Fulham (a) Pre-Match Thread (15th December, 1715 KO)

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Probably because, by playing Enrique and Moving Milner and N'Zogbia, we'd have some play down both flanks instead of being completely lop-sided. And amazing? Erm, they did quite well and I know we haven't had much to cheer about lately but don't get carried away.

I get carried away.!

You can't argue that them playing in the same side creates a great attacking synergy (Milner being the rightfooted winger playing on the left and Zog a natural winger coming from the back), that we wouldn't have if they played different sides and since Enrique probably isn't fit yet it's also our only option now that Babayaro is gone. ;)

I get carried away.!

You can't argue that them playing in the same side creates a great attacking synergy (Milner being the rightfooted winger playing on the left and Zog a natural winger coming from the back), that we wouldn't have if they played different sides and since Enrique probably isn't fit yet it's also our only option now that Babayaro is gone. ;)

They combined well mate, aye. But I think Enrique and N'Zog down the left and Milner and Beye down the right is the way forward. And Enrique not fit yet? Good one :lol: ;)

Kudos on the use of 'synergy' too.

Sanchez likes direct, long ball and that's the kind of football our central defenders seem particularly bad at dealing with.

I'm startin to worry that we got nothing more than our money's worth for Cacapa and Roz.

Enrique must be showing precious little in training as well.

Sanchez likes direct, long ball and that's the kind of football our central defenders seem particularly bad at dealing with.

I'm startin to worry that we got nothing more than our money's worth for Cacapa and Roz.

If we put them on the back foot we should be okay but if Sam plays his usual tactics we will struggle

Hopefully Faye plays to deal with long balls

Yeah and we saw against Brum how much Taylor and Roz struggle with a big punt straight down the middle, as weve seen many times before we our centre halfs

you expect wonders from a combined £2m?

Regular international for the Czech Republic and the skipper of a team that's played in the champions league regularly for a decade tbh. Personally I think Roz is a good defender, let down by his distribution. I think Cacapa is a very good defender, lacking in confidence after Pompey.

Regular international for the Czech Republic and the skipper of a team that's played in the champions league regularly for a decade tbh. Personally I think Roz is a good defender, let down by his distribution. I think Cacapa is a very good defender, lacking in confidence after Pompey.

How do you know he's lacking in confidence, he hasn't played since  :lol:

'Think' being the key word, or couldn't you see that?

silly comment tbf

No, and that was my point.

And aerial ability.

I thought there was a consensus that the defence needs time to settle down and that judging defenders (especially in a club that has just bought 5 new ones) can easily be premature as witnessed by the performances of Evra and Vidic?

A meringue?

No, I agree, I just think Rozenhal struggles in the air a bit for a Premier League centre-half. Both him and Cacapa need someone like Faye alongside them - they're sweepers.

No, I agree, I just think Rozenhal struggles in the air a bit for a Premier League centre-half. Both him and Cacapa need someone like Faye alongside them - they're sweepers.

I agree, that was seen at Derby. From the centre backs we have at the moment it's looking like we should be playing one of Cacapa and Roz alongside one of Faye and Taylor.

I think it’s quite amazing how many people are willing to write off a player in the form of Cacapa who everyone was spanking off over until he had a bad 17 MINUTES WHILST CARRYING AN INJURY! Jesus, don’t be so fickle, give the guy a chance.

Once again with Roz, people were saying he was one of the steals of the season early on and since he’s come back from injury he’s had a bit of a struggle finding his feet but you can still see if he settles he will be quality.

We’ve played any number of different back lines this season so no wonder at times simple punts downfield cause confusion. There should have been a shout / interception from Taylor against Brum before the ball even bounced over Rozenthal for the goal and yes, the positioning was bad, but he has come from a league where punts over the top isn’t the way teams attack and he was one of the best defenders in that league, much like Vidic when he joined the Mancs, he’s struggled to adapt immediately but needs time to work out how to play against this and I’m sure that will come as we head into the second part of the season. The guy hasn’t played much more than 10 games for us and a lot of those games have been with a variety of partners.

