Alan Smith

tmonkey

What the hell is this business with people coming out with stuff like Healy, Lita and Nugent? ??? I thought the idea of signing another striker was to get one that would be first choice, knocking everyone else (namely Viduka) one slot down the starting ladder? Not letting one gash player go, and signing a brand new fourth choice...

Darren Bent please. :smug:

Because when you've spent £26m on your first 3 choice strikers, paying them combined probably in excess of £200k a week...logistically it might not be possible.

:lol: Aye, i know - i've been preaching that for a while. I'm just confused at the sudden change of forum mentality. I though everyone was after a Viduka replacement!

can't believe people are comparing nugent to bellamy, two very different players with different attitudes and ability

we need someone who is hardworking and hungry, as a previous poster said, someone who is young would fit this bill as they have something to prove

tbh, if smith leaves, i think we will struggle to get any strikers in as i don't think they were prepared for it, and its taken us ages to get some defenders in and that was top of the bill

with andy johnson leaving, it gives everton abit more money to sign both moutinho and a little left over possibly for a backup striker...aka smith

lets hope!

If that was aimed at my post, read it again and point out where I compared Nugent and Bellamy as players

im not really aiming it at anyone/thing... ive just skim read the past couple of pages and seen the word bellamy and nugent mentioned..don't take it serious man!   :thup:

maybe i should of re-phrased it but anyway refering to what you said in your post, i don't think he would be a bellamy catalyst simply because of the attitude and nature is very different in both players

If we refuse to sell Smith we are mental, I never thought any club would want to take him off us, its a deal we need, gets him off the pay role and lets face it we are not going to miss him even if he is not replaced.

Well if they do, an unfortunately, I firmly believe they will reject any approach :( Then as far as I'm concerned, they will get no sympathy from me if they continue to bleet on about how big our wage bill is.

I think its Fulham who have been haggling with Everton re Johnson.

SSN said last night that Fulham had told them to get ready as they'd hoped to announce the deal last night but the deal had hit a snag and negotiations were still ongoing between the 2 clubs.

Big Problem we have is replacing Smith as we currently have no fit strikers and the ones we have are like bolsa wood.

Unless of course KK already has someone lined up waiting for the Smith deal to go through.

I'm not trying to be funny here but how much of problem is it to replace a forward who hasn't scored a goal and you could probably count the number of shots he's had on one hand and still have fingers to spare?

Name a replacement who is available and who would come then.

Smith has played a load of games on the right of midfield and in central midfield.

He's got his head down and got on with it and never moaned or took the huff.

He's never been in the papers for bringing the club into disrepute.

He's a good honest pro who desperately needs a goal to give him a lift, you don't become a bad player over night.

Absolutely spot on about him being a honest lad who hasn't caused the club any off the field problems. And no you don't become a bad player overnight, problem is though Smith has never been a good player. He got by at leeds on youthfull enthusiasm, he never progressed, never improved his game and over the last few years has steadily been in decline. Unfortunately now he's at a point where he's more of a hinderance to a prem club than a help.

There are plenty of prospects we can pick up relatively cheap that would do a better job than Smith does, he's not even useful as a squad filler because we can't rely upon him and at 60k a week, rejecting any offer would be sheer madness from our point of view.

If we refuse to sell Smith we are mental, I never thought any club would want to take him off us, its a deal we need, gets him off the pay role and lets face it we are not going to miss him even if he is not replaced.

Well if they do, an unfortunately, I firmly believe they will reject any approach :( Then as far as I'm concerned, they will get no sympathy from me if they continue to bleet on about how big our wage bill is.

Who is 'they'?

From everton forum.

"I know there is too many post saying ive got Aunties Brother Uncles at Everton and shit but  my brother works for Mercedes in Liverpool and they deal with the Everton and Liverpool player and staff cars. His friend has been to Finch Farm this morning to drop off a car and he said that Alan Smith was there, so maybe it is true. "

They have worse ITKs than us even.

Cant see them (or anybody else)  paying him 60k

Who is 'they'?

"They" being the club as "we" not being the club :lol:

From everton forum.

"I know there is too many post saying ive got Aunties Brother Uncles at Everton and shit but  my brother works for Mercedes in Liverpool and they deal with the Everton and Liverpool player and staff cars. His friend has been to Finch Farm this morning to drop off a car and he said that Alan Smith was there, so maybe it is true. "

They have worse ITKs than us even.

Cant see them (or anybody else)  paying him 60k

So what?

Who is 'they'?

Decent point, that needs a reply from me. First they are Ashley but under KK instructions possibly against Ashley's wishes but he doesn't want to look like he's undermining his manager. And I would agree with Ashley's stance to a certain degree as he wouldn't want to loose a good manager over Smith.

