Value For Money Signings

Tooj

Todays game is very little different from the ones Robert played in. We have none of the flair that those players brought, or indeed the attributes they offered. Thats why I'd say Robert offered better value for money than Milner or Smith ever will. Despite his flaws. Its about winning as well as entertaining, and despite the frustration he brought about, he could be brilliant. Rather watch one game of that than 10 of hard work.

Agree completely.  The things Robert was good at are far more important than the things Smith & Milner are praised for.

Bit better to watch as well. Of course, we would just get pissed off with Robert and the reason I say 2 seasons is that he wasnt as creative in the 3rd (despite what the stats may say) or as easy on the eye. Similar to Ginola, his time was up. Not that that should decry from his value to the team in 2 very exciting seasons.

On his day Robert was unplayable. Despite their better attitude and work ethic, neither Milner nor Smith will ever be unplayable.

Money well spent and it's a shame we didn't claw more back when Souness peddled him for next to nowt.

That whole post could also be talking about Bellamy.

the problem with some of our most "controversial" players was how many games we had to keep the faith and keep playing them before we got that has to start type performance. Where as I think mostly with smith and milner they are the type of players you at least know what you are going to get from them. Still my point stands that we need to have a big enough squad to have players of both types or we need to spend big again and bring players in that show both qualities are alot more rounder than the two extremes

On his day Robert was unplayable. Despite their better attitude and work ethic, neither Milner nor Smith will ever be unplayable.

Money well spent and it's a shame we didn't claw more back when Souness peddled him for next to nowt.

Mentioned that earlier. Still think his ego would have tripped his career over if he had stayed here. Like a good few players he thought he was bigger than the club. Ginola, Robert, Bellamy etc all shone for a relatively short period and its better they are gone for a variety of reasons. Bit like Wenger hoying Henry and (particularly) Petit when they got a bit too big for their boots or their face didnt fit. Good management - not that the manner in which Souness did it was anything like similar. Still doesn't mean we should settle for a bunch of grafters though. It is patently possible to replace talent with talent as Wenger has proved.

Nb: David Kelly and Gavin Peacock were tremendous value for maoney also.

the problem with some of our most "controversial" players was how many games we had to keep the faith and keep playing them before we got that has to start type performance. Where as I think mostly with smith and milner they are the type of players you at least know what you are going to get from them. Still my point stands that we need to have a big enough squad to have players of both types or we need to spend big again and bring players in that show both qualities are alot more rounder than the two extremes

I think the bit in bold is particularly unfair on Bellamy

Mentioned that earlier. Still think his ego would have tripped his career over if he had stayed here. Like a good few players he thought he was bigger than the club. Ginola, Robert, Bellamy etc all shone for a relatively short period and its better they are gone for a variety of reasons. Bit like Wenger hoying Henry and (particularly) Petit when they got a bit too big for their boots or their face didnt fit. Good management - not that the manner in which Souness did it was anything like similar. Still doesn't mean we should settle for a bunch of grafters though. It is patently possible to replace talent with talent as Wenger has proved.

All these multi-million pound signings and I'd still have Kelly in my top 3 Newcastle players

All these multi-million pound signings and I'd still have Kelly in my top 3 Newcastle players

Only mackem I've seen applauded onto the pitch!

I really did like bellamy as a player when he was here and his goal for us against Feyenoord was just excellent however many times I remember watching Bellamy and again this wasn't his whole game but he had electtric pace but alot of his chances he never put them away for us and seen as he was brought in as a striker its a pritty fundamental part of the job.

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/75/bernard_olivier_nufc_profile_2004.jpg

http://img.skysports.com/07/09/218x298/N_Zogbia_Charles_565446.jpg

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1922097.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6710D7FD37D6C2CDF9930FDCFC4C15FBB Anyone?

Two or three there that spring to mind. Was a bit little to remember Pearce's time overly well here - but i remember him being a 'favourite' of mine when i was little'un - mainly because he supplied the cross for the first goal i ever saw at St James' Park. :D

I really did like bellamy as a player when he was here and his goal for us against Feyenoord was just excellent however many times I remember watching Bellamy and again this wasn't his whole game but he had electtric pace but alot of his chances he never put them away for us and seen as he was brought in as a striker its a pritty fundamental part of the job.

Bellamy was a far better finisher after the first season than you're giving him credit for.

We got what we paid for with Bellamy imo.

