Alan Smith

tmonkey

every time i talk to a fan of another team they put newcastles troubles down to the fact that " people like alan smith have been really missed, if he wasnt injured u would have been much higher this season" haha if only they knew the truth

Smith is like Geremi, neither one can be played in the same team as Nicky Butt otherwise you end up with a disfunctioning midfield. It isn't Smith in particular who is the problem, all three are. The damage is limited with each less one involved.

The bit in bold is all I read. The rest I took as filler.

We KNOW he has the attacking instincts from his Leeds days. I just dont understand how a player's entire footballing mould just changes like that. He needs to apply himself better and he must be played up front, otherwise he's absolutely of no fucking use to us.

We KNOW he has the attacking instincts from his Leeds days. I just dont understand how a player's entire footballing mould just changes like that. He needs to apply himself better and he must be played up front, otherwise he's absolutely of no fucking use to us.

His record at Leeds was similar to Shola's. He is, and always has been (other than a brief purple patch when he came onto the scene), utter dross imo.

Guest fading star

We KNOW he has the attacking instincts from his Leeds days. I just dont understand how a player's entire footballing mould just changes like that. He needs to apply himself better and he must be played up front, otherwise he's absolutely of no f***ing use to us.

Agreed. Smith is not a midfielder.  He does too much pointless running around. If he concentrated on getting into goal scoring positions he might get a few goals.

His record at Leeds was similar to Shola's. He is, and always has been (other than a brief purple patch when he came onto the scene), utter dross imo.

Smith scored some belters in his Leeds days. He was a half-decent striker. He was OK at Manu aswell until the injury. Can remember him playing really well, and scoring a really beautiful finish in that 7-0 win against Roma, or whatever it was.

Now he just looks utterly woeful. He was by no means great in his earlier days, but i agree with WTF. It is pretty astonishing how an aspect of a player's game can totally evaporate, like it has with Smith. He scored for England too, don't forget (though i think it was a friendly...)

Can remember him playing really well, and scoring a really beautiful finish in that 7-0 win against Roma, or whatever it was.

His last competitive goal...

Can remember him playing really well, and scoring a really beautiful finish in that 7-0 win against Roma, or whatever it was.

Scored a belter for England B just before we signed him as well, played up front with Owen and scored a first time 20 yarder that flew in. I think that was his last shot on target.

Guest sondre

What the fuck was Hughton thinkin, playing him and Butt in the center?!?!?!? Smith can't tackle, can't pass, can't do shit except make free kicks!! He was lucky not to get a second yellow as well. PLEASE GET RID!!

He reminds me of me when I play centre midfield in 11-a-side. Huff and puff, put a few tackles in, get amongst them, with the very occasional bit of football thrown in. Not good enough, basically.

I know. My point was that he did have a decent bit of talent before he came here.

He might be alright if he wasn't played in CM.

I'd rather see him play CM than right wing or up front like he did for Allardyce. Just don't play him in the same team as Duff, one pillock making reckless challenges and giving the ball away is enough.

• 2 years later...