Alan Smith

tmonkey

You just know he's going to play tonight. Milner's injured so Smith will be given that right-wing role he's so adept at filling. Based on all the games Keegan has been in charge since his return, how can he not possibly look to try Viduka-Martins ahead of both of them? I'm trying to see Keegan in a positive light but it's getting horribly difficult. Perhaps after another 0-3 tonight with Smith managing one shot into the crowd he might realise, but I'm not holding my breath. I look away every time he has the ball. Maybe if we all did that live, observing an eerie silence at SJP and away grounds, somebody would get the message. Or something. Oh God just get Alan Smith out of my team.

It's getting to the point of no return for a few of Keegan's regulars IMO. We can take getting tanked by Liverpool and Man U, but in the next couple of games, Smith, Butt, Barton, Owen and Duff will need to show that Keegan has been right in relying on the 100%'ers. So far they've been 100% shite but all will be forgiven if they step up tonight and next week.

Guest icemanblue

I still stand by my view that he has a clause in his contract saying he must play.

Mate, there isn't any other logical explanation!

Guest Brewcastle

I have thought about what have happend to Smith after arriving NUFC.  One theory is:

Smith did score many goals for ManUtd with picking up clearances from the opponents after aggressive ManUtd-attacks and shots .

But our players is to slow in attacks and have few shots. That gives Smith less chances to score from what he's used to in ManUtd.

-Thinking about it..... How many goals have our opponents scored after clearences from the Toon-defence? :crazy2:

When NUFC starts to play a more attacking football (and Kev is working with it), we'll maybe see a new side of Smith. But I 've lost much of my patient with him. So it have to happen soon.

I still stand by my view that he has a clause in his contract saying he must play.

Which is more damaging, the wrath of Alan Smith and his agent for not playing him or NUFC being relegated because we keep playing Alan Smith? I think the club would choose to drop Smith. Unfortunately it would seem to be Keegan's fault that Smith keeps playing.

I have thought about what have happend to Smith after arriving NUFC.  One theory is:

Smith did score many goals for ManUtd with picking up clearances from the opponents after aggressive ManUtd-attacks and shots.

Man U record is 10 goals in 2004-05 (31 appearances), 1 goal in 2005-06 (21 appearances) and 1 goal in 2006-07 (9 appearances).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith

Which is more damaging, the wrath of Alan Smith and his agent for not playing him or NUFC being relegated because we keep playing Alan Smith? I think the club would choose to drop Smith. Unfortunately it would seem to be Keegan's fault that Smith keeps playing.

I agree it's silly to suggest there is any clause, it's also totally unenforceable as if he was dropped the player would not be crazy to take any action as if it came out it would be totally damging to his reputation.

I think it is as simple as KK being blinded by the myth that Smith is a decent player, believing all the hype. Smith always talks a good game too, he sounds very much like someone who cares and that's the sort of person that KK probably feels he needs in the team right now.

There's also a remote posibility that both KK and SA want to keep the boss happy. Ashley was very public in wearing Smith's number on the back of his shirt when he fist took over.

He's not untouchable :D

Hopefully everyone shuts the fuck up about this clause bollocks now.

In retrospect, it shows just how shit he is that a theory about a clause forcing him into the first team seemed so plausible.

-or-

The clause says he has to be named in the squad at all times.  :frantic:

In retrospect, it shows just how shit he is that a theory about a clause forcing him into the first team seemed so plausible.

-or-

The clause says he has to play.  He'll come off the bench.

[/itk]

I don't necassarily think it's bollocks, tbh.

-or-

[/itk]

-or-

[/itk]

I was just winding Dave up tbh.

>:D

-or-

[/itk]

I was just winding Dave up tbh.

>:D

Well i thought there was potentially a bit of truth in it. It can happen nowadays in Premiership football, especially with all the egos and the money involved. But last night probably confirmed it was rubbish.

Guest Brewcastle

[

I have thought about what have happend to Smith after arriving NUFC.  One theory is:

Smith did score some goals for ManUtd with picking up clearances from the opponents after aggressive ManUtd-attacks and shots.

Man U record is 10 goals in 2004-05 (31 appearances), 1 goal in 2005-06 (21 appearances) and 1 goal in 2006-07 (9 appearances).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith

Sorry.

It should have been "some" instead of "many"  :lol:. Anyway 2004-2005 Smith scored as many goals as Owen and Zoggy have together so far in this season.

Anyway. Something have to be done. The Smith-story can't continue as it has at Toon. Any change is welcome