error-prone cowards captaining my football club.

I thought shuttler was perfectly sensible word for a certain role? Someone that plays a bit like box to box midfielder, Italy NT used them frequently.

Cole wasn't a penalty box striker? For us? :lol: He f***ing lived there man, the Premier League charged the poor f***er rent.

Its bullshuttler

Watch like 90% of his goals man. Les lived in the box.

Its bullshuttler

Watch like 90% of his goals man. Les lived in the box.

Not sure how this ended up with Les Ferdinand, but I remember he scored a goal with his arse from closer to the half way line than the opposing goal vs Dmitri Kharine.

Man's a legend.

I wouldn't have Colo anywhere near the team. Of the senior CBs we've got I'd only start him ahead of Williamson.

I wouldn't quite give up on him under McClaren, a defensive coach whose game-plan is based on defence, possession and being compact and functional. I think Colo could perform quite well under McClaren and his methods. He's a busted flush though, he has been poor for 2-3 seasons now. I'd personally keep him, but would rather we replaced him in the starting 11.

Sounds like a bad idea for a Newcastle manager at SJP.

Guest firetotheworks

Its bullshuttler

Literally the biggest bullshit opinion I've ever heard about a player. Andy Cole wasn't a penalty box striker? You may as well say that Inzaghi was never offside, it's that ludicrous.