100 years of the PFA - every single league club's best ever player

Dave

As voted for by supporters: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A29619147

Selected results to include the other fans we have on here.

Arsenal        Thierry Henry

Aston Villa    Paul McGrath

Everton        Dixie Dean

Liverpool      Kenny Dalglish

Man City        Bert Trautman

Newcastle    Alan Shearer

Sunderland  Charlie Hurley

Tottenham    Jimmy Greaves

Watford        John Barnes

Was looking at this earlier, I knew it would be Shearer but I don't agree.

Noticed the "25 best ever", There's no fucking way in the world Figo was better than Maradona like.

That's based on some book of statistics or something.

Noticed the "25 best ever", There's no fucking way in the world Figo was better than Maradona like.

They probably only the named the top 25 cos #26 is Ali Daei.

As for Bert. Well he's a proper fucking 110% 24 carat legend - for City and in football as a whole - But I think most City fans who are much older than me will say Colin Bell was the best player ever to pull on the blue shirt.

Really? I thought it said that was a vote of the players or something? I can't get on it now, my internet's on the blink.

Really? I thought it said that was a vote of the players or something? I can't get on it now, my internet's on the blink.

A book published by ‘headline’ entitled “Greatest Ever Footballers” takes a statistical approach – with interesting results.

The results are based, firstly, on ‘A’ international appearances - and each appearance is awarded points that are weighted by the following criteria:

* Team played for – For example, appearances for more successful countries (Brazil and Argentina for example) count for more than less successful countries. Being in winning teams and progressing further in international competition also weighs heavier.

* More points from competitive matches over friendlies.

* Captaining your country earns more points.

* Appearances as substitute do not count as much as starts.

* Players who score goals, or keepers and defenders that keep clean sheets are awarded extra points.

Secondly, players pick up points when their team – at domestic or international level – achieves honours.

Thirdly, individual honours – such as FIFA World Player of the Year and English Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year – are also counted.

All in all, it produced a list headed by Pele – but in which George Best does not make the top 100, Romario and Luis Figo are ranked above the likes of Diego Maradona, Franz Beckenbauer and Alredo di Stefano, and Iranian frontman Ali Daei is ranked as the 26th best player of all time.

So basically not worth a wank. :thup:

Orange? I can only get on Toontastic and this place for some bizarre reason.

Yep! Glad it's not just me.

Yep! Glad it's not just me.

:lol: Ridic!

A book published by ‘headline’ entitled “Greatest Ever Footballers” takes a statistical approach – with interesting results.

The results are based, firstly, on ‘A’ international appearances - and each appearance is awarded points that are weighted by the following criteria:

* Team played for – For example, appearances for more successful countries (Brazil and Argentina for example) count for more than less successful countries. Being in winning teams and progressing further in international competition also weighs heavier.

* More points from competitive matches over friendlies.

* Captaining your country earns more points.

* Appearances as substitute do not count as much as starts.

* Players who score goals, or keepers and defenders that keep clean sheets are awarded extra points.

Secondly, players pick up points when their team – at domestic or international level – achieves honours.

Thirdly, individual honours – such as FIFA World Player of the Year and English Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year – are also counted.

All in all, it produced a list headed by Pele – but in which George Best does not make the top 100, Romario and Luis Figo are ranked above the likes of Diego Maradona, Franz Beckenbauer and Alredo di Stefano, and Iranian frontman Ali Daei is ranked as the 26th best player of all time.

So basically not worth a wank. :thup:

Ah right. :lol:

They probably only the named the top 25 cos #26 is Ali Daei.

As for Bert. Well he's a proper fucking 110% 24 carat legend - for City and in football as a whole - But I think most City fans who are much older than me will say Colin Bell was the best player ever to pull on the blue shirt.

Most Citeh fans that i speak to agree with you about Colin Bell,he was a great player,i remember his career was cut short by injury-big loss to Citeh and England.And they also say that Frank Swift was far and away Citeh's best ever 'keeper.These are proper old Mancunians who live near me and drink in my local,they must be in their 70's.

Ya, he got crocked bad by dirty rag hatchetman cunt Martin Buchan. Was 29 at the time tho so not that bad in terms of missing out (Nowt compared to Paul Lake, who I actually do remember, who got crocked at 21). As for England...he is the most capped City player ever but his England career wasn't owt to write home about - he was the player brought on for Bobby Charlton when we blew the lead against the West Germans in '70 and part of the team that couldn't beat Tomaszewski in 74... :tumbleweed:. Shit hot for City tho - I've seen the videos! :laugh:

They must be old to remember Frank Swift...he retired in '49! I dunno if he was better than Trautmann...we've had some class goalies down the years...them 2, Corrigan, Schmiechel, Andy Dibble...

McGrath is the best defender I've ever seen play in the English league.

The man was Godlike. And he did it all with fucked knees, never trained and was shitfaced for most of the matches.

This!

Hereford - Ronnie Radford

I wasn't even fucking born then, but do you think their fans voted for the cunt, simply because of that goal?

Divvent worry - you've only got a month before the BBC reel it out again - as they have done for the past thirty-odd years.

But as a neutral, the footage is one of the most evocative clips of English football ever. The kids in duffel coats bursting from behind the rope behind the goal, Radford running around with his hands up and - although he prob didnt have one, the footage seemed to hint he should have one - his big gut hanging out.

That was when the Cup really meant something.

I wasn't even fucking born then, but do you think their fans voted for the cunt, simply because of that goal?

Divvent worry - you've only got a month before the BBC reel it out again - as they have done for the past thirty-odd years.

But as a neutral, the footage is one of the most evocative clips of English football ever. The kids in duffel coats bursting from behind the rope behind the goal, Radford running around with his hands up and - although he prob didnt have one, the footage seemed to hint he should have one - his big gut hanging out.

You're a smashing lad, Brummie, but piss off.

You're a smashing lad, Brummie, but piss off.

Soz Keef ;)

Ronnie Radford played 61 league games for Hereford.

So I think its fair to say his inclusion was almost entirely down to that goal.

And I know exactly how you feel. But at least you don't have to play them regulary and put up with the constant "There's only one Ronnie Radford" chanting. As we do when we play a certain team who happened to beat us in the cup via a famous goal once upon a time.

PS: There's defintely more than one Ricardo Villa.  >:(

I thought both lists were really interesting. The world list turned out a bit better than I was expecting, given how badly statistics can warp things. The big losers for me are George Best, because his career at the top was so short and he never had a chance to achieve internationally with Northern Ireland, and Cruyff, who I would put at number one. Ajax were a minor club, and Dutch football was a bit of a joke until he came along.

On the club list, I'd like to see people restricted to voting for players that they've actually seen. (How many of those Everton supporters saw Dixie Dean play?) If you then broke the votes down into the voters' age categories, the results would be quite interesting.