Value For Money Signings

Tooj

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

7 goals last year wasn't it?

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

sigh.

So, if Allardyce has spent the money from Dyer on Smith, and there is no more left to buy a proper midfield player, who exactly do you blame for the situation ?

Allardyce, for not managing his budget properly.

though that could be irrelevant if allardyce considered Smith his replacement for Dyer. and that seems to be the case since he said that Dyer's replacement would be signing the next day and it turned out to be smith that signed.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1638267.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A631979AF8F9EAFABD9930FDCFC4C15FBB

Better than Milner tbh.

for once, I agree with you there  :lol:

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

sigh.

So, if Allardyce has spent the money from Dyer on Smith, and there is no more left to buy a proper midfield player, who exactly do you blame for the situation ?

though that could be irrelevant if allardyce considered Smith his replacement for Dyer. and that seems to be the case since he said that Dyer's replacement would be signing the next day and it turned out to be smith that signed.

There is that too, good point.

Gillespie was the bigger asset, i'd agree, but his only thing he had one up on Milner was his pace. Milner can cross just as well and has a better eye for goal.

Agree completely.  And in terms of wasting talent, I'd put Gillespie in the same bracket as Dyer, or maybe not even that good

Nah, gets on my tits when people attempt to trivialise the main facet of a player and no matter how you dress it up, Gillespie used that pace extremely effectively for us - waych us pre xmas 1995 and then in the Man City cup game for evidence of that shortly after he arrived. Milner is absolutely nowhere near the level of talent that either player you mention displayed for us. Both did it for far longer periods than Milner has managed despite not having got anywhere near their level. Milners eye for goal? 5 in 75! Hardly eye-catching is it?

Gillespie played with Rob Lee and Beardsley, two magnificent players who played him inside the full back and knew how to get the best out of him. But that is besides the point, which is that Gillespie was a far better player than Milner in that he had the attributes to succeed for the position he played. He also played well as a stop gap central striker too when Shearer was injured and we had nobody else, but sadly there weren't many people around who appreciated that at the time.

Dyer....

sigh.

Well, I also think that having let 2 midfield players go on deadline day, a board with real ambition would have recognised the need to find some more money. Which if spent well pays itself back in the long run.

I find it rather odd that people are defending this balancing the books crap. This is football. You must speculate. The top clubs show you this. If you want to challenge them, you must act like they do. If you don't, they and not you will get the best footballers.

I also think that Dyer was finished at Newcastle, having wasted his talent and contributed nothing much. A fact you seem unable to accept.

Dyer....

sigh.

Well, I also think that having let 2 midfield players go on deadline day, a board with real ambition would have recognised the need to find some more money. Which if spent well pays itself back in the long run.

I find it rather odd that people are defending this balancing the books crap. This is football. You must speculate. The top clubs show you this. If you want to challenge them, you must act like they do. If you don't, they and not you will get the best footballers.

I also think that Dyer was finished at Newcastle, having wasted his talent and contributed nothing much. A fact you seem unable to accept.

I'm not sure who is defending the board balancing the books in this thread, nice try at getting the thread into a debate about it though. O0

Dyer....

sigh.

I'm not sure who is defending the board balancing the books in this thread, nice try at getting the thread into a debate about it though. O0

its not attempting anything. I knew you wouldn't go into the possible REAL reason as to why Allardyce didn't replace 2 midfield players with at leat one other proper midfield player.

And we all know the reason why don't we. My comment is a view on the situation, it isn't my fault that people like you choose to allow personalities to deflect yourself from taking a correct view of the situation.

To be fair, you won't be the only one either.

Although, a few years of running the club like a business and seeing the top players go elsewhere to clubs that take risks, may well change your tune.

So what would you say the reason was we didn't replace Boumsong the previous summer? Or that we would have had to sell Milner to buy Viduka?

Unambitious board not backing the manager to sign players we need or Roeder not managing his budget properly when signing Duff?

Guest optimistic nit

Dyer....

sigh.

i don't think anyone at the club really wanted to see solano leave. i also think it was a good decision to sell dyer. signing smith was a mistake, although a forgivable one imo.

i'd say overall the best value player who has been signed in the premier league era is Rob Lee, followed by Shay Given.

Gillespie was the bigger asset, i'd agree, but his only thing he had one up on Milner was his pace. Milner can cross just as well and has a better eye for goal.

( http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3167882.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=41CAE2DF95708CE2AF517E3696575B5EA55A1E4F32AD3138 )

When are going to understand that Milner is just a squad player ? Gillespie wasn't a squad player, he had pace, eye for goal and very good cross...Milner is nowhere near good enough...

