Alan Smith

tmonkey

The doom and gloom x10 comment about Smith costing the best part of £15m.

It's a statement of fact.

Doom and gloom would be saying that Smith is the AntiChrist.

If stating a fact like, Alan Smith signed for us, is doom mongering then it's clearly a reflection on just how depressing a character you feel he's been for us.  Which means, subconsciously, you must share Colocho's opinion. :p

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't share the opinion that we spent the best part of £15m on Smith. Also think the despair over the level of his ability is overstated on this forum too.

The doom and gloom x10 comment about Smith costing the best part of £15m.

Doom and gloom would be saying that Smith is the AntiChrist.

If stating a fact like, Alan Smith signed for us, is doom mongering then it's clearly a reflection on just how depressing a character you feel he's been for us.  Which means, subconsciously, you must share Colocho's opinion. :p

Is it? You have proof Smith has cost us £15m then?

I don't share the opinion that we spent the best part of £15m on Smith. Also think the despair over the level of his ability is overstated on this forum too.

4 years on what, £50,000 a week?  That's £10.4m.

Transfer fee of £6m.  That's a total of £16.4m on wages and transfer alone, leaving aside any bonuses etc.

So, unless I'm missing something, that's not really an opinion, but that's fact.

And perhaps the despair is overrated, but the lad's been a disappointment on the whole.

4 years on what, £50,000 a week?  That's £10.4m.

Transfer fee of £6m.  That's a total of £16.4m on wages and transfer alone, leaving aside any bonuses etc.

So, unless I'm missing something, that's not really an opinion, but that's fact.

And perhaps the despair is overrated, but the lad's been a disappointment on the whole.

Hmm.

4 years on what, £50,000 a week?  That's £10.4m.

Transfer fee of £6m.  That's a total of £16.4m on wages and transfer alone, leaving aside any bonuses etc.

Hmm.

I've been generous with the £50k a week wages.  They're rumoured to be more.

Transfer fee is a fact.  It was disclosed at the time.

If we're taking these widely-distributed figures as nothing more than 'doom mongering', then Michael Owen joined us for a packet of hobnobs and played for a free horse every week.

???

Sorry, I assumed that you putting my figures in bold coupled with the word 'fact' implied that you were disagreeing with the figures I'd quoted?

I was. I'm perplexed but the last sentence. I wasn't commenting on 'doom mongering' at all, I was simply pointing out yet again someone on this forum plucking a random figure out of the air and pretending they know the ins and outs of our wage structure.

???

Sorry, I assumed that you putting my figures in bold coupled with the word 'fact' implied that you were disagreeing with the figures I'd quoted?

I was. I'm perplexed but the last sentence. I wasn't commenting on 'doom mongering' at all, I was simply pointing out yet again someone on this forum plucking a random figure out of the air and pretending they know the ins and outs of our wage structure.

The wage for Smith for the past four years has been constantly quoted at around £60k.

The club have never refuted that at any point, as far as I am aware.

It was been alluded to by other players that in the era Smith was signed, people were signed on extremely high wages.  Smith, a former Manchester United and England player, was likely to have been signed on something around that figure.

To be fair, and to make my estimate more conservative, I cut his wages by £10k a week.

I don't think he's likely to be on £40k or less, because it wouldn't fit with we do know from player interviews and manager interviews about the previous wage structure of the club.

I don't know how I can be fairer than that other than simply ignoring his wages as being ill-evidenced.  Which I personally don't believe they are.

But feel free to disagree entirely.

???

The wage for Smith for the past four years has been constantly quoted at around £60k.

It was been alluded to by other players that in the era Smith was signed, people were signed on extremely high wages.  Smith, a former Manchester United and England player, was likely to have been signed on something around that figure.

To be fair, and to make my estimate more conservative, I cut his wages by £10k a week.

I don't think he's likely to be on £40k or less, because it wouldn't fit with we do know from player interviews and manager interviews about the previous wage structure of the club.

I don't know how I can be fairer than that other than simply ignoring his wages as being ill-evidenced.  Which I personally don't believe they are.

Thanks for proving my point :laugh:

Apparently McCoist is interested in him.

He can be as interested as he wants. Fact remains that Rangers can't afford him - not even if he went on a free.

Afford him? Surely it's a case of how much we can offer them to take him!!

It clearly isn't know as fact by us what his wages and transfer fee were, although I've always thought he cost £6m-£7m, but surely it makes sense that he most likely has cost us the better part of £15m for his services. He was signed from a top club at a time when the club made mistakes with transfers and paid over the odds.

Even if he was on £30k, and cost just under £4m, he's still cost £10m in total, which for what we've got out of him, is insane.

???

Thanks for proving my point :laugh:

It remains a fact he's cost us around £15m, whether or not the figures were to the penny accurate.

If you can find evidence to the contrary, which suggests my figures are incorrect, then please do so.