Who replaces Butt this Saturday?

KaKa

This is going to be a tricky call for Sam this weekend and it should be interesting to see what he goes with.

With Kenwyne Jones playing upfront for Sunderland we absolutely have to have Faye in defence to challenge Jones in the air, so Faye in my opinion is not an option to step into the defensive midfield slot.

I would like to see Rozehnal in this role but I'm not sure if Sam would play him there in such an important gamw which is sure to have a fiery atmosphere, especially as he hasn't played this position for us yet.

I think we might see a 4-3-3/4-5-1 to compensate for Butt's abscence. Geremi, Barton and Smith in midfield perhaps?

Who do you think Sam will go for and who should he go for?

If I was choosing not sure i'd play Barton unless he's alot more fit than he was against Portsmouth. He looked yards off the pace and needed plenty of reserve football before he was playing 90 minutes of first team each week. If we must have a defensive midfield style player in the middle then we could do a lot worse than Faye. Partner him with Emre and we'd have a decent attacking option alongside him as well.

If it's who will he play it depends on whether Viduka is fit. If he's not then Smith will be up front again and it will be barton and Geremi in the middle. If Viduka is fit however it'll be Smith and Geremi or Barton though he might stick Geremi on the right.

If I was choosing not sure i'd play Barton unless he's alot more fit than he was against Portsmouth. He looked yards off the pace and needed plenty of reserve football before he was playing 90 minutes of first team each week. If we must have a defensive midfield style player in the middle then we could do a lot worse than Faye. Partner him with Emre and we'd have a decent attacking option alongside him as well.

Was just saying this to a guy in work, I agree.

Guest icemanblue

This is going to be a tricky call for Sam this weekend and it should be interesting to see what he goes with.

With Kenwyne Jones playing upfront for Sunderland we absolutely have to have Faye in defence to challenge Jones in the air, so Faye in my opinion is not an option to step into the defensive midfield slot.

I would like to see Rozehnal in this role but I'm not sure if Sam would play him there in such an important gamw which is sure to have a fiery atmosphere, especially as he hasn't played this position for us yet.

I think we might see a 4-3-3/4-5-1 to compensate for Butt's abscence. Geremi, Barton and Butt in midfield perhaps?

Hmmmm.

I think we might see a 4-3-3/4-5-1 to compensate for Butt's abscence. Geremi, Barton and Butt in midfield perhaps?

Hmmmm.

Oops meant Smith there!

Sorted now. Good spot.

Guest eyeball_tickler

alan al-an smiiith

for me. i dont like him much but this is his kind of match.

The kind of match where he will get himself sent off, I would not risk it..

this match wont involve much flair and arsenal-like passing. i'd rather have smith's will to win and determination over geremi's neat footwork and short range passing skills just for this one game.

Guest Brazilianbob

It's back to basics for Sam so that means 433 or 451.

I suspect it will be 451, with Viduka up front on his own with Zoggy, Emre, Barton Geremi and Milner across the middle.  Geremi as defensive mid with Barton and Emre  in front and zoggy and milner tucking inside beside them to clog up the midfield and allow Barton to get forward occasionally in support of the Vid.  A draw or defeat is all I can see for us if he chooses this formation/tactics!

It's back to basics for Sam so that means 433 or 451.

I suspect it will be 451, with Viduka up front on his own with Zoggy, Emre, Barton Geremi and Milner across the middle.  Geremi as defensive mid with Barton and Emre  in front and zoggy and milner tucking inside beside them to clog up the midfield and allow Barton to get forward occasionally in support of the Vid.  A draw or defeat is all I can see for us if he chooses this formation/tactics!

It would have to be 4-3-3 then cause there is not a hope in hell that Sam would drop Owen.

Harper

Taylor      Faye      Rozehnal    Enrique

Geremi

Barton

Milner                                      N'Zogbia

Smith/Viduka

Owen/Martins

I reckon he might leave Barton on the bench and replace his with Emre.

Smith to start up front with Owen, with Viduka to come on after about 60 minutes if fit

......................................Harper

Beye....................Faye...............Rozenhal.....................Enrique

Milner..................Geremi...........Emre....................N'Zogbia

..................................Owen....Smith

I'd like to see Emre play, I think he really does care about the club and I think he'll be up for the game.

Currently as things stand I think he's got more to offer than a less than match fit Barton (even though Barton will play).

Ideally for me the midfield will look like Zog - Emre - Geremi - Milner although I can see Sam playing Barton instead of Emre.

Hopefully Faye will go in for Butt

Rozehnal at the back with Taylor, drop cacapa and bring back beye

Taylor has to play, he's a local lad so he knows more than anyone in the team what this game means.

He mightn't be the best player but committment can just just as long a way as skill in these types of games.

Harper

Beye  Faye  Rozehnal  Enrique

Milner  Geremi  Emre  N'Zogbia

Viduka  Martins

Subs: Forster, Caçapa, Smith, Barton, Owen

Barton's not fit. Bring him on late on. It's a tough decision putting Emre in given his shite-ness away from home, but if we play to his strengths and let him penetrate, he could do well. I know - we've said that just about every time he's been in the team. We need Geremi back in there asap imo. We need someone who can actually keep the ball.

Thing is with that midfield, it's bread and butter. One is programmed to sit and one is programmed to push forward - which ever cm combo we've played this season we've let them alternate and i just don't think it works.