Alan Smith

tmonkey

Love and Smith heading for Everton as manager Moyes bolsters his strikeforce

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:58 AM on 11th August 2008

David Moyes will finally make his first foray into the transfer market this week by wrapping up deals for Vagner Love and Alan Smith.

Everton will need to smash their club record transfer fee of £11.25million to sign Brazil striker Love on a permanent basis but a 12-month loan deal is likely at first.

Newcastle's Smith, who was booed by his own fans on Saturday, will join Love at Goodison Park but the spending won't stop there, and Everton are hopeful they will add Real Zaragoza striker Diego Milito, Rennes midfielder Stephane M'Bia and Joao Moutinho of Sporting Lisbon to their squad before the window closes.

Moyes needs reinforcements, as the 1-1 draw in the final preseason game against PSV Eindhoven on Saturday showed.

2X

Didn't notice for all those bloody smilies

relax :thup: cheers O0

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/11/do-it-like-duff-to-win-over-the-fans-61634-21508391/

Do it like Duff to win over the fans

Aug 11 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

ALAN Smith has been told to follow Damien Duff’s lead to resurrect his Newcastle United career – although how much longer it has left to run remains in doubt.

While Kevin Keegan promised to help rebuild the goal-shy striker’s shattered confidence, he was in no mood to tell the Gallowgate boo-boys to lay off him.

The Magpies hope to play Michael Owen in a behind-closed-doors friendly, probably on Thursday, to prepare him for Sunday’s Premier League trip to Manchester United but doubts remain over whether fellow striker Smith will still be at the club by that time.

Smith is believed to be negotiating a £3m move to Everton to the displeasure of the 30,000-plus fans who attended Saturday’s final pre-season match, a 2-1 win over Copa del Rey winners Valencia. The ex-Leeds and Manchester United player’s 63rd-minute introduction was greeted by loud boos. But afterwards Keegan pointed to the example of Duff as to how Smith can win over the supporters of whichever club he plays for in the coming season. Out of position at centre-forward, the Irishman scored United’s equaliser, a header from Danny Guthrie’s corner and his fourth goal of what has been his first pre-season with Newcastle.

“He looked like he could run forever against Valencia and the goal he scored was probably not the sort of goal you associate with Damien Duff, a great towering header, really attacking the ball,” Keegan enthused. “His fitness level is fantastic, he’s really, really trained hard and I’ve just said to him, ‘You’re now getting the reward for your training out on the pitch’.

There’s a chance with two or three players here that if we get them back where they should be fitness-wise, we’ll have two or three new players within our squad.”

While Smith’s body may be in decent enough shape, a sore ankle apart, it is his mind Keegan must work on. “(Under other circumstances) you could be saying the same thing about Damien Duff at this point,” he reflected.

“You’re just two or three games away from turning everything around in football. Duffer’s had a good pre-season, scored three goals at Hartlepool, another against Valencia and played very well. The

solution is always mainly in the player’s hands and the manager helps. That’s what I’ll be doing with Alan Smith, as with any player who has had a problem with confidence or goes through a spell where they’ve not been playing much. That’s our job. We can do that.”

But he refused to admonish the supporters. “I’m not going to try and tell this crowd what to do,” he said. “It’s a very knowledgeable crowd. I’m not going to tell them what they should see. I know one thing – it’s my job to see the good things and there’s a lot of them.” Keegan made it abundantly clear he wants Smith to stay but also gave the impression it was out of his hands.

“I definitely think there’s a lot more to come from Alan,” he added. “He’s got a lot of desire. If he didn’t have any desire I’d say you’re wasting your time. I’ve known lots of players turn themselves around, I know Alan will. Alan Smith is a Newcastle player and that’s it. What happens in the future, you’ll be the first to know.”

Getting official announcements out of the club is difficult at present.

Keegan was only able to reveal that Fabricio Coloccini trained with the squad on Saturday and that he liked his permed hairstyle.

But the fact owner Mike Ashley wore the Argentinian’s name on the back of his shirt suggested a degree of confidence in the deal to sign him going through.

Keegan confirmed coach Arthur Cox has left the club, but refused to elaborate.

As if any journalist is stupid enough to think that is why he was booed.

this is what i dont understand. why do the press think he is being booed for wanting to move away. as far as i'm concerned, he is being targeted because he is sh1te and i for 1 dont qwant to see him in an nufc shirt again. the way to portray this to to boo him in my opinion

Although I agree about not booing him, it's the fact that some muppets still think he has something to offer for 60 grand a week. Get with the program he's no longer the same player.

Alan Smith didn't deserve the boos

RISE ... the Alan Smith DVD.

http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/SGJJ//TH1_118200858smith.jpg

Published Date:

11 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

I'M writing this blog less than 48 hours after Alan Smith was booed as he came on for Newcastle United.

Like a lot of fans, I never like to hear a player wearing black and white – or silver for that matter – heckled by his own supporters.

And I felt for Smith – a transfer target of Everton – as he trotted on for Obafemi Martins in the second half against Valencia at St James's Park, as I don't think he deserved it.

In my book, he's always given his all for the club he joined a year ago.

Hours before the game, as I killed time before the delayed kick off, I bought a second-hand DVD for £1.99 from a shop in town.

It is titled simply 'Alan Smith'.

Documenting his first few seasons with hometown club Leeds United, the DVD charts Smith's meteoric rise at Elland Road.

