Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

Does that mean Mort has written off our chances of qualifying for Europe this season? Because it doesnt look like the current squad is strong enough to. If he hasnt written it off, thats quite a judgement/prediction to say that the current lot can turn it around.

God knows what bollocks fat Sam is feeding him. The current squad as you say isn't quite good enough and with Villa, Man C and Blackburn still showing weakness I feel with a couple of good Jan swoops we could still fight for Euro.

Long termism is good but should be continuing in the background as a foundation. First team matters are infinetely more sensitive and have an immediate impact on a clubs fortunes.

Mort's quite clearly stated he thinks this squad is only going to get better in time and that a lot of our problems so far have been due to the fact that the squad isn't settled/hasn't gelled yet - which he has a lot of supporting evidence for, particularly when you look at most of the goals we've conceded. We almost brought in half a first team squad over the summer, most of them being foreign and some not even being able to speak the language.

As always with these sorts of interviews, we never know what his real intentions are, but if he is speaking the truth about our plans then I can see why we'd be adopting that approach.

Unless someone of genuine quality becomes available that Allardyce/Ashley/Mort all want to bring here, it's fair enough that we'd be sticking with what we have and planning for the long-term.

Meanwhile Pompey and Man City will spend on the first team (or have indicated they will).

As someone said earlier we need a right sided attacking option of good quality.

I wonder if Mort really understands how toothless we really are in reality.

I know I'm not exactly being ambitious, but Damien Duff's return should provide us with a "good quality" option on the left-flank, which would allow Milner to move over to the right - I'd also consider Jimmy "good quality", by the way. It's not ideal and it doesn't capture people's imagination in the same way that a signing would, but it could be just what the doctor ordered.

I do agree with you in that I'd like to see us bringing in a player or two in similar areas to what you've mentioned, but I won't be too upset if it doesn't happen. I do also believe, like Mort is saying, that we should only get better as the signings adjust to one another (mainly in defence) and if we can get the likes of Duff back and keep them fit.

some good quotes in there - he sound like a bloke with both feet planted solidly where they are supposed to be.

only worry is jan - i would like for us to sign a creative acm. but i'd rather stick with the current squad than make panic signings in jan...

but again - if they already are drawing up a shortlist, i do suppose that they will move for any one of those players in january if they become available...

Does that mean Mort has written off our chances of qualifying for Europe this season? Because it doesnt look like the current squad is strong enough to. If he hasnt written it off, thats quite a judgement/prediction to say that the current lot can turn it around.

God knows what bollocks fat Sam is feeding him. The current squad as you say isn't quite good enough and with Villa, Man C and Blackburn still showing weakness I feel with a couple of good Jan swoops we could still fight for Euro.

Long termism is good but should be continuing in the background as a foundation. First team matters are infinetely more sensitive and have an immediate impact on a clubs fortunes.

Mort's quite clearly stated he thinks this squad is only going to get better in time and that a lot of our problems so far have been due to the fact that the squad isn't settled/hasn't gelled yet - which he has a lot of supporting evidence for, particularly when you look at most of the goals we've conceded. We almost brought in half a first team squad over the summer, most of them being foreign and some not even being able to speak the language.

As always with these sorts of interviews, we never know what his real intentions are, but if he is speaking the truth about our plans then I can see why we'd be adopting that approach.

Unless someone of genuine quality becomes available that Allardyce/Ashley/Mort all want to bring here, it's fair enough that we'd be sticking with what we have and planning for the long-term.

Meanwhile Pompey and Man City will spend on the first team (or have indicated they will).

They have 5th and 6th sewn up imo.

Mort understands though, all those years sitting on the terraces have given him a great insight into team performance issues.

Howay man, you can't use that as a stick to beat him with! Gaydamak and Shinawatra aren't even from this country. I'd be willing to bet they've seen less English football than the he has :lol:

It depends what Allardyce is telling him, like Parky says. I'd like to believe that Big Sam has more say in this side of things than interviews like this would lead us to believe and that with Ashley attending a fair few games in amongst the fans he'll start seeing what we see and hearing what we hear, thus loosening the purse strings further.

I'm with parky on this one. I think we need to buy first teamers in jan and let them get comfortable with life at newcastle. Let them play in easy games etc. Basically do what fergie did with evra and vidic, top top signings.

So then they should be ready for next season :shifty:

I'm with parky on this one. I think we need to buy first teamers in jan and let them get comfortable with life at newcastle. Let them play in easy games etc. Basically do what fergie did with evra and vidic, top top signings.

So then they should be ready for next season :shifty:

Not a bad shout at all, good logic.

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in at least one "senior" player in the window, mind, which would probably be enough if certain players would stay fit.

The squad isn't exactly small these days, it's just we have 3/4 players who are never fit and until they can be sold/released I can't see them being replaced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a player like David Edgar being a bit closer to the first team, if necessary.

Well, that was convenient. Babayaro is released... wonder if we'll see him replaced?

Mort understands though, all those years sitting on the terraces have given him a great insight into team performance issues.

Howay man, you can't use that as a stick to beat him with! Gaydamak and Shinawatra aren't even from this country. I'd be willing to bet they've seen less English football than the he has :lol:

I was just making mischief but i've not seen Shinawatra or Gaydamak saying the same things.

I was just making mischief but i've not seen Shinawatra or Gaydamak saying the same things.

And it is a good point Chez and a valid one. If SA wants a player I wouldn't like to think Mort thinks he already knows enough to make a debate out of it.

Don't forget it's pretty difficult to buy top players in January; clubs just don't want to let them go.

Wanting a couple of first-teamers is all well and good, but means others have to leave or be pushed out of the squad. Like who though?

