Lifetime achievement award for Sir Bobby

James

Just had a chance to watch it now and I'm in tears, especially as he moved towards the stage, I'm even welling up now as I type this

A true gentleman and huge personality of the game, a fitting tribute to Bobby.

so, where WAS shearer? 

To be fair, I think he was on Match of the Day duty.

...the day before

hmm..  well, i'm not trying to stir trouble-- i genuinely wanted to know what would keep wor alan from honouring the man who, really, revived his career.  perhaps he was ill?

hmm..  well, i'm not trying to stir trouble-- i genuinely wanted to know what would keep wor alan from honouring the man who, really, revived his career.  perhaps he was ill?

He looked OK on Saturday night, perhaps he wasn't invited.

Could be any reason. He has a family you know.

Anyway, someone should add a poll to this thread with ideas on a tribute.

just curious,dave.  of course i know he has a family.  :rolleyes: 

aren't you not the least bit curious as well?

Right, I've started something but would like ideas from as many people as possible and would like to know who would be interested in making a donation, if we can get enough interest then I'll try and involve somebody or something who can be trusted to handle cash. 

I'm sure enough people will be interested as Sir Bobby is a national institution, it doesn't even have to be just Newcastle fans.

I need ideas.

Better to start a new thread asking for ideas then add them to a poll when you've got a few. If you want to start the thread Mick, I'll sort the poll out for you when you're ready.

Will do, I'll start with a simple, would you be interested?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_page_id=1951&in_article_id=500605&in_author_id=353

I've had some memorable times in my career and I'm sure tonight is going to rank right up there with the best of them.

To get a Lifetime Achievement award at an event as prestigious as the BBC Sports Personality of the Year in front of a national TV audience really will be an extremely proud and special moment for me.

I almost have to pinch myself to be placed alongside previous recipients Sir Alex Ferguson, George Best, Martina Navratilova, Sir Ian Botham, Pele and Bjorn Borg.

I've been passionate about football since the day I was born and in return it has given me a life and career I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams.

My Dad used to take me to St James' Park every other Saturday and we would literally be the first to stand in the queue hours before kick-off.

It's hard to believe that boy overawed by his first hero, Albert Stubbins, would end up rubbing shoulders with so many greats in the game.

I was lucky enough to play for England with Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton until I was left out for some bloke called Bobby Moore.

And what a privilege it was to be the manager of such great players as Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne, Romario, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer.

I had Ronaldo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Figo in my teams as teenagers, pitted my wits against Cloughie and Fergie, was cheated by Diego Maradona and played a World Cup game when I was picked for England and Pele was left out for Brazil.

All in all, it's been an incredible journey. My secret has been to love the game more than the prize, a favourite saying of my old chairman at Ipswich, John Cobbold.

Winning is extremely important, of course, but without two teams and a referee, you've got no game at all.

I also found you have to try to stay young in football. I built a team at Ipswich Town based on homegrown talent and Butcher, Russell Osman, George Burley, Kevin Beattie, Alan Brazil and others developed to build a side that could challenge the best in Europe.

The thrill of helping Figo, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy turn from raw teenagers into world stars was immense. And even in my last job at Newcastle, I looked to youth. That is why I signed Craig Bellamy, Jermaine Jenas and James Milner among others.

I was also the first manager to make a formal bid for an 18-year-old called Wayne Rooney, who has the talent to be an all-time great.

In other words, I've never been one of the 'it was better in my day' brigade. I know there are problems with the football industry but the game itself is better than it ever has been. Players are fitter, stronger, quicker and more skilful.

The pitches are better, the training ground facilities are better,the medical and dietary knowledge is better.

Although no longer employed fulltime in football and despite my health setbacks,I'm still in love with the game.

That's why I'm a regular visitor to all the north-east teams, from Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland down to Hartlepool.

I even travelled north last season to watch Berwick Rangers and Gretna. And you know, I enjoyed it as much as going to Wembley.

