Obafemi Martins

Kev

He was very poor today, doesn't look like the same enigmatic exciting player of last season. Hardly surprising when the poor bugger is a left footed centre forward playing on the right wing. :lol: It'd be funny if it wasn't tragic.

What you fail to realise, Wullsten, is that the game has never been so cat and mouse. It's a game of chess now more than ever. So what if Martins isn't a winger? I want hard-working wide players, not wingers.

He's not a proper player like. Get City of London nick on the phone, see what they want for Amdy Faye.

I wouldn't mind trying to get back Andy Griffin in January and giving him a run out on the right, not only does he get stuck in but he scored past Juventus. Proper player.

He was very poor today, doesn't look like the same enigmatic exciting player of last season. Hardly surprising when the poor bugger is a left footed centre forward playing on the right wing. :lol: It'd be funny if it wasn't tragic.

What you fail to realise, Wullsten, is that the game has never been so cat and mouse. It's a game of chess now more than ever. So what if Martins isn't a winger? I want hard-working wide players, not wingers.

He's not a proper player like. Get City of London nick on the phone, see what they want for Amdy Faye.

I wouldn't mind trying to get back Andy Griffin in January and giving him a run out on the right, not only does he get stuck in but he scored past Juventus. Proper player.

Chipped in with a second a few days later against Charlton. He was on FIRE that week :lol:

So may typical responses. yes Martins didn't do much, but the lad can't play on the right. He needs either through balls from a creative CM so he can get behind the defence or crosses for his salmon leap like header and he ain't gonna get any of that playing on the right. What irritates me is instead of analysing why he is not playing well, people just post lazy comments like he has a touch of a rapist. Bollocks! didn't have one poor touch today, in fact I thought he brought the ball down under control well on quite a few occassions today.

The problem is, he also doesn't look good when playing Viduka's role.

I simply cannot figure out how to use Martins tbh.

Get him out the door and get some cash back?

A swap for Berbatov would do me canny like  O0

Guest Knightrider

Martins is a good player but not quite good enough for a club like us in the position he plays in. We need more from a striker than just goals and the odd good game. I suspect the manager thinks the same too.

As I said on another thread yesterday - would swap Martins for Ashton if someone could only get Curbishley drunk enough to agree to the deal...!

:thup:

I'd do the same with Owen too.

If we want to play 4-3-3 Ashton is the man for the job IMO.

I like Ashton but I would worry about him getting injured. Maybe a little early to call him a crock but he has picked up a few long termers (is that even a word) in his fairly short career so far.

For all his faults Martins seems to be made of strong stuff....... like that Bernard fella was, what is he up to these days?  :laugh:

Martins is a good player but not quite good enough for a club like us in the position he plays in. We need more from a striker than just goals and the odd good game. I suspect the manager thinks the same too.

We need more from a left footed striker than the ability to play wide right, I know that. I keep asking myself why Torres isn't playing left wing.

I like Ashton but I would worry about him getting injured. Maybe a little early to call him a crock but he has picked up a few long termers (is that even a word) in his fairly short career so far.

For all his faults Martins seems to be made of strong stuff....... like that Bernard fella was, what is he up to these days?  :laugh:

falling off a bar stool in Sens while trying to convince the drunk next to him that he once got a motm award against Internazionale

Guest Knightrider

We need more from a left footed striker than the ability to play wide right, I know that. I keep asking myself why Torres isn't playing left wing.

We need more of everything from Martins in terms of all-round play on and off the ball regardless of where he plays and we don't often get that. I like the player and rate his ability to grab goals but he's not the answer now or ever.

We need more of everything from Martins in terms of all-round play on and off the ball regardless of where he plays and we don't often get that. I like the player and rate his ability to grab goals but he's not the answer now or ever.

Not on the right wing, no.

Guest Knightrider

Not anywhere. I agree though that sticking him on the right flank is doing him nor the team any good.

Not anywhere. I agree though that sticking him on the right flank is doing him nor the team any good.

Not anywhere, give your head a shake man. The lad's being fucked about with, like most of our quality players. Mainly in order to accomdate Alan Smith as far as I can see.

Guest Knightrider

Not anywhere, give your head a shake man. The lad's being fucked about with, like most of our quality players. Mainly in order to accomdate Alan Smith as far as I can see.

Aye not anywhere because I don't think he's good enough as we need more than what he can give us, whether it be up front or out wide. Especially long-term.

Not anywhere, give your head a shake man. The lad's being f***** about with, like most of our quality players. Mainly in order to accomdate Alan Smith as far as I can see.

Aye not anywhere because I don't think he's good enough as we need more than what he can give us, whether it be up front or out wide. Especially long-term.

Certainly contributes more than some players who you advocate. You just trying to be argumentative cos some of the stuff you've said lately has made no sense at all?

For me Martins is what he is, an quick striker with a very good snap shot. Given consistant games he will get 15 goals no bother. Our problem is that we fanny about playing him in different positions that dont suit his qualities.

Guest Knightrider

Not anywhere, give your head a shake man. The lad's being f***** about with, like most of our quality players. Mainly in order to accomdate Alan Smith as far as I can see.

Certainly contributes more than some players who you advocate. You just trying to be argumentative cos some of the stuff you've said lately has made no sense at all?

He contributes goals but when he isn't scoring goals he doesn't do an awful lot and I feel this hinders our game as much as Big Sam's tactics hinder Martins' game. I actually thought moving him out wide could maybe bring his game on more or make him a far more effective player for us but that hasn't happened, he looks clueless regardless of what role he's playing.

Guest jcricthon

Use him in a 4 - 4 - 2 to partner Viduka. Zoggy on the left, Milner on the right.

Exactly right...but why cant the fat stubborn bar-steward see this?

I saw martins pulling up outside his gaff at 2am on the morning after the wigan game, couple of birds in his motor, looked like he was in for a roast dinner!

the arse shouldnt have been out on the town at such a time the morning after such a pap performace, if i was him i would have been ashamed to show my face!!

He could be so good, watching those Chelsea highlights again you can see how much pace he has. The chance where Butt just placed it through, he was level with Alex at half way but by the time he had reached the ball (this is also after slowing down so he could go on to his left) he was yards ahead of Alex who is also a pretty nippy CB himself. You just feel though if he could just do that 3/4 times every game he would get a goal at least. You can see why he might not do it now as we have no creativity through the midfield but if we bought a Diego or a D'allessandro in January he might start to do it, which would be massively beneficial.