Alan Smith

tmonkey

I'd want to play football. If that meant having to get by on a paltry £1.5m a year then I think I'd go along with that.

Realistically though....no fucker would pay Smith anywhere near £30k a week :lol:

I think he'd struggle to get half that to be honest, he'd go to a mid-table championship team at best and they surely wouldn't be able to afford much more than £10k. I can sympathise with the greedy angle but realistically I think he'd be taking a £2m+ paycut per year to play for a fairly shit championship team which probably wouldn't be that exciting when you've previously played in the champions league and got a few England caps under your belt.

He should be looking to get some mental deal in China, Qatar or the like.

Smith played alongside Michael Duberry whilst he was at Leeds. I dare say Duberry wasn't on the same type of wages as Smith was. He's not the greatest player and was a bit of a liability but he's currently playing for Oxford Utd in League 2. I've got nothing but respect for Duberry who has slipped down the leagues but is still playing regularly. He's a footballer who has been prepared to put playing above earning money. His priorities are right - play as long as you can.

Smith's priorities are fucked up.

f*** this argument.

Poor Alan Smith on 60K a week :( Why should he even try playing football if he has to play for 30K a week. Poor lad. We should chip in for him.

BTW: The short career bollocks is a phrase from a time long gone when footballers earned f*** all. It means nowt now.

I happen to think they deserve a good slice of the business/club they are integral to the success of. But I'm not shedding tears for a 'footballer' who has made no desire of playing football.

Bingo. We're talking about a multi-millionaire who's been paid thousands of pounds every week for the last 10 years. He's not skint, he's not struggling for cash, he's been paid circa £14m from NUFC alone since he signed for us. If he's still putting money before playing football then he's a greedy c***. He values earning money above actually playing football.

He's scum. 

Remember Assou-Ekotto coming out a year ago or so saying he had lost the love for the game and was only in it for the money. Oh, how everybody though the honesty was refreshing. Can't remember anybody calling him money grabbing scum.  :undecided:

If he was content to sit on the bench and continue to get paid for doing nothing the you'd have a point. He's earning his money by playing. He may not like his job as footballer but at least he's doing it.

Completely different to Smith tbh.

Just because the manager does not pick him ahead of first choice players? You must hate all back up players for taking money from the club..?

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year and gives precisely nothing back in return. I resent him for it and I'm quite happy to admit it.

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year too, and I can't wait for him to leave at the end of the season and the money to be invested in better players. The fact he offers nothing back in return is a choice by his manager; he makes himself available for selection but the manager estimates (correctly) that he has better options at his disposal. I don't resent the player concerned for this as I think most people would not give up the majority of their wages for another, more satisfying job, despite what they say on an internet forum. I certainly wouldn't. If that makes me a c***, so be it.

I would.

I'd want to play as much football as my body would allow. I'd look at my bank balance of several million pounds (steadily accumulating over the last 12 years) and make a decision that playing football was more important than earning even more money. Id want to go back to my home town club and try to help them back into the Premier League.

I don't understand his or your way of putting money before playing football. What's most important for a footballer ffs?

What a ridiculous argument. Do you define someone solely by their job?

Would you say "I don't understand his or your way of putting money before stacking shelves. What's most important for a shelf stacker ffs?"

All these people getting indignant are fucking idiots IMO, suggesting that he should be playing football at literally any level rather than earning £60k/week simply because "he's already earned enough". Look: If football's THAT important to him, he can wait until June then go play it with extra money in his pocket. He can play until 40 if he wants, trawling round the Sunday leagues, it's not like he's got some kind of fucking time-limited opportunity to play football over the next 6 months that will never come round again in his life. However he's only got 6 more months in his entire life where he can earn this kind of cash. He'd be a fucking idiot to walk away.

Don't misunderstand me. I was against Alan Smith joining this club, and I've hated every time I've seen his name on the teamsheet, he's a millstone round the neck of the club and I'll be delighted when he's gone. But to suggest he has some kind of moral obligation to walk away is fucking barmy. We gave him the contract, and if I was him I'd do exactly what he's doing. So would all of you, and saying "Oh no not me, I'd walk away because I love football so much" (Which people inevitably will) is not going to convince me one single bit.

f*** this argument.

