Value For Money Signings

Tooj

Gillespie was the bigger asset, i'd agree, but his only thing he had one up on Milner was his pace. Milner can cross just as well and has a better eye for goal.

( http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3167882.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=41CAE2DF95708CE2AF517E3696575B5EA55A1E4F32AD3138 )

We got what we paid for with Bellamy imo.

£6m, fairly pricey (then)... in proportion to... very dangerous player and very good for us for a couple of seasons, very much a crock, scored infrequently

6m wasnt particularly pricey then at all. Laurent Roberts fee sort of puts paid to that argument. As do the fees for Veron and Ferdinand (2000 and 2002 version). Bellamy paid back way more than we paid for him. Despite the fact I can't abide the little cock for his subsequent misdemeanours.

You paid £6m for a good-to-very good player in 2001.

You pay £6m for Alan Smith, Mido and Scott Parker these days.

And would you say Bellamy was better in 2001, than Darren Bent is today? I think i probably would.

That's the point i'm making... i'd say we got what we paid for.

The only reason we didn't get full value for Craig Bellamy when he left was solely down to Souness and Shepherd making his position untenable. Other clubs knew he was a PNG and would be shifted asap. They offered rock bottom knowing it would be accepted. A fucking travesty imo. 

Gillespie was the bigger asset, i'd agree, but his only thing he had one up on Milner was his pace. Milner can cross just as well and has a better eye for goal.

( http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3167882.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=41CAE2DF95708CE2AF517E3696575B5EA55A1E4F32AD3138 )

Milner CANNOT cross a ball anywhere near as well as Gillespie could. That pace is 'only thing'? That trivialises something so succinctly.

Agree completely.  And in terms of wasting talent, I'd put Gillespie in the same bracket as Dyer, or maybe not even that good

how about a mention for arron hughes was no world beater but he was a cheap signing that did the job you told him to without any fuss and when he was called up certainly did a descent job.

Very, very true  :lol: Sorry!

Milner CANNOT cross a ball anywhere near as well as Gillespie could. That pace is 'only thing'? That trivialises something so succinctly.

In your opinion. :razz:

But certain instances prove that - really - he can. With both feet n'all, which was certainly something Gillespie was hardly famed for.

... and i'm sort of on your side about Milner. Just not as extreme - call me bigheaded but i think my opinion's more balanced than your's! He's been shite this season, but he was very good last season and i most definitely think that he has got good ability.

how about a mention for arron hughes was no world beater but he was a cheap signing that did the job you told him to without any fuss and when he was called up certainly did a descent job.

Very, very true  :lol: Sorry!

he was never going to be our answer to ashley cole but saying that I would assume he cost us peanuts and would play across the back anywhere you wanted him to without a problem and was never a pre madonna by kicking up a fuss if he spent time on the bench either.

Agree completely.  And in terms of wasting talent, I'd put Gillespie in the same bracket as Dyer, or maybe not even that good

Nah, gets on my tits when people attempt to trivialise the main facet of a player and no matter how you dress it up, Gillespie used that pace extremely effectively for us - waych us pre xmas 1995 and then in the Man City cup game for evidence of that shortly after he arrived. Milner is absolutely nowhere near the level of talent that either player you mention displayed for us. Both did it for far longer periods than Milner has managed despite not having got anywhere near their level. Milners eye for goal? 5 in 75! Hardly eye-catching is it?

£6m, fairly pricey (then)... in proportion to... very dangerous player and very good for us for a couple of seasons, very much a crock, scored infrequently

6m wasnt particularly pricey then at all. Laurent Roberts fee sort of puts paid to that argument. As do the fees for Veron and Ferdinand (2000 and 2002 version). Bellamy paid back way more than we paid for him. Despite the fact I can't abide the little cock for his subsequent misdemeanours.

And would you say Bellamy was better in 2001, than Darren Bent is today? I think i probably would.

I wouldnt. Prices these days are different but 6m wasnt particularly pricey tbh. Darren Bent for 16m or Veron for 30m? Both extreme examples. You pay 11m for Rebrov in 2000 and you'll see the point i'm making. If you think we got  a 6m player for 6m then youre wrong.

£7m bought you Carl Cort 2 years earlier.

£10m would get you Chris Sutton.

In your opinion. :razz:

But certain instances prove that - really - he can. With both feet n'all, which was certainly something Gillespie was hardly famed for.