As for Enrique, he’s a hell of a lot younger than Faye, Beye, Cacapa and Rozenthal with a load less experience. No wonder Sam isn’t keen to just drop him into the team – listen to some of you guys on here, if that translated to general fan reaction at a game and he made a bit of a howler it could destroy his toon career before it even begins. Yes, people should be able to deal with pressure, but he’s 21, living away from home for the first time and adapting to a completely different way of life as well as a completely different type of football. I wouldn’t be too concerned if Sam kept him out of the team for most of the season and only played him in the cup and in easier or even away games, where there is less chance the fans would give him any grief.

There’s so much whinging about why are defence has been rubbish for so long and the answer is so obvious – no back 4 is given any time to settle and as soon as there is an error people are on their back and the press catch on and deride us. Not sure if it was last season or the one before in which Tottenham, having finished 5th, conceded more goals than us with King and Dawson as their centre backs and people were lauding the two of them. If we back our defence in the same way we’ve backed the team in the last few days they will get it right and we’ll all be happy. C’mon lads.

Guest LucasUnger

I think its quite amazing how many people are willing to write off a player in the form of Cacapa who everyone was spanking off over until he had a bad 17 MINUTES WHILST CARRYING AN INJURY! Jesus, dont be so fickle, give the guy a chance.

Once again with Roz, people were saying he was one of the steals of the season early on and since hes come back from injury hes had a bit of a struggle finding his feet but you can still see if he settles he will be quality.

Weve played any number of different back lines this season so no wonder at times simple punts downfield cause confusion. There should have been a shout / interception from Taylor against Brum before the ball even bounced over Rozenthal for the goal and yes, the positioning was bad, but he has come from a league where punts over the top isnt the way teams attack and he was one of the best defenders in that league, much like Vidic when he joined the Mancs, hes struggled to adapt immediately but needs time to work out how to play against this and Im sure that will come as we head into the second part of the season. The guy hasnt played much more than 10 games for us and a lot of those games have been with a variety of partners.

As for Enrique, hes a hell of a lot younger than Faye, Beye, Cacapa and Rozenthal with a load less experience. No wonder Sam isnt keen to just drop him into the team listen to some of you guys on here, if that translated to general fan reaction at a game and he made a bit of a howler it could destroy his toon career before it even begins. Yes, people should be able to deal with pressure, but hes 21, living away from home for the first time and adapting to a completely different way of life as well as a completely different type of football. I wouldnt be too concerned if Sam kept him out of the team for most of the season and only played him in the cup and in easier or even away games, where there is less chance the fans would give him any grief.

Theres so much whinging about why are defence has been rubbish for so long and the answer is so obvious no back 4 is given any time to settle and as soon as there is an error people are on their back and the press catch on and deride us. Not sure if it was last season or the one before in which Tottenham, having finished 5th, conceded more goals than us with King and Dawson as their centre backs and people were lauding the two of them. If we back our defence in the same way weve backed the team in the last few days they will get it right and well all be happy. Cmon lads.

100% right!!!

give cacapa faye roz taylor enrique beye a little more time to gel.

i think with a few young ones comin through the academy like edgar or buy 1 or 2 good defenders we could have one of the best defences in the premier league.

just give them time!

Alex, I agree Roz and Cacapa are "sweepers", they like to wait and read the situation before making their defensive decisions, they aren't the aggressive "first to ball" hard hitting central defenders in the mould of Taylor, Terry, Cambell...etc. The ideal scenario for those long lumps upfield is for one of the pairing to always attack these situations (guess who?) and the other to stand off and review the situation, and if needed to "SWEEP UP".

The best example of this is cambell and ferdinand at their best or terry and ferdinand, one being very aggressive and first to ball, the other interpreting how the situation will unfold and taking the appropriate measures.

I think Cacapa is the better of the two defenders (roz) although I didn't see the  howlers against portsmouth...

I'd also go for cacapa and taylor in the middle.

Guest Guinness

This could be a really important spell in our season, our next three games are against sides that are struggling and we really need to be looking to take maximum points. Fulham are a lot stronger at home, but with pressure mounting on Sanchez we need to look to exploit the situation. The only way to do that is with a winning mentality and hopefully after the last couple of results the lads will go into this fixture full of confidence. I wouldn't make too many changes to the line up as it seems things are just starting to settle, however if Faye is fit I'd definitely bring him in for Rozehnal who still doesn't seem completely comfortable with the English game.