Maik Taylors Save Off Gareth Bales Free Kick

Crumpy Gunt

Shay Given would NOT have saved that.

Taken from about the same distance out only difference was Bale swung it in with his left foot - the ball would have entered the net at the exact same place as Bentleys. The goalkeepers 'starting' position was identical.

Taylor covered his ground easily and Given didn't. Anyone who thinks Bentleys was 'unstoppable' should compare the two and think again.

Going back to the Citeh away game I would also say that if Given had positioned his wall to stop the direct shot (from 30 yards) then there would have been little chance that the ball could have been lifted over and not made the keeper an almost cert to save it.

My own thoughts are that Given just isn't as complete a goalkeeper as he was pre injury. Yes he can be a brilliant shotstopper but he just lacks that edge and he has NEVER controlled the back four or commanded even the six yard box as he should. Whoever is manager come January 1st I would like to se a keeper brought in who can seriously challenge Given for the shirt. Someone unlike Harper who will be dropped as soon as Given is available.

Not the same keeper that he once was - but in real-time, Bentley's free-kick was going a metre wide of the goal until the last second. I'm more worried about Given's horrendous kicking than his shot-stopping nowadays.

I think it was an excellent free-kick tbh, I don't think he would have saved it even if he had made more of an attempt. Was Bale's not floated more than Bentley's? Didn't seem as powerful, was a great save from Taylor nonetheless.

I was more annoyed at the last goal with him, was in no mans land. He tried to narrow the angle by coming out towards mcarthy but Rozehnal was still in the way so what was the point? Then it rebounded back and Tugay just had to pick his spot. Bentley's was closer in and had a lot more pace and whip on it. A bit harsh to compare.

When I saw it I knew you would compare it to Given :lol:

And your opinion is?

Do you agree that Given was very slow off the mark - he only took a small side step. Taylor chased a ball bending away from him and made the ground.

Same with the Gerrard goal. Jussi made a save last week from (can't remember) hit in the same place at similar pace. Given never takes the first sideways step quick enough and like Robinson has developed the bad habit of just jumping sideways instead of up. He never looks tall enough to me.

When I saw it I knew you would compare it to Given :lol:

And your opinion is?

Do you agree that Given was very slow off the mark - he only took a small side step. Taylor chased a ball bending away from him and made the ground.

Same with the Gerrard goal. Jussi made a save last week from (can't remember) hit in the same place at similar pace. Given never takes the first sideways step quick enough and like Robinson has developed the bad habit of just jumping sideways instead of up. He never looks tall enough to me.

Cue someone coming in and saying "Given is 6"1"

He looks short.

If Given's only going to defend one half of the goal, depending on the wall to protect the other, he should have stuck a defender on the other post.

You're right he was way too far over. What is the point of having midgets like Butt in the wall?

Has anyone noticed how far given comes off his line? Against Liverpool he was always miles off his line, I was suprised no-one chipped in a goal.

He had to be to anticipate through balls which in the second half living were playing every couple of mins.

You should all check out Sead Ramovic at Tromsoe IL. Probably the best goalie in the league, and will be wanting away this winter. Has the size, skills and determination to succed. Kind of a Bosnian Lehman :celb:

Guest sittingontheball

Seamus should get plenty of chances to impress us against the Arse.

Played a blinder against them last year.

TBF Maik Taylors save was a world class one, Given has made plenty of them in the past.

If a striker tries his luck from 30 yards and doesn't score does that automatically mean he isn't world class anymore?

Look at Anelka, he missed an open goal but i'm not going to start claiming he has lost his talent.

Given can't be expected to make those types of saves every week, especially condsidering he has just returned from injury. I agree there have been a few flying in recently but regardless of form or talent they were goals that MOST keepers would not have saved.

Why don't teams just put a defender on each post for direct free kicks?

Because you could then place any number of attackers on the line / in front of the 'keeper etc. and they'd all be on-side.

Why don't teams just put a defender on each post for direct free kicks?

Because the opposition would just pack the six yard box with no fear of being caught offside.