Newcastle United 2 - 2 Derby - 23/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

James

Martins passing has been woeful..given the ball away 3 times in a row now...If he's going to start on the right he needs to look like he wants to run at the cd's every time to keep them guessing...Not chopping in shit crosses etc...He really isn't contributing much at all.

Best players so far imo Smith and Zoggy.

Martins has done little wrong. He's looked quite good - got himself into proper winger's positions, helped Beye out quite a lot and Butt/Milner have picked him out a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score today, Martins.

Smith's not done much at all imo.

Smith does a lot it's just that when he goes near the ball people shut their eyes.

Anyone notice how improved our counter-attacking is?

Two words: Mark Viduka.

He's there, about ten yards outside our own box, every set piece that Derby have. Getting the ball and turning opposing on-rushing players with ease and laying it off. Like i say, it's a shame Barton (and the whichever other central players are there at the time) can't receive a pass consistently.

We've been very comfortable every time Derby have come into our half, other than the fecking goal which was just shoddy.

Also, the number of players we've had in the final third with the ball regularly under our control in that area is insane.

Bodes well for the second half if that continues.

If still level at 60 minutes, I'd bring on Duff and Emre for Martins and Viduka.

We've looked quality at times in this half. At other times we've been frustrating as fuck. That goal at the start, fucking hell, doesn't make sense at all - fucking shocking marking and no closing down whatsoever. We should be 2, 3-0 up ffs.

N'Zogbia - mint player, he's fucking everywhere. Superb for that fifteen minute period where we really went for it. Milner's done well on the left. Butt's having a great game too, winning everything. Martins has done alright out there actually, wouldn't be against seeing him go into the centre though, with Smith being taken off. Would be a hell of a re-shuffle though by the looks of things. Good finish from Viduka.

We're letting ourselves down though. Barton makes Martins' touch look exceptional. Barton's looked alright when he's on the ball, around the edge of the box, but he can't receive a fucking pass.

We really should wrap this up in the second half.

agree mostly. best players n'zogbia, viduka, martins. Viduka has shown some sublime and delicate touches and his movement looks way better now he's playing 4-4-2 with 3 or 4 options buzzing around him. dropping deep and spreadingthe play really well, tho you'd ideally prefer barton to be doing more of this but he's been poor. martins looking suprisingly comfortable out wide tho he's looked more dangerous when we've kept possession upfield and he's had a chance to get into the box, for his two chances. agree about smith, not the best of games tho he did well to keep the ball inbetween his legs as long as he did when it spilled to viduka. n'zogbia has basicaly got a free role down the left, doubling up with milner and also cutting inside, tho as a result barnes has sneaked behind on a couple of occasions. defence is ok, not much to deal with, this derby side is pathetic, very little quality. cacapa has been a bit shaky tho, misjudging the bounce a few times.

Us looking okay has more to do with Derby being s***, rather than us performing.

We would struggle against any of the teams ahead of us on the table if we performed like this.

Their positioning in this half has been shocking

Anyone notice how improved our counter-attacking is?

Two words: Mark Viduka.

He's there, about ten yards outside our own box, every set piece that Derby have. Getting the ball and turning opposing on-rushing players with ease and laying it off. Like i say, it's a shame Barton (and the whichever other central players are there at the time) can't receive a pass consistently.

We've been very comfortable every time Derby have come into our half, other than the fecking goal which was just shoddy.

Must say, Viduka was poor in the opening few minutes but he's been feeling his way into the game and finished very impressively.

Also, the number of players we've had in the final third with the ball regularly under our control in that area is insane.

If still level at 60 minutes, I'd bring on Duff and Emre for Martins and Viduka.

Duff who hasn't played for 7 months for our top scorer and Emre for Viduka who has been decent?

Emre for Barton please.

Us looking okay has more to do with Derby being s***, rather than us performing.

We would struggle against any of the teams ahead of us on the table if we performed like this.

Don't agree with that whatsoever. You can only play what's infront of you. This game is practically a re-run of Birmingham at this rate, we were playing this well against Arsenal aswell.

Just a stupid poxy goal at the start.

Duff who hasn't played for 7 months for our top scorer and Emre for Viduka who has been decent?

Emre for Barton please.

I cant see Viduka maintaining his high level of performance over 90 minutes.

We need to restart quickly to get the best out of him.

I think we've been okay, it's quite obviously showing that we are the better team technically. We just need to learn how to handle the physical pressure of Derby. Our attacking has been okay-decent, Derby have been frantically blocking with numbers and we were unlucky a number of times (notably the blatant penalty and Martin's header being blocked off the line) but our defence has been poor. In this case I do agree, us only consceding one goal is down to Derby being crap not us being good. But attack-wise we've actually been alright.

Don't agree with that whatsoever. You can only play what's infront of you. This game is practically a re-run of Birmingham at this rate, we were playing this well against Arsenal aswell.

Just a stupid poxy goal at the start.

We've been okay, we just need to learn how to handle the physical pressure being put on us by Derby. We've been decent attack-wise, and we've been unlucky on a number of occasions (notably the blatant penalty and Martins' header being cleared off the line). But I agree that in Defence, it is more of a case of being them poor not us being good. Our defence has been horrid, most teams would have scored more on us. But attack-wise we've been okay.

Martins passing has been woeful..given the ball away 3 times in a row now...If he's going to start on the right he needs to look like he wants to run at the cd's every time to keep them guessing...Not chopping in s*** crosses etc...He really isn't contributing much at all.

Best players so far imo Smith and Zoggy.

Martins has done little wrong. He's looked quite good - got himself into proper winger's positions, helped Beye out quite a lot and Butt/Milner have picked him out a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score today, Martins.

Smith's not done much at all imo.

Smith does a lot it's just that when he goes near the ball people shut their eyes.

Strange how people can view things so differently. I'm with Yorkie on this one: Martins has done relatively well playing as a right winger. Smith hasn't done anything at all. I'm not even sure what his position is supposed to be and what he is supposed to contribute..

Guest The Libertine

you'd take our 2 strikers off when we are going for the win?

Not too bothered about their goal as it was a nice finish but overall we've done fine against an ugly Derby side.

Only thing I've been quite disappointed with is our set pieces, Zog has failed to deliver on a number of occasions. I can see Emre coming on for Barton on 70 minutes to tidy up the midfield a bit, which has been pretty messy at times.

Oba has done well on the wing but people shouldn't expect miracles from a striker playing out of position. Playing Viduka in amongst their defenders is a good idea as he only needs half a chance to show his skill and score.

COME ON THE TOON!