£6m, fairly pricey (then)... in proportion to... very dangerous player and very good for us for a couple of seasons, very much a crock, scored infrequently

yorkie I will give you bernard I guess it all feels a little strange though when he refused to sign a new deal and then when he got brought back into the fold by roeder we all saw ( I use that work loosely) the reason why he had been in limbo for 3-4 seasons.

Bellamy was a far better finisher after the first season than you're giving him credit for.

agree, he was very dodgy in front of goal when he came here, but he became a lot more polished and clinical as he matured (as a player that is).

£6m, fairly pricey (then)... in proportion to... very dangerous player and very good for us for a couple of seasons, very much a crock, scored infrequently

From Wiki

On 31 January 2005 (transfer deadline day) Bellamy was sent on loan to Celtic of the Scottish Premier League for the remainder of the season. He shunned a move to Birmingham City, texting Souness and chairman Freddy Shepherd 'I am Craig Bellamy and I don't sign for shit football clubs.'

One day I swear we'll look back at his time here and smile about it

he never broke into double figures from 2001-2004 and finally managed it when he was loaned out to celtic with 7 for us and 7 for them which doesn't exactly enspire confidence from one of your main scoring outlets. As Yorkie said for what we paid for him and how he kept us in the champs league he was value for money to a point.

Guest loves the toon

kevin keegan

£100,000 what a hero.

played a captains role and got the best out of average players on the pitch

we played some cracking stuff in that 83-84  promotion season

keegan waddle and beardsley scored some superb goals in that season.

6m wasnt particularly pricey then at all. Laurent Roberts fee sort of puts paid to that argument. As do the fees for Veron and Ferdinand (2000 and 2002 version). Bellamy paid back way more than we paid for him. Despite the fact I can't abide the little cock for his subsequent misdemeanours.

he never broke into double figures from 2001-2004 and finally managed it when he was loaned out to celtic with 7 for us and 7 for them which doesn't exactly enspire confidence from one of your main scoring outlets. As Yorkie said for what we paid for him and how he kept us in the champs league he was value for money to a point.

A ratio nearing 1 in 3 is pretty good for a second striker, he offered lots more than his goals, and helped Shearer's career no end.

6m wasnt particularly pricey then at all. Laurent Roberts fee sort of puts paid to that argument. As do the fees for Veron and Ferdinand (2000 and 2002 version). Bellamy paid back way more than we paid for him. Despite the fact I can't abide the little cock for his subsequent misdemeanours.

You paid £6m for a good-to-very good player in 2001.

You pay £6m for Alan Smith, Mido and Scott Parker these days.

And would you say Bellamy was better in 2001, than Darren Bent is today? I think i probably would.

That's the point i'm making... i'd say we got what we paid for.

yorkie I will give you bernard

Mint, what's the P + P? :cheesy:

course

A ratio nearing 1 in 3 is pretty good for a second striker, he offered lots more than his goals, and helped Shearer's career no end.

granted he did play second fiddle to alan alot of the time and it did work well as a partnership most of the time shearer was loosing yards by the bucket loads and bellamy offered that pace back to the team to allow shearer to be a predator. Like i said I did like Bellamy at least on the field but certainly didn't feel that sad to see him leave either although its a shame he didnt manage to muscel souey out instead.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1638267.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A631979AF8F9EAFABD9930FDCFC4C15FBB

Better than Milner tbh.

Like comparing Smith and Shearer tbh Gillespie, during his time here and even before it at Man Utd was on a different level altogether to Milner. His crossing was way better and he had that burst of acceleration and directness that complimented the others in midfield perfectly.

We lost out on the best 2 years of Bellamy's career due to bad decisions.

Scored regularly for Blackburn and got many assists as well as helping the team in many ways.

He's scored more PL goals in that 1 season for Blackburn than Owen has in 2 1/2 years.

A great player for us. Made teams worry about US... stretched teams.. worked very hard and just when he looked like he could step up another level of performances we got rid for the same fee... smh

You paid £6m for a good-to-very good player in 2001.

You pay £6m for Alan Smith, Mido and Scott Parker these days.

And would you say Bellamy was better in 2001, than Darren Bent is today? I think i probably would.

That's the point i'm making... i'd say we got what we paid for.

I wouldnt. Prices these days are different but 6m wasnt particularly pricey tbh. Darren Bent for 16m or Veron for 30m? Both extreme examples. You pay 11m for Rebrov in 2000 and you'll see the point i'm making. If you think we got  a 6m player for 6m then youre wrong.