The Mag - Allardyce Interview (Milner)

EthiGeordie

Is Milner a better LW/LWF than Duff or CNZ

As a traditional left winger, in a 4-4-2, yes. Based on what we've seen of them both in that position.

As a left winger/forward in a 4-3-3, who knows? We haven't seen N'Zogbia a whole lot in that position now, have we?

Milner's doing fine as it is, if we change it they'll have to adapt to a whole new thing again == more shit performances for the following period of adjustment. I reckon there's a good possibility N'Zogbia will be used in the middle rather than the left, eventually.

With regards to NE5's earlier point, concerning widemen cutting in - on their un-natural side - to shoot and the fact they need pace. When somebody like Duff comes out of a cut - after using the outside of his right foot to knock it inside, before pivoting with their left creating the explosion off the mark, over the intial 5-10 yard that is - they create a separation cushion  themselves and their defending marker. Combine this 'separation cushion from the marker' with the ground covered at rapid pace when taking into the central corridor and this is what creates the shooting angles on either side of the keeper, and this especially important for a right or left footed winger who is more likely shoot with the inside of their stronger foot when playing on their non-preferred flank.

Milner doesn't create the above mentioned shooting angles on the back of his ball dribbling and the inside-cutting', and as a result there isn't much in the way of shots on target on a regular basis which is of course needed when reading Allardyce's job description for what he wants on the left flank/Milner. When Milner cuts inside his shooting appears rushed & his efforts on goal are generally more speculative as opposed to somebody who can attack the central corridor - ie. just outside the box - with pace, and this is because he doesn't create the separation cushion & the shooting angles and that extra split second of time if he frequently had a defender left in his wake.

Getting back to HTT's point with regards to Milner 'excelling on the left at Leeds'. Milner was always more dangerous when he drifted inside slightly - off the ball that is - and turned his man with his 1st touch, off his marker's inside shoulder. His first career goal was a classic example. He turns his man with his 1st touch, and he's already on the outside edge of the central corridor within his long distance shooting zone. Along with the delivery to feet but also the first touch has to be spot on, and the defending marker has to overcommit. Too many variables have to go in the team's way in order to have goal production out on the left, courtesy of a Milner orientated left flank.

Although it's the right-sided version i've always maintained that 'Duff on the right' is the better option, the better 'cut-in & shoot' option. Duff has the attributes - ie. he cut-ins on a dime, and  he creates the above mentioned 'separation cushion' with his pace off the mark - hence hec hold down the fort on the right, and with it provide the sort of option Allardyce wants on one flank.

With this Zoggy should be restored to the left. It's a bloody shame to see his invaluable attribute of being able to ghost his way into the box off-the-ball, and he knows how to find the ball in scoring positions in & around the box as well, because he's postioned too deep when playing at LB.

5-10 goals a season from a natural left-sided winger, who provides a dual threat on & off the ball when compared with somebody who doesn't deliver an awful lot as per Big Sam's job description in relation to Milner. It'a a non-argument, and as Wullie says it's becoming hair pulling stuff.

Being 2-1 down to a pile of shit with 20 minutes to go was enough for Sam the Bullshitter to alter Milners left wing role to right wing - obviously to accomodate Duff on his return.

Which would now suggest that yesterday barring injury to Duff is the last we'll see of Milner this season - especially as Martins excelled beyond expectation in his right wing role yesterday.

Sam really IS as pathetic a cunt as I've seen.

It should be Martins losing his place to Enrique if we continue to persist with 433.

yes i can't wait to see N'Zogbia, Smith and Milner up front together. i wonder if the three of them would even reach a dozen goals combined in a season.

12 is a bit much but I reckon they could get at least 8 between them.

A question - Can those anti Sammers  who describe him as pathetic,  a c***,  clueless, a bulsh1tter etc provide a realistic list of replacements who would be guaranteed to do a better job? I'm not trying to be too confrontational here   :angel: I am genuinely interested in who people think 1) would accept the job if offered it and 2)  would definitely do a better job and 3) why you are sure they would do better. If you want to turn the clock back a few months to the time he was appointed and look at the same questions thats fine as well.   

I still don't get how a right footed player is supposed to be better on the left.

How about Messi, a left footed player who is supposed to be better on the right?

Another example, Pires.

Exceptions to the rule, otherwise every player would play on the 'wrong' side of the pitch.

Guest ObaStar

philip lahm is a right footed player who plays extremely successfully at left back. It makes him a more offensive player. With Milner on the left it gives us another option to crossing and makes defenders stay on their toes as he can still put in a decent cross with the left foot.

philip lahm is a right footed player who plays extremely successfully at left back. It makes him a more offensive player. With Milner on the left it gives us another option to crossing and makes defenders stay on their toes as he can still put in a decent cross with the left foot.

Fair point, but as he's 99/100 prone to check back on himself to get the ball on his right side to cross he's lost any space that he had as by then he's been closed down, he then tries to check left, then right etc to shake hime off but by this time the plays all slowed down and we've lost most of the advantage we might have had in the first place.

If he was on the right to start with he wouldn't have to check back as he should be able to cross the ball 1st time before he's allowed the defender to get tight on him. Someone, I think, said that as he's got no real pace he's better off on the left, I'd say this lack of genuine pace makes it even more essential that he's able to have the opportunity to cross 1st time by coming onto the ball using his right peg. Also, as he can occasionally cross with his left, then that could be as equal an option on the right as on the left.

Surely the issue is not whether Milner can play left wing but why he isn't playing right wing when we have no right wingers and have a superb talent in N'Zogbia for the left?

Can anyone honestly say they believe we are playing our best and most potent formation with Zog at left back, Milner at left wing and either Smith or Martins on the right?

Surely the issue is not whether Milner can play left wing but why he isn't playing right wing when we have no right wingers and have a superb talent in N'Zogbia for the left?

Can anyone honestly say they believe we are playing our best and most potent formation with Zog at left back, Milner at left wing and either Smith or Martins on the right?

Exactly, we're not making the best use of our players.

The best formation is Charles at left back, Duff at left wing and Milner at right.

I still don't get how a right footed player is supposed to be better on the left.

How about Messi, a left footed player who is supposed to be better on the right?

Another example, Pires.

Exceptions to the rule, otherwise every player would play on the 'wrong' side of the pitch.

Ronaldihno manages

Another example, Pires.

Ronaldihno manages

Ronaldihno, Lahm, Messi, Maldini and Milner...................anyone care to spot the odd one out?

Guest Brewcastle

Another example, Pires.

Ronaldihno manages

Ronaldihno, Lahm, Messi, Maldini and Milner...................anyone care to spot the odd one out?

-Ask Sam  :lol:

A question - Can those anti Sammers  who describe him as pathetic,  a c***,  clueless, a bulsh1tter etc provide a realistic list of replacements who would be guaranteed to do a better job? I'm not trying to be too confrontational here   :angel: I am genuinely interested in who people think 1) would accept the job if offered it and 2)  would definitely do a better job and 3) why you are sure they would do better. If you want to turn the clock back a few months to the time he was appointed and look at the same questions thats fine as well.   

I see this question has a thread of its own now - so er yeehaw like... O0