McLeish leaves Scotland for Birmingham

Nate

McLeish to be new Birmingham boss

Alex McLeish has resigned as Scotland manager and BBC Sport understands he will take over as Birmingham boss.

The Blues have called a news conference for Wednesday, where they are expected to unveil the 48-year-old McLeish.

Appointed in January 2007 with a deal running until 2010, McLeish came close to taking Scotland to Euro 2008.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We weren't going to allow him to speak to the club."

Blues, who received £3m when Steve Bruce left for Wigan, are believed to have agreed a compensation package with the SFA.

"Alex had a contract for another two years until 2010 and we were willing to give him another two years with a much better financiaol deal," said Smith.

But, despite the prospect of an improved deal for McLeish, the lure of the English top-flight has proved too great for the former Rangers, Hibernian and Motherwell boss.

Smith added: "He has been a terrific manager for Scotland and a great asset to the association.

"He's also been working in other aspects within the SFA, and he's a big loss."

A hint that Blues had got their man came when caretaker assistant Eric Black quit on Tuesday to join Bruce at Wigan.

"I understand that McLeish agreed to join Birmingham soon after getting off the plane from South Africa this morning where he had been representing Scotland at the World Cup draw," said BBC 5 Live sports reporter Pat Murphy.

"Compensation isn't a problem. The SFA will receive around £1m for releasing McLeish.

"McLeish has long hankered after managing a club in the Premier League and he was interviewed for the West Brom job three years ago.

"His playing credentials as a lion-hearted defender, capped 77 times by Scotland, and his clutch of trophies picked up as Rangers manager will guarantee him respect in the Birmingham dressing room."

The SFA will now hold a meeting on Wednesday to discuss who will succeed McLeish, who is likely to enjoy a huge salary hike by moving to the Premier League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

I can't see the attraction of a relegation battle, albeit in the Premier League, when you have a realistic chance of leading your country into the World Cup finals.

Souness is amongst the favourites to replace him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I can't see the attraction of a relegation battle, albeit in the Premier League, when you have a realistic chance of leading your country into the World Cup finals.

Souness is amongst the favourites to replace him.

£££££££

No idea why McLeish'd want to go there.

Double his salary, Premier League glamour.

+ a regular challenge week in and week out. I always got the impression managing a country would be boring compaired to a club, seen as you have very few games a year.

I don't blame him.

It's a fact of football nowadays that international jobs are often used as a stepping stone towards club management. For McLeish and Birmingham read Hughes and Blackburn.

If somebody offered me a better contract to leave my current job then i'd probably do it if the circumstances were right aswell. He's walking into the unknown a wee bit with Birmingham though. I'm not sure if anybody really knows for sure what's going on behind the scenes there...

Reporting Scotland are saying that Gary McAllister is the favourite on account of the good interview he gave before McLiesh was appointed. It'll either be him or Davies because they're both available for free.

I don't think much of McAllister. Any time i've heard his punditry on Sky Sports i've always got the impression that he's trying too hard to be like Andy Gray, but he never seems to be sure of himself and doesn't half blether some nonsense at times.

Davies doesn't come with the same calibre as Smith or McLiesh having neither managed in the Champions League nor won any trophies or league titles. However, his stock is higher than McAllister's given what he did with Derby.

Jim Traynor made a good point on Your Call at the weekend when he said it's going to be extremely difficult to tempt a manager who is currently employed at a club to take the Scotland job because they're unlikely to willingly go from working with players every day to working with players once every couple of months - that's the bread and butter of management. So that rules out Jeffries, Levein and Calderwood.

I think Alex did really well at Motherwell then it tailed off a bit, was outstanding at Hibs & at Rangers where he won the same amount of trophies as MON. He took over Scotland when they were doing well & carried that on. Another one of Ferigie's old players getting a chance with a Premierleague club.

No idea why McLeish'd want to go there.

Double his salary, Premier League glamour.

+ a regular challenge week in and week out. I always got the impression managing a country would be boring compaired to a club, seen as you have very few games a year.

You know what I mean. If he'd held out for a bit a better offer would've come along.