Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

I get the impression that some people are waiting with baited breath for him or Ashley to fuck up in order to use it as some sort of justification of the previous regime and their handling of club affairs?

Indeed. And it's mind-bogglingly pathetic.

its a pathetic point of view alright.

not an answer. Sorry. Your attempts to avoid answering questions which may put the old board in a more favourable light than the new one for proving they had ambition are laughable. Its a waste of time asking you anything.

Liverpool fans wanted Owen back btw.

Your last statement is a direct contradiction of everything you used to talk about with your chum macbeth

Have you ever thought about posting in a thread which has nothing to do with who is running the club?

The person who brought out that little twinkle in your eye has gone, get over it and move on, try being positive for a change and see the improvements which have been made.  The club has another manager that you wanted, you also backed Roeder so even you should find something to be positive about.

not an answer. Sorry. Your attempts to avoid answering questions which may put the old board in a more favourable light than the new one for proving they had ambition are laughable. Its a waste of time asking you anything.

Liverpool fans wanted Owen back btw.

Your last statement is a direct contradiction of everything you used to talk about with your chum macbeth

Have you ever thought about posting in a thread which has nothing to do with who is running the club?

The person who brought out that little twinkle in your eye has gone, get over it and move on, try being positive for a change and see the improvements which have been made.  The club has another manager that you wanted, you also backed Roeder so even you should find something to be positive about.

hoho.....daft post, tbh. The guy who hurt your feelings has gone and like it or not, his replacement has yet to prove he matches the ambition for the club. And a long way to go to matching the league positions too. But if you want to think that Ashley is the bestest chairman in the whole world just because he buys people a beer, then its your prerogative. Its a pretty mind bending view though from someone who says they supported the club during the era of McKeag, Seymour etc etc.

I'm not particularly interested in posts about who will be our next left back or centre half, or who Sam will play there next game - if the board don't back him, sorry.

Oh, wait a mo, we've already splashed out on a left back. More money spunked then. I thought those days were over.

I may be missing the point as I only read ChezGiven post but we signed Owen in the summer not Jan

We also bought Woodgate in the January, I hope nobody is saying we shouldn't buy a player of that calibre just because its the "wrong time" - a completely absurd view if ever you saw one.

Mate, you're an idiot, I've never known anyone as selective as you. Can you point out anyone in this thread who says we shouldnt sign players of high calibre if available and essential.

It's all about context mate, and the context that most people were trying to imply was that generally speaking, using the January period to try and build a squad isnt the most practical thing to try and do, both business wise, and importantly footballing wise. Not a single person in this thread has said we shouldnt sign any players in the Jan period but that seems to be the context your asserting in your posts.

Without sounding patronizing, do you know the difference between squad strengthening and squad building?

If you see the difference that i do, then you would understand that squad building(i.e adding depth and quality throughout the squad) in January is a bad idea for a number of reasons, whereas squad strengthening (i.e, addressignt the weaknesses of the team) is what is required.

Thats the point im trying to argue anyway.

hoho.....daft post, tbh. The guy who hurt your feelings has gone and like it or not, his replacement has yet to prove he matches the ambition for the club. And a long way to go to matching the league positions too. But if you want to think that Ashley is the bestest chairman in the whole world just because he buys people a beer, then its your prerogative. Its a pretty mind bending view though from someone who says they supported the club during the era of McKeag, Seymour etc etc.

I'm not particularly interested in posts about who will be our next left back or centre half, or who Sam will play there next game - if the board don't back him, sorry.

Oh, wait a mo, we've already splashed out on a left back. More money spunked then. I thought those days were over.

Ashley isn't the bestest chairman in the whole world, he isn't even chairman.  :lol:

You're desperate to see us fail.  :coolsmiley:

Ashley isn't the bestest chairman in the whole world, he isn't even chairman.   :lol:

You're desperate to see us fail.   :coolsmiley:

Isnt spending £25m on a manager they dint appoint quite ambitious?

Isnt signing 9 players of a good quality quite ambitious?

Isnt clearing the debt run up by the last regime so the club can progress more efficiently ambitious?

Why is it that sepnding money on players in your world is the only sign of true ambition?

Why isnt the club actviely looking to improve the youth system by signing potential stars for the future ambitious?

What has the chairman actually specifically said that implies he's not looking to improve the squad? Therefore insinuating that theres no ambition.