How will I feel tonight? Proud, undoubtedly.A little nervous, possibly.

To be surrounded by so many sporting greats of the current era like Lewis Hamilton will indeed be an honour. I will think about my parents, particularly my Dad, who gave me my love for football.

I will think about my wife Elsie and my sons who have been on this journey with me. And all the players, chairmen, supporters and backroom staff who have helped me along the way.

I'll spare a thought for 'Geordie' George Johnson, the schoolboy pal I used to play 'Headers' with for hours against a wall near our homes in County Durham.

I would throw a tennis ball in the air and try to head it past Geordie, who was in a goal marked out on the wall. Then it was his turn. This wasn't a three-and-in game. The first one to a hundred was the winner! I've always been extreme when it comes to football.

My career highlights? It is so hard to single out one. Maybe, the day I was offered the chance to manage my country. Or the night I managed the biggest club in the world, Barcelona, to the European Cup-Winners' Cup.

There were glory nights at Ipswich too, and my homecoming at St James' Park when we defeated Sheffield Wednesday 8-0.

In football, there are lows as well. Twice, coming close to winning the World Cup was hard to take, particularly as we were beaten by the 'Hand of God' in 1986 and on penalties in 1990.

I never understood why I was sacked as Newcastle manager when I hadn't even lost two games in a row.

It was even more of a shock at Sporting — I lost my job there when we were top of the league.

The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil's Ronaldo. I signed him for Barcelona in 1996 after I failed to get Alan Shearer from Blackburn.

Ronaldo was lean, mean, as quick as an Olympic sprinter and some of the goals he scored had me shaking my head in disbelief. Shearer and Bryan Robson were my best British players, although it might have been Kevin Beattie had it not been for injuries.

People know I have had to fight cancer on several occasions and since an operation to remove a brain tumour in 2006, my movement on the left side has been restricted.

Even so, I have kept busy and involved in football — I don't know any other way.

I was sorry I couldn't help Steve Staunton more as the international football adviser with the Republic of Ireland. I've chatted to Brian Barwick about the England job.

Unfortunately for me, he wanted advice, not volunteers. If only I was a few years younger . . .

A lifetime achievement award suggests the next stop is a coffin. Let me assure you, that will not be the case!

I am going to be more active in my role as president of Ipswich Town, I may stay involved with the FAI in some capacity given the closeness of our relationship and I will be watching as many games as possible, as well as continuing with this column for The Mail on Sunday.

I've had a wonderful life in football.

This award tonight is for everyone who has helped me along the way as much as it is for myself.

Guest Micktoon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_page_id=1951&in_article_id=500605&in_author_id=353

I've had some memorable times in my career and I'm sure tonight is going to rank right up there with the best of them.

To get a Lifetime Achievement award at an event as prestigious as the BBC Sports Personality of the Year in front of a national TV audience really will be an extremely proud and special moment for me.

I almost have to pinch myself to be placed alongside previous recipients Sir Alex Ferguson, George Best, Martina Navratilova, Sir Ian Botham, Pele and Bjorn Borg.

I've been passionate about football since the day I was born and in return it has given me a life and career I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams.

My Dad used to take me to St James' Park every other Saturday and we would literally be the first to stand in the queue hours before kick-off.

It's hard to believe that boy overawed by his first hero, Albert Stubbins, would end up rubbing shoulders with so many greats in the game.

I was lucky enough to play for England with Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton until I was left out for some bloke called Bobby Moore.

And what a privilege it was to be the manager of such great players as Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Paul Gascoigne, Romario, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer.

I had Ronaldo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Luis Figo in my teams as teenagers, pitted my wits against Cloughie and Fergie, was cheated by Diego Maradona and played a World Cup game when I was picked for England and Pele was left out for Brazil.

All in all, it's been an incredible journey. My secret has been to love the game more than the prize, a favourite saying of my old chairman at Ipswich, John Cobbold.

