The Mag - Allardyce Interview (Milner)

EthiGeordie

Putting it another way, when we were having a poor run of results a lot of fans would like to have seen you trying James Milner on the right wing and Charlie on the left wing?

But JM doesn't play on the right. so lets put that to bed once and for all. He loves playing on the leftand he's more effective. he has a natural tendancy to jink back and so if he did that on the right he'd be going back onto his weaker foot. He can play down the right bt in general he provides better balls in when he's on the left. Charles can play in many positions and the reason he's playing there for us is that he makes us a far more attacking team than we would if we played a defensive left back but at the moment we haven't got one.

Why isn't CNZ used further up?

Enrique isn't ready. Can't buy players from abroad and expect...blah blah roza, beye , cacapa.

Putting it another way, when we were having a poor run of results a lot of fans would like to have seen you trying James Milner on the right wing and Charlie on the left wing?

But JM doesn't play on the right. so lets put that to bed once and for all. He loves playing on the leftand he's more effective. he has a natural tendancy to jink back and so if he did that on the right he'd be going back onto his weaker foot. He can play down the right bt in general he provides better balls in when he's on the left. Charles can play in many positions and the reason he's playing there for us is that he makes us a far more attacking team than we would if we played a defensive left back but at the moment we haven't got one.

Why isn't CNZ used further up?

Enrique isn't ready. Can't buy players from abroad and expect...blah blah roza, beye , cacapa.

Fair bit more experience tbf, I bet they have all played 10 times as many games as Enrique has in their careers.

Guest Wally_McFool

But JM doesn't play on the right. so lets put that to bed

Well exfuckinscuse me Sam, you big daft wallybrains but he used to, and he was pretty good out there anarl!

Hopefuly he will bring one in during January.

Guest Knightrider

Well exfuckinscuse me Sam, you big daft wallybrains but he used to, and he was pretty good out there anarl!

Made his name at Leeds on the left and has played there more times for England under 21s than he has on the right and pretty soon he'll have played more times on the left than on the right for us too. I agree with the manager and think he makes a great point regarding jinking back which on the right would mean he's using his weaker foot where as on the left he's using his stronger foot. Furthermore with N'Zogbia behind him we now have a strong and diverse left-flank which let me remind you tore into Arsenal's very own strong right-flank and to good effect. Just because the right-flank isn't very good doesn't mean we should take Milner away from there to the right, that would even the two flanks up. Give me one strong flank over none.

Made his name at Leeds on the left and has played there more times for England under 21s than he has on the right and pretty soon he'll have played more times on the left than on the right for us too. I agree with the manager and think he makes a great point regarding jinking back which on the right would mean he's using his weaker foot where as on the left he's using his stronger foot. Furthermore with N'Zogbia behind him we now have a strong and diverse left-flank which let me remind you tore into Arsenal's very own strong right-flank and to good effect. Just because the right-flank isn't very good doesn't mean we should take Milner away from there to the right, that would even the two flanks up. Give me one strong flank over none.

Or we could have two strong flanks? Just a thought like.

I've seen players play on the "wrong" side before and do well, but only if they have pace ...

It is the tactic often used by clubs who struggle to score as it means the two out wide are always cutting in to shoot on there stronger foot. I remember when Peter Reid had Michael Grey playing right midfield :cheesy: Kranjar plays on the left for Pompey & iirc he is right footed & Ginola could whack a ball with his right.

For me, Milner doesn't really have much in his locker. He's just a player with a great attitude who crosses the ball. Because of this, he needs to whip his crosses in quickly and early, like Nobby Solano and Beckham, 2 other players who didn't have pace. He won't do that with his left foot, so his only chance of becoming a good player - or a better player - is to become better at this IMO.

I concede he will score the odd goal, or get the odd cross in from the byline against a full back who is one paced like himself. Not enough though.

pointless if we don't have the forwards there. the way we play means viduka needs pace to get there,martins cannot read play well enough and owen can and does do it but only when fit. no matter how good the cross is if you do it when you know there is no-one there then it's deliberatly giving the ball away (robert in his latter days done it all the time--fantastic crosses when he had looked up and saw there wasn't anyone there)

give me a scott sellars any day. wasn't fast by any stretch and didn't have to go outside but had the strange idea of passing to players on his team, ably assisted by players moving into space..............it's a simple game really.