Would just like to point out as well that Mort has been in the club for 5 months and so far (excluding the purchase of the club) £100m has been spent by him, is that a lack of ambition?

You seem to think that Shepards method of running the club was the only blueprint for success inthe premiership (i.e throwing money at people)? But didnt his method leave us in a precarious position? £80m in debt? Wheres the justification for all this praise?

Are you related to Freddy Shepard? And by any chance are you a journalist or a politician?

(that was aimed at NE5 bytheway, think i misquoted)

Ashley isn't the bestest chairman in the whole world, he isn't even chairman.   :lol:

Isnt spending £25m on a manager they dint appoint quite ambitious?

Isnt signing 9 players of a good quality quite ambitious?

Isnt clearing the debt run up by the last regime so the club can progress more efficiently ambitious?

Why is it that sepnding money on players in your world is the only sign of true ambition?

Why isnt the club actviely looking to improve the youth system by signing potential stars for the future ambitious?

What has the chairman actually specifically said that implies he's not looking to improve the squad? Therefore insinuating that theres no ambition.

Would just like to point out as well that Mort has been in the club for 5 months and so far (excluding the purchase of the club) £100m has been spent by him, is that a lack of ambition?

You seem to think that Shepards method of running the club was the only blueprint for success inthe premiership (i.e throwing money at people)? But didnt his method leave us in a precarious position? £80m in debt? Wheres the justification for all this praise?

Are you related to Freddy Shepard? And by any chance are you a journalist or a politician?

I think you've got me.   bluelaugh.gif

Placards should be strung up from the rafters and noises of disapproval should be raised, on the final home game of the season, in the event of Owen leaving in January under the proviso of board not supplying the necessary funds in order to find a ready-made replacement.

Shepherd would've been on the receiving end of this very treatment - despite rubberstamping Souness' 25m+ acquisition of England's no.1 Hitman in Owen, and one of Spain's brightest attacking talents in Luque.......... and Martins for Roeder - and the same rule should apply to Mort & Ashley. *two 10m+ acquisitions who both saved us from relegation in separate seasons.

It's all good and well for Mort to be media savy by laying out a grand plan off-the-pitch and it's been to his benefit. 'Foundation building' is the right idea and it's what supporters want to hear from a new regime who are trying to earn their stripes from the supporter base. Talk of 'direction' gives supporters hope. Combine this with Ashley seemingly winning over the hearts of some by rolling up to home games draped in a replica shirt.

But you know what it's still 'hot air' to me. The 'foundation building' Mort and Fredbob speak of - ie. The Arsenal Model - will take an even longer before any comparable benefits are reaped in our case when you consider that the well travelled Wenger arrived at Arsenal with his own network of personal contacts in place, in France/Africa and Sth America that is. In our case - ie. scouting networks, contacts etc - at present it's bare bones stuff and i don't think Allardyce has the same resources, from his own experience, in his locker as compared with Wenger and therefore our approach should be balanced ie. The Arsenal Youth Model combined with signing at least one marquee player a season according to departures & team needs.

To borrow a well worn cliche 'Rome wasn't built in a day' but remember Wenger in the infancy of his empire building, when restructuring the already mention foundations/club direction at Arsenal re-youth, was still backed by his board in signing the one marquee attacking midfielder - ie. Bergkamp - who made an immediate impact. Until he does likewise Mort's 'foundation building' talk will stay in the realms of 'hot air' imo.

In relation to how far Mort is prepared to back Allardyce, January remains a litmus test imo.

good post. bergkamp was bought by rioch tho, but wenger did get overmars who was considered one of the top wingers at the time in his first full close season/pre season summer. i wouldn't say jan is the litmus test, rather that next summer is. it's harder to acquire big names in january, and i'm not sure mort and ashley are totally convinced with allardyce (yet) so i reckon his budget in january will be limited.

Big oversight on my part - giving Wenger too much credit.

Placards should be strung up from the rafters and noises of disapproval should be raised, on the final home game of the season, in the event of Owen leaving in January under the proviso of board not supplying the necessary funds in order to find a ready-made replacement.

Shepherd would've been on the receiving end of this very treatment - despite rubberstamping Souness' 25m+ acquisition of England's no.1 Hitman in Owen, and one of Spain's brightest attacking talents in Luque.......... and Martins for Roeder - and the same rule should apply to Mort & Ashley. *two 10m+ acquisitions who both saved us from relegation in separate seasons.

It's all good and well for Mort to be media savy by laying out a grand plan off-the-pitch and it's been to his benefit. 'Foundation building' is the right idea and it's what supporters want to hear from a new regime who are trying to earn their stripes from the supporter base. Talk of 'direction' gives supporters hope. Combine this with Ashley seemingly winning over the hearts of some by rolling up to home games draped in a replica shirt.

But you know what it's still 'hot air' to me. The 'foundation building' Mort and Fredbob speak of - ie. The Arsenal Model - will take an even longer before any comparable benefits are reaped in our case when you consider that the well travelled Wenger arrived at Arsenal with his own network of personal contacts in place, in France/Africa and Sth America that is. In our case - ie. scouting networks, contacts etc - at present it's bare bones stuff and i don't think Allardyce has the same resources, from his own experience, in his locker as compared with Wenger and therefore our approach should be balanced ie. The Arsenal Youth Model combined with signing at least one marquee player a season according to departures & team needs.

To borrow a well worn cliche 'Rome wasn't built in a day' but remember Wenger in the infancy of his empire building, when restructuring the already mention foundations/club direction at Arsenal re-youth, was still backed by his board in signing the one marquee attacking midfielder - ie. Bergkamp - who made an immediate impact. Until he does likewise Mort's 'foundation building' talk will stay in the realms of 'hot air' imo.

In relation to how far Mort is prepared to back Allardyce, January remains a litmus test imo.

so we should start planning now to protest 9 months early? and january is the test of any boards buying intentions? yep, ok mate

You're obviously unaware of the bigger picture.

Inactivity in the January transfer market, especially if we take advantage of the upcoming schedule and find ourselves within 6 points of the top six by January which tbh i thought was unlikely at the start of the campaign as i've always rated us as an outside chance at best, will cost us any shot at a European slot. Need positions have already mentioned ie. an 'all-out' centrally operating playmaker/forward, striking cover for Martins' during the African Cup of Nations, and christ we'll be up the proverbial s**** creek should the board cave in to any supposed unrest, provided there is base to reports, re-Owen in January.

If 'damage limitation' moves aren't planned, and they must be on the agenda in Allardyce's mind at least going by quotes of his along the lines "who can we afford to sell", all because of the manager's and chairman's conficting agendas in relation to January spending the resulting inactivity will be classed as a window of missed opportunity akin to the Partizan Summer when the previous board were rightfully lambasted.

I think inactivity in our part, when it comes to certain team needs, will see us dragged towards the bottom 6 by the end of the campaign, as was the case recently when Bellamy's departure wasn't covered when the manager at the time banked on Dyer coming good and duly funneled his then January kitty into the signing of Buomsong. The transfer window pertaining to Buomsong's expensive arrival, when Bellamy's depature wasn't covered, was solely down to poor judgement on the part of the manager. Shepherd backed him, however Souness blew the funds. f*** it took Souness nearly two transfer windows to realise - after blowing another 10m on midfielders Emre and Parker - that he needed both goals and creativity in the final 1/3 of the pitch. Something which Bellamy and Robert both provided, something which Luque - a supposed left sided 'wide-operating forward' - was supposed to deliver.

The Partizan Summer, as a result of one window of complacency on the previous board's part, contributed to us from solidying ourselves as a top-4 side. The squad needed freshening up, and SBR shouldn't escape the firing sqaud either - his negative tactics on the night handed the attacking initiative to the visitors. The coming January window as i said earlier, fpr reasons already mentioned looms as another potential Partizan Window. If the board doesn't back Allardyce, and if there are ramifications as those outlined Mort & Ashley should be stoned........... as Shepherd, the front-man for the Halls, was in the aftermath of the ill-fated Partizan Window.

Inactivity in the January transfer market, especially if we take advantage of the upcoming schedule and find ourselves within 6 points of the top six by January which tbh i thought was unlikely at the start of the campaign as i've always rated us as an outside chance at best, will cost us any shot at a European slot. Need positions have already mentioned ie. an 'all-out' centrally operating playmaker/forward, striking cover for Martins' during the African Cup of Nations, and christ we'll be up the proverbial s**** creek should the board cave in to any supposed unrest, provided there is base to reports, re-Owen in January.