Winning is extremely important, of course, but without two teams and a referee, you've got no game at all.

I also found you have to try to stay young in football. I built a team at Ipswich Town based on homegrown talent and Butcher, Russell Osman, George Burley, Kevin Beattie, Alan Brazil and others developed to build a side that could challenge the best in Europe.

The thrill of helping Figo, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy turn from raw teenagers into world stars was immense. And even in my last job at Newcastle, I looked to youth. That is why I signed Craig Bellamy, Jermaine Jenas and James Milner among others.

I was also the first manager to make a formal bid for an 18-year-old called Wayne Rooney, who has the talent to be an all-time great.

In other words, I've never been one of the 'it was better in my day' brigade. I know there are problems with the football industry but the game itself is better than it ever has been. Players are fitter, stronger, quicker and more skilful.

The pitches are better, the training ground facilities are better,the medical and dietary knowledge is better.

Although no longer employed fulltime in football and despite my health setbacks,I'm still in love with the game.

That's why I'm a regular visitor to all the north-east teams, from Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland down to Hartlepool.

I even travelled north last season to watch Berwick Rangers and Gretna. And you know, I enjoyed it as much as going to Wembley.

How will I feel tonight? Proud, undoubtedly.A little nervous, possibly.

To be surrounded by so many sporting greats of the current era like Lewis Hamilton will indeed be an honour. I will think about my parents, particularly my Dad, who gave me my love for football.

I will think about my wife Elsie and my sons who have been on this journey with me. And all the players, chairmen, supporters and backroom staff who have helped me along the way.

I'll spare a thought for 'Geordie' George Johnson, the schoolboy pal I used to play 'Headers' with for hours against a wall near our homes in County Durham.

I would throw a tennis ball in the air and try to head it past Geordie, who was in a goal marked out on the wall. Then it was his turn. This wasn't a three-and-in game. The first one to a hundred was the winner! I've always been extreme when it comes to football.

My career highlights? It is so hard to single out one. Maybe, the day I was offered the chance to manage my country. Or the night I managed the biggest club in the world, Barcelona, to the European Cup-Winners' Cup.

There were glory nights at Ipswich too, and my homecoming at St James' Park when we defeated Sheffield Wednesday 8-0.

In football, there are lows as well. Twice, coming close to winning the World Cup was hard to take, particularly as we were beaten by the 'Hand of God' in 1986 and on penalties in 1990.

I never understood why I was sacked as Newcastle manager when I hadn't even lost two games in a row.

It was even more of a shock at Sporting — I lost my job there when we were top of the league.

The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil's Ronaldo. I signed him for Barcelona in 1996 after I failed to get Alan Shearer from Blackburn.

Ronaldo was lean, mean, as quick as an Olympic sprinter and some of the goals he scored had me shaking my head in disbelief. Shearer and Bryan Robson were my best British players, although it might have been Kevin Beattie had it not been for injuries.

People know I have had to fight cancer on several occasions and since an operation to remove a brain tumour in 2006, my movement on the left side has been restricted.

Even so, I have kept busy and involved in football — I don't know any other way.

I was sorry I couldn't help Steve Staunton more as the international football adviser with the Republic of Ireland. I've chatted to Brian Barwick about the England job.

Unfortunately for me, he wanted advice, not volunteers. If only I was a few years younger . . .

A lifetime achievement award suggests the next stop is a coffin. Let me assure you, that will not be the case!

I am going to be more active in my role as president of Ipswich Town, I may stay involved with the FAI in some capacity given the closeness of our relationship and I will be watching as many games as possible, as well as continuing with this column for The Mail on Sunday.

I've had a wonderful life in football.

This award tonight is for everyone who has helped me along the way as much as it is for myself.

Now if 50% of our current squad had 10% of Sir Bobs passion for the game St James' would be a far brighter place to visit.

Sir Bobby Robson=Absolute footballing legend and true Geordie Hero