Poor Alan Smith on 60K a week :( Why should he even try playing football if he has to play for 30K a week. Poor lad. We should chip in for him.

BTW: The short career bollocks is a phrase from a time long gone when footballers earned f*** all. It means nowt now.

I happen to think they deserve a good slice of the business/club they are integral to the success of. But I'm not shedding tears for a 'footballer' who has made no desire of playing football.

Bingo. We're talking about a multi-millionaire who's been paid thousands of pounds every week for the last 10 years. He's not skint, he's not struggling for cash, he's been paid circa £14m from NUFC alone since he signed for us. If he's still putting money before playing football then he's a greedy c***. He values earning money above actually playing football.

He's scum. 

Remember Assou-Ekotto coming out a year ago or so saying he had lost the love for the game and was only in it for the money. Oh, how everybody though the honesty was refreshing. Can't remember anybody calling him money grabbing scum.  :undecided:

If he was content to sit on the bench and continue to get paid for doing nothing the you'd have a point. He's earning his money by playing. He may not like his job as footballer but at least he's doing it.

Just because the manager does not pick him ahead of first choice players? You must hate all back up players for taking money from the club..?

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year and gives precisely nothing back in return. I resent him for it and I'm quite happy to admit it.

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year too, and I can't wait for him to leave at the end of the season and the money to be invested in better players. The fact he offers nothing back in return is a choice by his manager; he makes himself available for selection but the manager estimates (correctly) that he has better options at his disposal. I don't resent the player concerned for this as I think most people would not give up the majority of their wages for another, more satisfying job, despite what they say on an internet forum. I certainly wouldn't. If that makes me a cunt, so be it.

I would.

I'd want to play as much football as my body would allow. I'd look at my bank balance of several million pounds (steadily accumulating over the last 12 years) and make a decision that playing football was more important than earning even more money. Id want to go back to my home town club and try to help them back into the Premier League.

I don't understand his or your way of putting money before playing football. What's most important for a footballer ffs?

Well then you're clearly a better man than me (or just a liar ;) ) as I'd probably do exactly the same as Smith has done.

Fair enough, I admire your honesty.

I'd want to play football and would take a cut in wages to do so.

I'd want to play football, but I'd realise I'm 31 on £60k p/w and I'd get a better deal if I left on a free rather than a transfer.

Despite having played only a dozen games since I was 29? Who's going to throw big money at him like?

At least if he'd been playing regularly for the last 18 months he'd still have a bit of a reputation in the game. No-one will touch him as he's barely played for the last 2 seasons. He's going to be a victim of his own greed.

f*** this argument.

He's scum. 

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year too, and I can't wait for him to leave at the end of the season and the money to be invested in better players. The fact he offers nothing back in return is a choice by his manager; he makes himself available for selection but the manager estimates (correctly) that he has better options at his disposal. I don't resent the player concerned for this as I think most people would not give up the majority of their wages for another, more satisfying job, despite what they say on an internet forum. I certainly wouldn't. If that makes me a cunt, so be it.

I would.

Well then you're clearly a better man than me (or just a liar ;) ) as I'd probably do exactly the same as Smith has done.

I'd want to play football, but I'd realise I'm 31 on £60k p/w and I'd get a better deal if I left on a free rather than a transfer.

Despite having played only a dozen games since I was 29? Who's going to throw big money at him like?

At least if he'd been playing regularly for the last 18 months he'd still have a bit of a reputation in the game. No-one will touch him as he's barely played for the last 2 seasons. He's going to be a victim of his own greed.

Nowt to do with how many games he's played, it's just a fact of life - free agents get better deals in terms of wages/bonuses/signing on fees because there isn't a transfer fee to be paid.

f*** this argument.

He's scum. 