2nd & 3rd "they", I knew you or one of your flock would pick up on this, obviously the board or whomever is sending signals that we were in a financial mess and want to reduce costs.

I'm begging you though please don't turn this into the old board/ new board thread though. As this is nothing about that. Just me saying if the club want to make savings on the wage bill, this guy is where they should be starting.

Who is 'they'?

Decent point, that needs a reply from me. First they are Ashley but under KK instructions possibly against Ashley's wishes but he doesn't want to look like he's undermining his manager. And I would agree with Ashley's stance to a certain degree as he wouldn't want to loose a good manager over Smith.

2nd & 3rd "they", I knew you or one of your flock would pick up on this, obviously the board or whomever is sending signals that we were in a financial mess and want to reduce costs.

I'm begging you though please don't turn this into the old board/ new board thread though. As this is nothing about that. Just me saying if the club want to make savings on the wage bill, this guy is where they should be starting.

Got a link to anything that proves Ashley wants to keep Smith (and Keegan doesn't)? Can't see where that comes from at all.

Got a link to anything that proves we want to reduce costs? Can only see shit-stirring journalists suggesting that. Just because they keep saying the same thing doesn't make it true. 'Signals'. :nope:

I agree this is where the club should be starting, but don't forget they gave him the deal in the first place; backing the then manager who wanted him.

Also agree this thread shouldn't be spoilt by the same old shit. So I'll leave it there.

Guest Mucky01

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=8464

Arnold Trescot

Posted 07/08/2008 at 14:36:49

Report abuse

I work for the Chron and the sources are merely the Liverpool Echo website. We are part of the same paper group,

Far from a done deal yet.

could do without Toon Skirge from posting on their website trying to encourage a fans boycott of Smith signing for them, eh?

Who is 'they'?

Got a link to anything that proves Ashley wants to keep Smith (and Keegan doesn't)? Can't see where that comes from at all.

Got a link to anything that proves we want to reduce costs? Can only see s***-stirring journalists suggesting that. Just because they keep saying the same thing doesn't make it true. 'Signals'. :nope:

I agree this is where the club should be starting, but don't forget they gave him the deal in the first place; backing the then manager who wanted him.

Also agree this thread shouldn't be spoilt by the same old s***. So I'll leave it there.

Jesus Christ Dave, do you fucking read ? What part of "I firmly believe" equates to "I have cast iron proof that Ashley wants shot and KK doesn't" ??

Ashley's been watching Smith all last season from a supporters point of view. He's sat in with the fans, he's surely heard the abuse and seen what a pathetic excuse for a footballer Smith has become. KK has only seen him since January and apparently hasn't kept up with football during his sabatical. He could quite possibly be under the collective illusion that alot of people in football are that Smith is merely just a little out of form and will regain that if you give him time.

AS I said that's just my take on it, not fact or anything, I never stated it, words of support coming out of KK for Smith back up the idea that the club don't want to let him go.

OMG, here we go with the link crap again, Mort clearly stated and the Ashleyites have been arguing all along that the club was in a mess and the wage bill is out of control. Or have I just made that up ?  This has been the case for backing Ashley during this summer of inactivity. We have to get the wage bill down, we have to get the wage bill down, I've heard it a million times. Well here apparently is a golden opportunity to do just that, get rid a top earner who is also a useless fucker. I hope to god that they (Ashley and KK) don't look this gift horse in the mouth.

You're embarrassing yourself with the 'Ashleyites' nonsense. And the wage bill thing has only been in relation to strikers, has it not? Of which we currently have six.

Fair enough comments though. I'll admit I read your post wrong, I thought you meant Ashley would want to keep Smith, not the other way around.

You're embarrassing yourself with the 'Ashleyites' nonsense. And the wage bill thing has only been in relation to strikers, has it not? Of which we currently have six.

Fair enough comments though. I'll admit I read your post wrong, I thought you meant Ashley would want to keep Smith, not the other way around.

I kind of like the Ashleyite term, I mean it in jest that's all, it doesn't embarrass me in the slightest, I would quite happily accept a Keaganite badge, cos I absolutely love the guy. I would even have adopted a Brambleite badge in the past as I was one of the few dumbasses to continually back him, see how stupid I can be :)

Ashley's not stupid, in fact he's apparently very sharp, he'll know the value of Smith, that's why I believe it's KK that is probably the one reluctant to sell.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=8464

Arnold Trescot

Posted 07/08/2008 at 14:36:49

Report abuse

I work for the Chron and the sources are merely the Liverpool Echo website. We are part of the same paper group,

Far from a done deal yet.

could do without Toon Skirge from posting on their website trying to encourage a fans boycott of Smith signing for them, eh?

Because we all know Everton officials advise toffeeweb.com before completing every transfer :lol: