Alan Shearer should climb off sofa and show that he wants to manage

EthiGeordie

its a disgrace if they sack allardyce so soon.

it makes a luaghing stock of us once again, and i thought that was over when freddy left.

allardyce deserves the season at least.

as already said, we have 4 very winnable games coming up, and things will look a lot clearer after them.

we've been ripped up from top to bottom, its going to take time.

Guest The Libertine

hang on boys, in the other thread, keegan said he wants to come back!! lets just get him in and we can lose 4-3 and start to enjoy watching football again!!  :frantic:

no keegan, no shearer please.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The London press are bigging the Shearer story up to sell papers. Newcastle is picked on because it has a large fanatical fan base that will buyany paper that has anything about Newcastle in it, thus selling more papers. Other big clubs get away with it more because they have success.

Big Sam needs time, we always knew this would be a difficult few weeks for us, and if anything his biggest crime was not getting anything at Reading.

The summer was a nightmare for him in terms of recruitment, because his priority was defenders, and his main targets had gone. The players he has brought are good solid players, however their major crime is their lack of premiership knowledge and the fact that they can't stay fit for more than a handful of games.

I just don't believe this story. After all the talk of establishing continuity and sticking with a manager, they're surely not going to let it all hinge on whether we're beaten in one game against the league leaders.

Mort needs to come out asap and deny this.

I just don't believe this story. After all the talk of establishing continuity and sticking with a manager, they're surely not going to let it all hinge on whether we're beaten in one game against the league leaders.

Mort needs to come out asap and deny this.

Sam has dropped a lot of points against poor sides for which he should be held responsible as it was avoidable IMO. That said, the Arsenal game is not one on which rash decisions should be made. We will get beaten, but at the moment we are short of central defenders so it's not really fair to judge on that match. Let's get to Christmas and see if any lessons have been learned.

Why on earth would Ashley and Mort bring in an unproven manager if theyve got ambitions?

Thats my feelings, they don't have Shepherds dream so why would they appoint such a risky candidate?

I agree, I think it'd be the wrong move but there are some possible explanations for it;-

- Great PR and a marketing dream for Ashley/Sports Direct. It will raise our profile and (perhaps?) bring a feel good factor back to the club.

- Maybe they think it's what the fans want?

- Maybe they think Sam can't/won't succeed but they've got no other option due to the Shearer thing constantly lurking in the background?

- Keep Owen?

I don't know really - all just guesses.

I'd be against the appointment though.

I wouldn't appoint Shearer but at least he'd have the majority of fans on his side, something Allardyce will never have

He'd have 15 games to show we can get back into the top 6, otherwise he'd have to go

very childish

I suppose if we appointed Shearer now the next appointment would be at a good time (just before the summer).

Then we can get Roeder back and give him a bit longer this time, Souness can follow him

May aswell, can't imagine many top managers are going to want to come here. That said the compensation packages are probably quite attractive, who wouldn't seriously consider 4 years pay for 6 months work!?

I wouldn't appoint Shearer but at least he'd have the majority of fans on his side, something Allardyce will never have

He'd have 15 games to show we can get back into the top 6, otherwise he'd have to go

very childish

There's a certain amount of irony in you calling that childish.  Thats the way some people seem to want our club run now.  And FWIW there would be no reason to give Shearer any longer than Allardyce has had.

Until said fans realise that it's going to take more than 3 months to turn us into a decent side.

If Shearer had his head screwed on he'd turn down the job, if he gets it wrong it could seriously leave his reputation in tatters.

If Ashley wants Shearer in the club so much, speak to Sam and ask if he'd be happy to have him in his collection of 377834698 backroom staff.

Push Pearson and Round aside and let Shearer talk to the players, offer advice etc (the man has been there ffs, and obviously knows what he's talking about) and give Sam advice on a possible plan B - something to which it is becoming more evident the aforementioned fuckwits don't be able to do

very childish

There's a certain amount of irony in you calling that childish.  Thats the way some people seem to want our club run now.  And FWIW there would be no reason to give Shearer any longer than Allardyce has had.

If he persisted with clueless tactics, formations and subs and used players out of position he could have few complaints

Until said fans realise that it's going to take more than 3 months to turn us into a decent side.

If Shearer had his head screwed on he'd turn down the job, if he gets it wrong it could seriously leave his reputation in tatters.

I agree. Any sane manager wouldn't go near us if they actually wanted to progress their careers.

As Gejon says, if you're an old duffer or if you fancy a nicely subsidised early retirement then we're your club.

Shearer should becomes Sam Allardyce's assistant and picks up his new ideas. It would certainly be one of the best football management education you could get in England.

I am very glad that so far he has been patient and not jumping into the management bandwagon. I am glad that he has been doing punditing and mixing with other pundits with strong opinions (right or wrong) on the game. Shearer will at least get a lot of outsider perspectives and this will only do him good in the long run.

It would be about time he steps into management once his BBC job is over. But be an assistant to a manager (Big Sam, Ferguson, Benitez, Mourinho etc) first before he claims things his own.

Its very unlikely he will get sacked so soon, Mort and Ashley are not going to appoint an unknown manager IF he was either. They have made it clear they are trying to take the club forward and not by taking unknown risks like appointing Shearer 1/3rd of the way through a season.

I am not sure how Shearer would turn out in management - is anyone? But all this stuff about cutting his teeth at a lower level will prove nothing. If being successful with lower league clubs is what it take s to become a successful Premiership manager then why are so many clubs who have changed managers recently in the Premiership not gone looking at successful lower league managers.

Look at Roberto Martinez of Swansea, he has been in his job for about a year or so and has done really well, brought Swansea to brink of playoffs last season and top of league 1 this season would anyone seriously consider him to be next Newcastle manager?? His name was mentined for the Wigan job but he was never a serious contender for that position.

If Shearer did well at say Hartlepool it would still be as much of a gamble as taking him on as manager now.

all this stuff about cutting his teeth at a lower level will prove nothing. If being successful with lower league clubs is what it take s to become a successful Premiership manager

Valid point. Remember Tisd09, Shearer was also a decent football player & all good managers were shite footballers.