And it is a good point Chez and a valid one. If SA wants a player I wouldn't like to think Mort thinks he already knows enough to make a debate out of it.

And if SA wants a player like Arshavin, then the board should back him. I've not seen a lot of him but he looks the sort of player we could use and if SA also thinks that and he is available then we should be looking to get him in whether its January or not.

Don't forget it's pretty difficult to buy top players in January; clubs just don't want to let them go.

Wanting a couple of first-teamers is all well and good, but means others have to leave or be pushed out of the squad. Like who though?

Well for me the baseline would be we close in on the Russian bloke (if the media are to be believed that is). Anything on top of that would be a bonus. I'm mindful it is the Jan window as you say and so not asking for the earth. bluerazz.gif

Well it seems to have worked for everyone else, so I guess you must be right. ;)

Well it seems to have worked for everyone else, so I guess you must be right. ;)

I was being sarcastic and in actual fact, i rate the whole of SJP as having the same view of the performance of the team. The difference in opinion is over what to do with the manager not whether there was blatant gaps on the right hand side of the team against liverpool etc etc. Everyone in the ground could see and agreed on that.

I was being sarcastic and in actual fact, i rate the whole of SJP as having the same view of the performance of the team. The difference in opinion is over what to do with the manager not whether there was blatant gaps on the right hand side of the team against liverpool etc etc. Everyone in the ground could see and agreed on that.

I knew you were joking, it was just meant as a friendly dig, but are you seriously saying that you think everyone in the ground is of the same opinion as to what needs to be done to the team!?! :o

As others have said, I'd like to think that if the right player becomes available Allardyce will be allowed to go for him. No reason as yet to doubt that will happen. Quotes to the press are just that.

As others have said, I'd like to think that if the right player becomes available Allardyce will be allowed to go for him. No reason as yet to doubt that will happen. Quotes to the press are just that.

I'd like to think that as well.

But the signs aren't that good unless it is a smokescreen. He could have said what you just said ie "If quality becomes available we will look at it seriously"...Or words to that effect. But he doesn't he almost says the opposite ie looking primarily at young players. I also hope to god SA isn't looking at yet more defensive players. The thing is Dave the quicker we get into Euro the easier it will be to attract quality and faster the momentum will build. Long term development is all well and good.....But our competitiors are doing that anyway.

This isn't a dig at Mort at all, I like him and he is a winner. But sometimes I look at him and would llke to put a rocket up his arse. bluerazz.gif

These are the sort of transfers that happen in January:

1) Young prospects that haven't properly broken through at their current club.

2) Good players from the smaller European Leagues, ie Scandinavia, Belgium, Eastern Europe and Russia

3) Good Players from clubs with money troubles.

4) Average, overpriced players

5) Players that get in a huff if their club rejects a move from a larger club.

1 and 2 require a good scouting network, there aren't really any 3s about, and we should avoid number 4s, while 5 doesnt really apply for us.

Guest optimistic nit

re parky on page 1: what realistically are we going to achieve this year buy buying for now? finishing 8th instead of 10th? building for the future is what we need, and is what is being said.

re parky on page 1: what realistically are we going to achieve this year buy buying for now? finishing 8th instead of 10th? building for the future is what we need, and is what is being said.

Would give any new signing 6 months to settle in.

To be honest, i think it was a great article, the guy sounds like he has his feet firmly planted on the ground, its nice having stability right the wa through the club and if its steadying progerss that this club makes then i am more than happy. To be fair to him, he's not ruled out making any first team signings, he's just stated 2 things:

(i) he doesnt intend trying the replace the first teamers he's losing in ANC as a sort of stop gap way of an immediate fix, which is a good thing, it doesnt make business sense to go and splash decent money on temporary replacements, i mean, would we be buying these players anyway even if the players werent leaving? The chances are that we wouldnt so whats the need now?? Makes complete sense to me.

(ii)Our defence seems to need addressing but the answer isnt trying to find more players who could improve the defense, he seems to acknowlege that the defense has excellent personnel but its a matter of getting them to play better together which is the issue.

agreed, i dont think europe is a worry, by that i mean i presume they're happier not spending 10 million on two players who MIGHT help us get into europe, but more than likely wont because the team as a whole doesnt look top 6 quality yet. this has been an entirely new start for the club, and if we improve and plan for the future a bit each year then i'll be happy, and i imagine so will the board, they're succesful business men and they'll know that it takes time to get results, we're probably just gonna have to put our faith in them and wait.

oh and milner wont play on the right, and duff wont play on the left

It's a tough one. I'm sick of the chopping and changing at first team level and yet more coming in will only cause more problems. So in that sense I agree with Mort about the defence, and I do think things will gradually get better if/when we have a settled team.

Further up the pitch, where there's more room for rotation, we are lacking a bit of quality. With the squad being the size it is though, we need to be signing players who are significantly better than what we have. In a sense we did the easy part in the summer, getting bodies in, mostly mediocre but at good prices.

The potential problem is that if we bring in a younger player he's not going to get sufficient games with the numbers we have in midfield and up front. He's having a hard time as it is keeping his midfielders happy, and I think this is part of the reason for some of Sam's strange lineups, formations and substitutions.

Dont know if ya being ironic or not but thats not what id call a good idea, only the truly world class managers have that knack of being able to intergrate many new top class players in a short time. Signing loads of players would be a terrible idea, for a start it would colectively destroy the morale of the current team who are having potential replacements signed right in front of them. It needs to be done slowly, filling in the weaknesses of the 1st team, then the squad, once the first team and squad is amply filled, then you start trying to improve the overall quality of the squad. Singing 5-6 top quality players sounds like a good idea,but i would bet the last £23.37 of my overdraft that it would fail miserably, Tottenham and Man U a few years back are shining examples of this.