I watched it yesterday, and the highlights include a debut goal against Liverpool in front of Anfield's Kop, a strike against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, a belter against Newcastle at St James's Park, and a superb Cruyff-turn and strike against Southampton.

Smith, quite clearly, can score goals.

So what's gone wrong for him at United?

As a couple of the contributors to the DVD pointed out, part of his problem is being such a team player, Smith's often too unselfish in front of goal.

Also, he spent a large part of last season playing in midfield, which isn't his best position.

There's also the career-threatening injury he suffered two-and-a-half years ago. A horrific leg break like that takes any player a long time to recover from.

On the surface, Newcastle should suit Smith down to the ground. Like Leeds, it's a one-club city, and one thing fans demand is that players give 100 per cent.

Smith never gives anything less.

I saw a few Leeds games during the second-half of their relegation season as a friend was in Eddie Gray's side.

And while one or two of his team-mates may have thrown in the towel as the club lurched towards disaster, Smith never stopped trying.

In the Elland Road players' bar after a 1-1 draw against Everton, which had seen Tyneside-bound James Milner cancel out a Wayne Rooney opener, he was being consoled by Leeds-born Radio One DJ Chris Moyles.

He knew they needed wins, not draws, to escape the drop.

That summer Smith left for Manchester United, and he went on to make close to 100 appearances and score 12 goals for the club.

Sir Alex Ferguson has only signed a handful of bad players in his 21-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, and I honestly don't think Alan Smith is one of them.

He's staying with us apperently, Everton about to sign Vagner Love..

Thought they were after love as well as Smith

Doubt it, they'll have 5 strikers this way, and i'm not really expecting Moyes to see Smith as a midfielder, the deal seemed to reach a dead end last sunday and their no longer intrested..just a matter of time till the press announce that he's staying..

Signing Wagner Love doesn't have to mean they won't want Smith IMO.

Christ on  bike! Get Smith sold while there are still idiots like those at Sky Sports who still rate him enough to put him in our best 11: -

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11662_3910325,00.html

Possible best XI (Given, Beye, Taylor, Bassong, Jose Enrique, Milner, Smith, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Martins, Owen)

Completely clueless article, as usual..  Bassong in our best 11?  We sign two defenders, one young lad on the cheap and one experienced international for £10 million and they think the young lad on the cheap is likely to be the starter? :lol:  Not to mention Faye is already ahead of him even before Coloccini.. pathetic.

Doubt it, they'll have 5 strikers this way, and i'm not really expecting Moyes to see Smith as a midfielder, the deal seemed to reach a dead end last sunday and their no longer intrested..just a matter of time till the press announce that he's staying..

Pass me the razor blades if that's true!

Guest shagthefluff

if smith does stay are those ppl who booed him gonna continue to do so? would hope not but about half our fans are fucking losers who are as fickle as could be. keegan has turned ppl around before and theres no reason he cant do that to smith. smith has shown very little talent so far which is disheartnig but to be fair how manny games has he played upfront? when he played there at home v arsenal last year he looked a decent player.

Guest neesy111

Pass me the razor blades if that's true!

he was signing him to play in midfield not upfront

Guest Heneage

Moyes did a Q&A in America, and was asked about signings and replacing Johnson. He said that "Im going to sign someone that will shock someone and annoy others but trust me".

Which five strikers are you referring to there?  As far as I know they currently have only two senior strikers, Yakubu and Anichebe.  Vaughan's starting to come through but I doubt he can be relied upon as a first team player yet.  The likes of Jose Baxter certainly can't.

Which five strikers are you referring to there?  As far as I know they currently have only two senior strikers, Yakubu and Anichebe.  Vaughan's starting to come through but I doubt he can be relied upon as a first team player yet.  The likes of Jose Baxter certainly can't.

Yakabu,  Anichebe, Vaughan, Love, Smith

Vaughan already made more than 20 apperances for the first team and is pretty much a part of it, he's much better than Smith aswell..

Why do people think Everton won't sign him as it will give them 5 strikers yet expect us to go out and buy another one on top of the 6 we already have?

Why do people think Everton won't sign him as it will give them 5 strikers yet expect us to go out and buy another one on top of the 6 we already have?

Because it'll keep Smith out of the line-up ;)

Yakabu,  Anichebe, Vaughan, Love, Smith

Vaughan already made more than 20 apperances for the first team and is pretty much a part of it, he's much better than Smith aswell..

Ah I thought you meant they'd have 5 strikers if they only signed Wagner Love and not Smith, now I get what you mean.  Still think they might want him, hope so anyway.  Vaughan has made 20 appearances, however he only made 13 last year and all but one of those were only sub appearances, they might want four senior strikers.

if smith does stay are those ppl who booed him gonna continue to do so? would hope not but about half our fans are fucking losers who are as fickle as could be. keegan has turned ppl around before and theres no reason he cant do that to smith. smith has shown very little talent so far which is disheartnig but to be fair how manny games has he played upfront? when he played there at home v arsenal last year he looked a decent player.

You are mentioning the only decent performance he's ever given for Newcastle. As usual, he didn't score in that game either.

If we end up getting stuck with Alan Smith the only way I'd play him would be up front for the reserves. He'll either rediscover his confidence/form eventually or will just confirm what we already know without losing us Premier League points.

Vaughan broke through before Anichebe and is miles better than him. He's just injured all the fucking time.

I don't think signing Love means we won't get Smith.