I take your point, but I'm looking at Milner and his attributes. Wouldn't you say that viduka flatters to deceive, he's not here long term, and so we want someone who will attack the cross better than he does ?

Guest Knightrider

I have more faith in N'Zogbia and Milner than Enrique and N'Zogbia at the moment. If we had a decent right-winger, Milner on the left wouldn't even be an issue in my opinion.

Is he saying he doesn't want Enrique now ?

I can see the point of hitting balls bending towards the goal at set pieces, but not in general play so much, you need to get behind defenders and turn them.

I have more faith in N'Zogbia and Milner than Enrique and N'Zogbia at the moment. If we had a decent right-winger, Milner on the left wouldn't even be an issue in my opinion.

Do you think he would ever play 433 without the front 3 made up with at least 2 strikers?

On what grounds?

No it wouldn't be an issue, N'Zogbia should be there, Milner or not.

Guest Knightrider

On what grounds?

Why should he be in there automatically? He's actually performing as good as he has done for us at left-back, he has 3 goals and as a duo him and Milner are forming quite an understanding down that flank. Because Milner isn't naturally left-footed, is that why N'Zogbia should be in there?

On what grounds?

Why should he be in there automatically? He's actually performing as good as he has done for us at left-back, he has 3 goals and as a duo him and Milner are forming quite an understanding down that flank. Because Milner isn't naturally left-footed, is that why N'Zogbia should be in there?

N'Zogbia's not performing anywhere near as well as he has for us, that's rubbish. He should be on the left wing because he's the best left winger we have by a mile. Our best attacking threat at LB has me pulling my hair out.

In what way are they developing an understanding exactly? Two half decent games against Birmingham and Arsenal, in which they created not an awful lot? Great.

Guest Knightrider

On what grounds?

N'Zogbia's not performing anywhere near as well as he has for us, that's rubbish. He should be on the left wing because he's the best left winger we have by a mile. Our best attacking threat at LB has me pulling my hair out.

In what way are they developing an understanding exactly? Two half decent games against Birmingham and Arsenal, in which they created not an awful lot? Great.

You need to look beyond the individual and think more about the team Wullie in some cases and where Milner and N'Zogbia are concerned I feel this is one such case. Just because he's our best winger doesn't automatically mean playing him there will be best for the team. If you play Milner on the right he's going to struggle more often than not where as Enrique and N'Zogbia isn't guaranteed to work. I think the two have played well together and are just starting to click, or rather that side is. I don't want to see it broken up over some daft argument about playing players in their natural positions not when we don't really have that luxury throughout the team anyway. I rate Owen higher than Martins as a striker but I'd have Martins ahead of him all the time as he's better for the team overall in there. Same applies with Milner and Zoggy down the left.

You need to look beyond the individual and think more about the team Wullie in some cases and where Milner and N'Zogbia are concerned I feel this is one such case. Just because he's our best winger doesn't automatically mean playing him there will be best for the team. If you play Milner on the right he's going to struggle more often than not where as Enrique and N'Zogbia isn't guaranteed to work. I think the two have played well together and are just starting to click, or rather that side is. I don't want to see it broken up over some daft argument about playing players in their natural positions not when we don't really have that luxury throughout the team anyway. I rate Owen higher than Martins as a striker but I'd have Martins ahead of him all the time as he's better for the team overall in there. Same applies with Milner and Zoggy down the left.

Please don't patronise me Chris.

Playing Charlie at left back and Milner in front of him, the team creates nowt. Zilch. Zero. Teams who aren't shite like Fulham and Birmingham will score once and that's job done.

Playing Charlie at left back and Milner in front of him, the team creates nowt. Zilch. Zero. Teams who aren't shite like Fulham and Birmingham will score once and that's job done.

Like Arsenal?  :razz:

Like Arsenal?  :razz:

Well, as long as we keep relying on our centre backs to save us because our striker is scared to shoot, we're laughing.

It should be Martins losing his place to Enrique if we continue to persist with 433.

yes i can't wait to see N'Zogbia, Smith and Milner up front together. i wonder if the three of them would even reach a dozen goals combined in a season.

It should be Martins losing his place to Enrique if we continue to persist with 433.

yes i can't wait to see N'Zogbia, Smith and Milner up front together. i wonder if the three of them would even reach a dozen goals combined in a season.

I'm sure Butt or Barton can bang in at least 10. :rolleyes:

Agreed - ask the Villa fans what they think...