Derby replace Billy Davies with Paul Jewell.

Nate

Davies parts company with Derby

Derby manager Billy Davies has left the Premier League strugglers following talks with chairman Adam Pearson.

The club are two points adrift at the foot of the Premier League following a 2-0 defeat by Chelsea on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/7112846.stm

Seems harsh considering how much he over-achieved last season.

Quite right after he wasted all that money they gave him to spend

I wasn't aware all the top players were holding out for a move to Derby.

oh dear  :blush:

Seem to be mixed feelings on Derby message board, mainly due to the fact they feel he has been trying to get the boot for the past few weeks due to disagreements with the board.

Some have seriously said they wanted Souness in aswell :lol:

Idiots.

No spending = certain relegation.

New manager = certain spending & relegation.

They should of stuck with him, saved their cash up, get a good Championship squad built next summer on the cheap, and try again just like Watford have and are doing with Boothrooyd.

If i were an under achieving Championship club i'd be sacking my manager and bringing him in right away. Good solid man manager, who's basically got no chance with the squad he's got in the Prem.

Idiots.

They should of stuck with him, saved their cash up, get a good Championship squad built next summer on the cheap, and try again just like Watford have and are doing with Boothrooyd.

I think thats exactly what they wanted to do. However Davies is too stubborn and believed that if they invested heavily in january he could keep them up. After the game the other day I think he said that if he got the money theyve earnt from this season and brought in 6 (....) new players they'll be alright. The board rightly thought he was mental and they've fallen out. Justifiable IMO.

Idiots.

I think thats exactly what they wanted to do. However Davies is too stubborn and believed that if they invested heavily in january he could keep them up. After the game the other day I think he said that if he got the money theyve earnt from this season and brought in 6 (....) new players they'll be alright. The board rightly thought he was mental and they've fallen out. Justifiable IMO.

But a manager is always going to cry for more money, especially when receiving none, and are getting trounced each week. Problem is, is that the Derby squad isn't even good enough to be a Championship challenger next season, they are going to have to invest regardless. As long as the spending isn't stupid, then they could of gone down with a better prepared squad for next season. As it stands, to bring in a decent manager they are going to have to flash the cash anyway, that with the fact its just cost them £3m to sack Davies has to be the most stupid move of the season imo.

Idiots.

But a manager is always going to cry for more money, especially when receiving none, and are getting trounced each week. Problem is, is that the Derby squad isn't even good enough to be a Championship challenger next season, they are going to have to invest regardless. As long as the spending isn't stupid, then they could of gone down with a better prepared squad for next season. As it stands, to bring in a decent manager they are going to have to flash the cash anyway, that with the fact its just cost them £3m to sack Davies has to be the most stupid move of the season imo.

It does across that way. So I can't believe that they have actively decided to sack him, no-one is that mental. There must have been a complete breakdown in relations between Davies and the board that left them with no choice but to sack him. And I believe that the transfer policy (Go mental to stay up vs sensible strengthing for next seasons promotion charge) is the root of it.

Guest The Libertine

Didn't Steve McClaren make his name as a coach with Derby?

About his level i reckon...

he's the early favourite for the job. that would be good, england boss to a division 1 manager in 6 months.

What did they think would happen, he would have had a better chance of finding an Astin Martin for £20, you want to do  wel lin the Prem you must spend money.

I think McClaren will end up back at Boro and silly little Southgate will stay on to be his no.2.