( http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3167882.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=41CAE2DF95708CE2AF517E3696575B5EA55A1E4F32AD3138 )

;D

So what would you say the reason was we didn't replace Boumsong the previous summer? Or that we would have had to sell Milner to buy Viduka?

Unambitious board not backing the manager to sign players we need or Roeder not managing his budget properly when signing Duff?

the old board had absolutely nothing to prove re showing ambition for the club, they had proved it many times over.

If you can't see that, you're in for one hell of a shock when an unambitious one takes up residence at SJP

the old board had absolutely nothing to prove re showing ambition for the club, they had proved it many times over.

If you can't see that, you're in for one hell of a shock when an unambitious one takes up residence at SJP

So why do you think we didn't replace Boumsong and would have had to sell Milner first to sign a striker that we needed?

Because we were skint. If anything that was down to the board showing too much ambition at times.

a board with real ambition would have recognised the need to find some more money. Which if spent well pays itself back in the long run.

I find it rather odd that people are defending this balancing the books crap. This is football. You must speculate. The top clubs show you this. If you want to challenge them, you must act like they do. If you don't, they and not you will get the best footballers. [/NE5]

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=46659.msg1064206#msg1064206

Guest jimmy1982

The old board showed absolutely loads of ambition, right from the moment SJH seized control. In fact I'd say it was a level of ambition that was pretty much unparralleled in British football until Ambramovich bought Chelsea.

Problem was they didn't neccessarily go about achieving the ambition in the best way sometimes. There are a canny few things I'd level against the Sheperds and Halls but lack of ambition isn't one of them.

The old board showed absolutely loads of ambition, right from the moment SJH seized control. In fact I'd say it was a level of ambition that was pretty much unparralleled in British football until Ambramovich bought Chelsea.

Problem was they didn't neccessarily go about achieving the ambition in the best way sometimes. There are a canny few things I'd level against the Sheperds and Halls but lack of ambition isn't one of them.

I think you're missing the point, NE5 is questioning the ambition of Mike Ashley because he only gave Allardyce £11 million to spend net, ignoring the £100 million he wiped off the debt which a fair chunk of was borrowed to back Souness.

Ambition isn't always a good thing when you can't afford it, just ask Peter Ridsdale.

As for not signing a replacement for Boumsong or having to sell Milner to sign a striker, I said at the time Roeder didn't manage his budget properly when signing Duff which is exactly what I've said regarding the signing of Smith when a proper replacement for Dyer was needed.

Because we were skint. If anything that was down to the board showing too much ambition at times.

that is true. As the question is abuot showing ambition, that is correct. Better try than not try, the fact that we tried is the reason we were relatively successful compared to the vast majority of our rivals, and overtook them while trying to win things.

I think you're missing the point, NE5 is questioning the ambition of Mike Ashley because he only gave Allardyce £11 million to spend net, ignoring the £100 million he wiped off the debt which a fair chunk of was borrowed to back Souness.

Ambition isn't always a good thing when you can't afford it, just ask Peter Ridsdale.

As for not signing a replacement for Boumsong or having to sell Milner to sign a striker, I said at the time Roeder didn't manage his budget properly when signing Duff which is exactly what I've said regarding the signing of Smith when a proper replacement for Dyer was needed.

I'm not ignoring anything. I don't care about Ashley paying off the clubs debt, it went towards the cost of buying the club. If the club had been debt free, the value of the purchase of the club would have been massively more, so it cancels it out. How much is the club worth now it is debt free ? He'll get his money back if he sells it on, don't you worry about that.

He's starting from scratch. If the board doesn't show ambition, it is no better than the old board and may not match it either. Why don't you and others stop looking at personalities - we know you don't like Shepherd and are allowing this to taint your judgement, and likewise have taken in the new boards PR - but at the end of the day, they have proved nothing yet. This is the truth. I realise it may not go down well with some of those who think the old board did nothing right and the new board can't do anything wrong, but time will tell, and so far, this is the truth.

Ridsdale made mistakes, but he had the ambition and for that he kicked the arse out of wankers like our ex directors before the Halls and Shepherd, and other tossers like Bob Murray and quite a lot of other chairmen of other clubs too. A few years of real tossers running the club ie as in the vast majority of clubs we overtook while we were owned by the Halls and Shepherd - and you would sharp change your tune.

It's sad that this thread has developed like this. If people accepted factual information, it wouldn't happen.

Philippe Albert.

Pavel Srníček.

aye. Get back on track. I think Rob Lee as I said earlier. But there has been some fantastic bargain players signed by this club over the years.

What I like most of all, is when these ex players cite Newcastle as the team they now support etc, and retain their affection for the city and the supporters.