Alan Smith

tmonkey

When he first arrived I Parky and I(apologies Parky if it wasn't you)  stated that he could become a Toon Legend. 

I was wrong. I mean I was fucking wrong to several magnitudes.  Can an injury such as he suffered make a footballer so ineffective?  Its my theory he continued with the naff blonde spikey hair just soo he could be identified on the pitch.

Jeez was I wrong?

Guest Nufc4Life

It's such a shame, i really feel for the lad.

Has/had so much talent, the injury seems to have destroyed him. It's not his fault he gets picked, booing is going a bit far, he does try, he's just absolutely terrible nowadays. Realy is hard to see, as i really liked Smith as a player, was one of my favourite players coming through the ranks at Leeds then Man U, was happy when we signed him but it just hasnt worked out, ever since that injury and so on.

I hope he can rejuvinate himself but alas it seems it's not to be.

Has/had so much talent, the injury seems to have destroyed him. It's not his fault he gets picked, booing is going a bit far, he does try, he's just absolutely terrible nowadays. Realy is hard to see, as i really liked Smith as a player, was one of my favourite players coming through the ranks at Leeds then Man U, was happy when we signed him but it just hasnt worked out, ever since that injury and so on.

The only time he isn't lazy is when he tries to kick someone.

He was moved into midfield even at Leeds because he couldn't cut it up front and Leeds signed forwards left, right and centre so they wouldn't have to play him there. Was always average at best other than an early purple patch and now average looks a million miles away.

Guest Nufc4Life

The only time he isn't lazy is when he tries to kick someone.

I just think the lads had all the life sucked out of him, he probably realises he's shite now, and it's hurting him, and it transfers onto the football pitch, when i think what he used to be like and then look at him now, he's a shadow of what he was, and he probably realises that to. It's another case of an injury destroying a potentially legendary players career. We'll never get back the Alan Smith that Man Utd signed now, and that's a shame.

He was moved into midfield even at Leeds because he couldn't cut it up front and Leeds signed forwards left, right and centre so they wouldn't have to play him there. Was always average at best other than an early purple patch and now average looks a million miles away.

He'd be perfect for Rangers. Such a shame, wish we could have had Cuellar off them in exchange. They owe us for what happened with the whole Boumsong shenanigans.

Guest Nufc4Life

He was a good solid player for Man Utd as well, there fans loved him and it takes a lot for the Mancs to treat him with the respect they did. Ask any Leeds fan  to and they were gutted when he left, was a cult hero there and was a class player for them. He was a very very good footballer, but somewhere it's all gone wrong, really feel for the lad, it pisses me off a bit with his laziness, but in a way I can see where it stems from.

He was a good solid player for Man Utd as well, there fans loved him and it takes a lot for the Mancs to treat him with the respect they did. Ask any Leeds fan  to and they were gutted when he left, was a cult hero there and was a class player for them. He was a very very good footballer, but somewhere it's all gone wrong, really feel for the lad, it pisses me off a bit with his laziness, but in a way I can see where it stems from.

I seem to recall we were all saying something similar about Nicky Butt a couple of seasons back, before he went off to Brum, and came back refreshed and raring to go...

Guest Nufc4Life

I seem to recall we were all saying something similar about Nicky Butt a couple of seasons back, before he went off to Brum, and came back refreshed and raring to go...

Could be the answer...dunno whether he'd go for a bit tho

Guest Thomo

He is SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEE !!!

Never liked him as a footballer beyond that first season where he looked like a promising forward if he were to improve his game. And was definately shit before that injury - I know plenty of us were suprised at ManU being interested in him, even more so with the amount they paid when they sealed a deal.

Started off brightly for Leeds in what was a good side, but that quickly went when defenders pretty much figured out that the guy was a striker with no pace, strength, skill or movement, just an average all rounder with a high work rate. Granted, he's worse now because of the injury/positional change/lack of confidence/losing whatever touch he did have, but he was a very average player before all of that.

As for fans appreciating him, he was a half decent domestic player (bias will always exist in every country) who had a purple patch earlier on in his career, had a very high work rate, and was a player who frequently put in crunching tackles all day long (i.e. got "stuck in"), something which is cheered by matchday fans more than a piece of individual brilliance at times. Was always going to be rated highly purely because of that. As an example, until recently imo there were 100 Smith admirers for every Gareth Barry admirer, even though Barry was always a considerably better footballer in comparison to Smith.

Guest Nufc4Life

Never liked him as a footballer beyond that first season where he looked like a promising forward if he were to improve his game. And was definately shit before that injury - I know plenty of us were suprised at ManU being interested in him, even more so with the amount they paid when they sealed a deal.

Started off brightly for Leeds in what was a good side, but that quickly went when defenders pretty much figured out that the guy was a striker with no pace, strength, skill or movement, just an average all rounder with a high work rate. Granted, he's worse now because of the injury/positional change/lack of confidence/losing whatever touch he did have, but he was a very average player before all of that.

As for fans appreciating him, he was a half decent domestic player (bias will always exist in every country) who had a purple patch earlier on in his career, had a very high work rate, and was a player who frequently put in crunching tackles all day long (i.e. got "stuck in"), something which is cheered by matchday fans more than a piece of individual brilliance at times. Was always going to be rated highly purely because of that. As an example, until recently imo there were 100 Smith admirers for every Gareth Barry admirer, even though Barry was always a considerably better footballer in comparison to Smith.

The thing is, whilst we were suprised Man U bought him, he did get games. Fergie has made some disastrous decisions, but he always realises quickly and they never usually last longer than a season, Djemba Djemba, Klberson, Taibi, etc etc, with Smith he kept going with him, gave him games, and got some good performances from the lad.

I think saying he's been an average player is a tad harsh, he's never going to fall into the great category, but i think he was a very good player.  And it upsets me to see him how he is now, my Dad's a Leeds fan so i saw plenty of Leeds games and Smith etc, always had a soft spot for the lad and it's a huge shame to see what he's become.

I agree with your fan appreciating argument,, but i also think it is partly to do with him being a good player also, obviously being English and gettig stuck in was always going to get him overrated to epic proportions amongst some, but he was a good player.

I would rather we try to loan him out than sell him, hopefuly he'll rediscover his touch at a lesser side and return rejuvinated, like GM mentioned with Nicky Butt.

It's actually got to the point whereby I think we'd actually do better with 10 men on the pitch than have to play him.

It reached that point a long time ago.

I was going to go round my brothers to watch the match tonight but when I realised our only striker (in the loosest sense of the word possible) was Smith I didn't bother. Sounds like I made a good choice.

Honestly, Keegan should tell Smith he'll never get a game and should tell his agent to find him another club (if they can find any team crazy enough). I can't believe Keegan thinks he should get a game. I don't care who is injured, I'd rather play anyone but Smith. The kids from the youth teams would be a better option up front.

Allardyce paid £6M for Smith. Makes the £5M Sunderland paid for Chopra look like a bargain.

I'd rather play Ameobi.

I would MUCH rather play Ameobi. Shola's header against the defender in the last game was much more dangerous than anything I can think of from Smith for a long time. He seems scared to even have a go, his messed up backheel against Hertha summed him up, most players would have struck that, especially forwards.