I hate the fact he takes £3m out of the club every year too, and I can't wait for him to leave at the end of the season and the money to be invested in better players. The fact he offers nothing back in return is a choice by his manager; he makes himself available for selection but the manager estimates (correctly) that he has better options at his disposal. I don't resent the player concerned for this as I think most people would not give up the majority of their wages for another, more satisfying job, despite what they say on an internet forum. I certainly wouldn't. If that makes me a c***, so be it.

I would.

What a ridiculous argument. Do you define someone solely by their job?

Would you say "I don't understand his or your way of putting money before stacking shelves. What's most important for a shelf stacker ffs?"

All these people getting indignant are fucking idiots IMO, suggesting that he should be playing football at literally any level rather than earning £60k/week simply because "he's already earned enough". Look: If football's THAT important to him, he can wait until June then go play it with extra money in his pocket. He can play until 40 if he wants, trawling round the Sunday leagues, it's not like he's got some kind of fucking time-limited opportunity to play football over the next 6 months that will never come round again in his life. However he's only got 6 more months in his entire life where he can earn this kind of cash. He'd be a fucking idiot to walk away.

Don't misunderstand me. I was against Alan Smith joining this club, and I've hated every time I've seen his name on the teamsheet, he's a millstone round the neck of the club and I'll be delighted when he's gone. But to suggest he has some kind of moral obligation to walk away is fucking barmy. We gave him the contract, and if I was him I'd do exactly what he's doing. So would all of you, and saying "Oh no not me, I'd walk away because I love football so much" (Which people inevitably will) is not going to convince me one single bit.

Aye, because comparing a professional footballer to a shelf-stacker isn't ridiculous at all. :thup:

I'd want to play football. If that meant having to get by on a paltry £1.5m a year then I think I'd go along with that.

Realistically though....no fucker would pay Smith anywhere near £30k a week :lol:

I think he'd struggle to get half that to be honest, he'd go to a mid-table championship team at best and they surely wouldn't be able to afford much more than £10k. I can sympathise with the greedy angle but realistically I think he'd be taking a £2m+ paycut per year to play for a fairly shit championship team which probably wouldn't be that exciting when you've previously played in the champions league and got a few England caps under your belt.

Smith played alongside Michael Duberry whilst he was at Leeds. I dare say Duberry wasn't on the same type of wages as Smith was. He's not the greatest player and was a bit of a liability but he's currently playing for Oxford Utd in League 2. I've got nothing but respect for Duberry who has slipped down the leagues but is still playing regularly. He's a footballer who has been prepared to put playing above earning money. His priorities are right - play as long as you can.

Shit example tbh.

57 appearances in 6 years at Leeds btw, should he have left earlier to seek regular football?  That's a lot less football than Smith has played here.

f*** this argument.

He's scum. 

I would.

Nowt to do with how many games he's played, it's just a fact of life - free agents get better deals in terms of wages/bonuses/signing on fees because there isn't a transfer fee to be paid.

We'll just have to wait and see where he ends up. :thup:

Shit example tbh.

57 appearances in 6 years at Leeds btw, should he have left earlier to seek regular football?  That's a lot less football than Smith has played here.

The point was that Duberry made playing football a priority. Smith doesn't seem to want to play. 

Shit example tbh.

The point was that Duberry made playing football a priority. Smith doesn't seem to want to play. 

His last contract in the Premier League was with Reading, he left at the end of it because they wouldn't give him a new one. He had little choice tbh.

Realistically though....no f***er would pay Smith anywhere near £30k a week :lol:

I think he'd struggle to get half that to be honest, he'd go to a mid-table championship team at best and they surely wouldn't be able to afford much more than £10k. I can sympathise with the greedy angle but realistically I think he'd be taking a £2m+ paycut per year to play for a fairly s*** championship team which probably wouldn't be that exciting when you've previously played in the champions league and got a few England caps under your belt.

Smith's priorities are f***ed up.

s*** example tbh.

You're making it sound like he's doing a Tevez.. I'm sure Smith would be delighted if Pardew selected him to play in the absence of Tiote.

Shit example tbh.

His last contract in the Premier League was with Reading, he left at the end of it because they wouldn't give him a new one. He had little choice tbh.