... and i'm sort of on your side about Milner. Just not as extreme - call me bigheaded but i think my opinion's more balanced than your's! He's been s**** this season, but he was very good last season and i most definitely think that he has got good ability.

More balanced? Probably more ignorant. You dont have to watch the fucker! He's below average pace. Cant cross, has been piss poor all season and scores one goal in ever 15 games. If you think his performances were very good last season then thank fuck you didnt see Chrissy Waddle in 1984.85 or Paul Gascoigne in 1997. There wouldnt be enough superlatives. Good ability? Ian Bogie had that in far greater quantities than Milner and he was still shite.

I wouldnt. Prices these days are different but 6m wasnt particularly pricey tbh. Darren Bent for 16m or Veron for 30m? Both extreme examples. You pay 11m for Rebrov in 2000 and you'll see the point i'm making. If you think we got  a 6m player for 6m then youre wrong.

£7m bought you Carl Cort 2 years earlier.

£10m would get you Chris Sutton.

Not to worry, the kids only interested in his 'balanced ' opinion!  :lol:

Call me touchy but i honestly can't be arsed having a debate with you, Pie. If you're just gonna slander everyone's opinion every time they share a different view to your own, i can't be bothered; what's daft is that i actually said i agreed with you to some extent.

Btw, what i meant by balanced, is that you only seem to pick out his flaws. He can do no right in your eyes - i've slated him plenty this season but he is a decent player and the ability is certainly there, it's there to see.

Call me touchy but i honestly can't be arsed having a debate with you, Pie. If you're just gonna slander everyone's opinion every time they share a different view to your own, i can't be bothered; what's daft is that i actually said i agreed with you to some extent.

Touchy?  :lol: Not to worry, make sure you dont trip over your ego on the way to bed as it deflates.

Btw, what i meant by balanced, is that you only seem to pick out his flaws. He can do no right in your eyes - i've slated him plenty this season but he is a decent player and the ability is certainly there, it's there to see.

As a first teamer at championship level, I totally agree. At premiership level? Debatable at best. He can do no right in my eyes as that isnt the level I want to be watching. Done that for well over a decade. No intention of watching also rans for as long as I need to. As a squad player he is fine at present. If we progress as I hope (and doubt) we will then he simply isnt required. To compare him to Gillespie is similar to comparing N'Zogbia to Ginola during their spells here. Neither would be a fair comparison. Or even approaching one.

I'm going to shush before Midds says "Now now" or something. ;)

Killjoys! I'll mention one more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/images/2006/04/25/paul_goddard_gallery_460x300.jpg

also want to say Faustino Asprilla due to some incredible performances but can't remember his fee so maybe not

Oh no he didn't.

You'll struggle to find many better individual performances than Tinos against West Ham in 96 like. Not my favourite player but credit where its due.

No I meant oh no he didn't, as in oh no he didn't nominate him, as Tino's performances were few and far between for my liking.

Was that the 4-0 win when he scored that lovely chip over Les Sealey? :)

3-0 and he tore them to bits. Lovely pass for Alberts goal too. You're right that he was erratic but by fuck could he play when he fancied it. Shame he did it so infrequently.

agree. I don't really have any time for inconsistent showboaters like him. If you want to win things you need to be consistent. I have never understood why Keegan bought him.

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

7 goals last year wasn't it?

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

sigh.

So, if Allardyce has spent the money from Dyer on Smith, and there is no more left to buy a proper midfield player, who exactly do you blame for the situation ?

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

Dyer cost a decent fee, plus millions in wages to mostly be injured and score a few goals.

I would already see N'Zogbia as a better value buy, seen as he has not cost us anywhere near as much as Dyer, and don't see how he ever will.

didnt we only end up paying a 200-300k for zoggy as compensation to la harve?

About right. He'll be fine. Could be decent if he keeps progressing.  Go on then, answer it man, Robert or the 'hard working' Milner or Smith? Not looking at their positions, just what they contributed.

I'd rather have Robert than Milner. In fact, I'd rather have the Keith Gillespie that we had at Newcastle in 1995-96 too.

Dyer....

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

7 goals last year wasn't it?

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

sigh.

So, if Allardyce has spent the money from Dyer on Smith, and there is no more left to buy a proper midfield player, who exactly do you blame for the situation ?

Allardyce, for not managing his budget properly.