If 'damage limitation' moves aren't planned, and they must be on the agenda in Allardyce's mind at least going by quotes of his along the lines "who can we afford to sell", all because of the manager's and chairman's conficting agendas in relation to January spending the resulting inactivity will be classed as a window of missed opportunity akin to the Partizan Summer when the previous board were rightfully lambasted.

I think inactivity in our part, when it comes to certain team needs, will see us dragged towards the bottom 6 by the end of the campaign, as was the case recently when Bellamy's departure wasn't covered when the manager at the time banked on Dyer coming good and duly funneled his then January kitty into the signing of Buomsong. The transfer window pertaining to Buomsong's expensive arrival, when Bellamy's depature wasn't covered, was solely down to poor judgement on the part of the manager. Shepherd backed him, however Souness blew the funds. f*** it took Souness nearly two transfer windows to realise - after blowing another 10m on midfielders Emre and Parker - that he needed both goals and creativity in the final 1/3 of the pitch. Something which Bellamy and Robert both provided, something which Luque - a supposed left sided 'wide-operating forward' - was supposed to deliver.

The Partizan Summer, as a result of one window of complacency on the previous board's part, contributed to us from solidying ourselves as a top-4 side. The squad needed freshening up, and SBR shouldn't escape the firing sqaud either - his negative tactics on the night handed the attacking initiative to the visitors. The coming January window as i said earlier, fpr reasons already mentioned looms as another potential Partizan Window. If the board doesn't back Allardyce, and if there are ramifications as those outlined Mort & Ashley should be stoned........... as Shepherd, the front-man for the Halls, was in the aftermath of the ill-fated Partizan Window.

This is nothing like the Partizan Window, it's more like the early days of Sir Bobby.  We've just brought in 9 players who need to learn to play together in the same team, bringing in more players will only make this problem worse.  If we can get the right player at the right price then fair enough but we shouldn't buy for the sake of it.

I think we'll have the basis of a good team in the summer, that will be the time to start going for one or two better players.

We've got to build steadily and nobody should be stoned just yet.

so we should start planning now to protest 9 months early? and january is the test of any boards buying intentions? yep, ok mate

you obviously like reading your own writing, thanks for the history lesson, fwiw all i was suggesting is that january is not the be all and end all of assessing a boards intentions, that should be blatantly obvious to anyone who knows a bit about football, as you appear to, or not?

whatever, some people on here just want to prove they know more facts than anyone else, as far as i'm concerned mort and ashley have acted very well since taking over and i'm happy to let them get on with it

anyone who harks back to the shepherd days with fondness needs to have a SERIOUS word with themselves, i dont give a fuck about 'ambition', ambition in the wrong hands can very easily be stupidity, and thats exactly what it turned out to be in our case with an absolutely incompetent cretin running our club, but i dont need to go into it, the FACTS speak for themselves

we're in a results business as is so often said, and WHATEVER you want to say about pre 1992 or any of that does NOT erase the fact that this club PLUMMETED during shepherds reign, he spent money taking us backwards, i just dont see how that can EVER be considered good management, however you dress it up

I may be missing the point as I only read ChezGiven post but we signed Owen in the summer not Jan

We also bought Woodgate in the January, I hope nobody is saying we shouldn't buy a player of that calibre just because its the "wrong time" - a completely absurd view if ever you saw one.

Mate, you're an idiot, I've never known anyone as selective as you. Can you point out anyone in this thread who says we shouldnt sign players of high calibre if available and essential.

It's all about context mate, and the context that most people were trying to imply was that generally speaking, using the January period to try and build a squad isnt the most practical thing to try and do, both business wise, and importantly footballing wise. Not a single person in this thread has said we shouldnt sign any players in the Jan period but that seems to be the context your asserting in your posts.

Without sounding patronizing, do you know the difference between squad strengthening and squad building?

If you see the difference that i do, then you would understand that squad building(i.e adding depth and quality throughout the squad) in January is a bad idea for a number of reasons, whereas squad strengthening (i.e, addressignt the weaknesses of the team) is what is required.

Thats the point im trying to argue anyway.

there's only one idiot here mate.

It doesn't matter a toss when you buy players if they are quality. Re-read your stupid comments.