That was 3 years ago and he's still playing. I dare say he's currently playing for very little money from Oxford which, again, is my point. He wants to play football and has made it a priority. He's dropped down the leagues, he's not earning very much but he's still playing. His priorities are right.

life is unpredictable... its harsh to called him cunt because he earn 60k a week. Can assuming his life is ok now... but what we do know is what happen to him after retired from football.... there is possibility a month after retired from football he got accident that crippled for entire life so he not have even a decent job after football career end. Its fair enough if he want earn as much as possible because we paid him based from his CV record.

Seems like a strange example tbh. If Smith's still playing for an awful team a la Oxford in 4 years it won't prove his priorities were right just as it doesn't for Duberry. It might prove it's his best (or only) option.

I'd love the fucker to leave early mind :lol:

Shit example tbh.

That was 3 years ago and he's still playing. I dare say he's currently playing for very little money from Oxford which, again, is my point. He wants to play football and has made it a priority. He's dropped down the leagues, he's not earning very much but he's still playing. His priorities are right.

What is to say Smith will not do that at the end of his contract?

Realistically though....no f***er would pay Smith anywhere near £30k a week :lol:

I think he'd struggle to get half that to be honest, he'd go to a mid-table championship team at best and they surely wouldn't be able to afford much more than £10k. I can sympathise with the greedy angle but realistically I think he'd be taking a £2m+ paycut per year to play for a fairly s*** championship team which probably wouldn't be that exciting when you've previously played in the champions league and got a few England caps under your belt.

s*** example tbh.

You're making it sound like he's doing a Tevez.. I'm sure Smith would be delighted if Pardew selected him to play in the absence of Tiote.

Pardew's made it clear he'll not pick him regardless of a Tiote injury. Smith's had the chance to play regularly for Leeds this season but, despite it being blatantly obvious that he's out of favour here, he'd rather not go elsewhere. 

His manager doesn't rate him, Smith knows this and he'd still rather not play for us as opposed to play at a lower level for a lower wage. Don't get it.

Shit example tbh.

What is to say Smith will not do that at the end of his contract?

He may, he may not. Don't give a fuck where he ends up tbh.

s*** example tbh.

Pardew's made it clear he'll not pick him regardless of a Tiote injury. Smith's had the chance to play regularly for Leeds this season but, despite it being blatantly obvious that he's out of favour here, he'd rather not go elsewhere. 

His manager doesn't rate him, Smith knows this and he'd still rather not play for us as opposed to play at a lower level for a lower wage. Don't get it.

Money, obviously. I'd do the same as Smith.

Would you move to a school in a shitter area for half your salary but more contact teaching time with the kids?

s*** example tbh.

Would you move to a school in a shitter area for half your salary but more contact teaching time with the kids?

Teachers aren't footballers and the jobs aren't comparable in any way.

A 21 year-old teacher is doing the same job as a 64 year-old teacher. Less contact time with kids is easier than more contact time. Your wage is not negotiable. The career is often 3 or 4 times as long etc

Shit example tbh. ;) 

s*** example tbh.

A 21 year-old teacher is doing the same job as a 64 year-old teacher. Less contact time with kids is easier than more contact time. Your wage is not negotiable. The career is often 3 or 4 times as long etc

Shit example tbh. ;) 

I'm sure having every Saturday off is easier than playing as well.

Bottom line is we both hope he fucks off and the sooner the better but I have no real ill feeling towards him.

s*** example tbh.

Shit example tbh. ;) 

Bottom line is we both hope he fucks off and the sooner the better but I have no real ill feeling towards him.

You having a pop there like? :lol:

I'm paid to perform for 195 days a year. This useless cunt can't be trusted to perform at all due to his lack of ability. I hope he fucks off asap and people see him for what he actually is.

s*** example tbh.

Shit example tbh. ;) 

You having a pop there like? :lol:

I'm paid to perform for 195 days a year. This useless cunt can't be trusted to perform at all due to his lack of ability. I hope he fucks off asap and people see him for what he actually is.

:lol: was on about a pro footballer not being in the match day squad and so having the day off.