As for "building a team". It may escape your notice that we have a few pretty good seasons in the last 15 years, with a pretty decent team. You should at all times buy the best quality players you can. Any other suggestion is just plain daft.

I don't think so somehow. I suppose you were desperate to see Shepherd fail just because he called you nasty names ? You certainly appear to think he's been replaced by someone else who think is better on account of buying people a pint and wearing his shirt at games - both actions nothing other than a PR gimmick. We will wait until Ashley hopefully at least equals those Champions League finishes before saying he's even "as good". Well, the sensible people around will anyway.

Edit. There is only one person of the 2 of us who defends the board that ran the club and really failed. BTW.

Ashley isn't the bestest chairman in the whole world, he isn't even chairman.  :lol:

You're desperate to see us fail.  :coolsmiley:

I don't think so somehow. I suppose you were desperate to see Shepherd fail just because he called you nasty names ? You certainly appear to think he's been replaced by someone else who think is better on account of buying people a pint and wearing his shirt at games - both actions nothing other than a PR gimmick. We will wait until Ashley hopefully at least equals those Champions League finishes before saying he's even "as good". Well, the sensible people around will anyway.

if he wiped out the clubs debt,out of his own pocket how would that lie with you ?

you obviously like reading your own writing, thanks for the history lesson, fwiw all i was suggesting is that january is not the be all and end all of assessing a boards intentions, that should be blatantly obvious to anyone who knows a bit about football, as you appear to, or not?

whatever, some people on here just want to prove they know more facts than anyone else, as far as i'm concerned mort and ashley have acted very well since taking over and i'm happy to let them get on with it

anyone who harks back to the shepherd days with fondness needs to have a SERIOUS word with themselves, i dont give a fuck about 'ambition', ambition in the wrong hands can very easily be stupidity, and thats exactly what it turned out to be in our case with an absolutely incompetent cretin running our club, but i dont need to go into it, the FACTS speak for themselves

we're in a results business as is so often said, and WHATEVER you want to say about pre 1992 or any of that does NOT erase the fact that this club PLUMMETED during shepherds reign, he spent money taking us backwards, i just dont see how that can EVER be considered good management, however you dress it up

It's quite ironic that so many people, on an almost daily basis, were screaming at the old board to "splash the cash", then accused them of "being shit" when they did, and now are making every excuse possible for the new owners not to show the desire and ambition to match the top 4 teams, in fact they are backing statements that indicate they are quite happy with a mid table finish. If the old board had said that - which is one thing they never did - they would have been absolutely slaughtered. There are a number of people swallowing these PR gimmicks it would seem.

As for Ashley clearing debts, it is a very good move to clear the debt due to the stadium expansion. He has increased the value of the club enormously by doing that.

As for Ashley clearing debts, it is a very good move to clear the debt due to the stadium expansion. He has increased the value of the club enormously by doing that.

if so does that also mean that shepherd didn't actually back anyone as he wasn't using his own money but building up corporate debt while taking a healthy wedge out ?

if so does that also mean that shepherd didn't actually back anyone as he wasn't using his own money but building up corporate debt while taking a healthy wedge out ?

what are you on about. All the managers bought plenty of players, and we qualified for the CL and europe regularly because of it ?

We;ve had this dividend bit before with macbeth. Shareholders take dividends. Ashley is making the club a financially strong football club but is he prepared to chase success on the pitch and take risks and show ambition. We will never match the top teams until we have players that they want. This is so basic and correct, it is staggering people can't see it.

if he wiped out the clubs debt,out of his own pocket how would that lie with you ?

Spending over 200m of his own cash shows more ambition than getting the club into debt to sign Owen tbh...

It's a shame how some things just get overlooked....

what are you on about. All the managers bought plenty of players, and we qualified for the CL and europe regularly because of it ?

We;ve had this dividend bit before with macbeth. Shareholders take dividends. Ashley is making the club a financially strong football club but is he prepared to chase success on the pitch and take risks and show ambition. We will never match the top teams until we have players that they want. This is so basic and correct, it is staggering people can't see it.

all the managers bought and sold plenty of players. the net spend isn't as high as you'd think.i wonder what the net spend of ashleys first transfer window was compared to those of the previous.

Spending over 200m of his own cash shows more ambition than getting the club into debt to sign Owen tbh...

It's a shame how some things just get overlooked....

i posed it as a rhetorical question