Wigan (a) - Pre-Match Thread

Optimistic Nut

Sorry to hijack this post but years and years of loyalty to this Board carries no automatic entitlement of starting a thread, so does anyone know if Shearer's still shows away games and specifically the Wigan game tomorrow?

Many thanks

That's odd. Your stats show you've made 100 posts - hopefully that can be fixed soon :)

Guest Owen 4 Ever

what do you think off 4-3-3 ??

... Given ...

... beye .. taylor .. cacapa ( rozenhal is a mistake ) .. zog ( also enrique is great .. we don't want another luque !! )

... Milner .. Barton .. Duffer ...

... Smudger ...

... Martins .. Vid ...

Guest Harry-Norway

What the he.. do you want to play Barton for??He had his chances for long time now.useless.

Emre in,if not Geremi before Barton,give him a taxi

Sorry to hijack this post but years and years of loyalty to this Board carries no automatic entitlement of starting a thread, so does anyone know if Shearer's still shows away games and specifically the Wigan game tomorrow?

Many thanks

That's odd. Your stats show you've made 100 posts - hopefully that can be fixed soon :)

All fixed thanks to a kind admin. Feel under pressure to post now!!!

Steve Bruce believes the only way for a club to make progress is if managers are given years, not months to make their mark.

The Wigan boss has been disturbed at the verbal battering Sam Allardyce has taken in the first few months of his tenure at Newcastle.

Bruce welcomes his old friend to the JJB Stadium on Boxing Day, knowing he could increase the pressure on him.

Allardyce is again feeling the heat following the 2-2 home draw against bottom club Derby.

Bruce, however, is backing the former Bolton boss to the hilt.

He said: "For people to shout at Sam, 'You don't know what you are doing,' is nonsense.

"He does know what he is doing - he proved it for years with Bolton. He did a fantastic job there and rebuilt the club.

"I am convinced he will get it right at Newcastle but you have got to give him time to do it his way.

"You cannot put your stamp on a club in two or three months. It takes two or three years.

"But none of us get the chance to do that. You have to make an impact.

"If you don't you can be out of a job in weeks. Unless we get a bit of commonness football clubs will never be stable or successful."

Bruce, who once rejected to chance to manage Newcastle when he was at Birmingham, took in the game against Derby and being a local lad savoured the atmosphere

He said: "You marvel at being a Geordie and seeing 50,000 people there.

"It is freezing cold and they are just wearing black and white strips but it does not matter to them.

"This is one game in the season I look forward to immensely and a lot of my family will be at the game on Boxing Day."

Bruce is satisfied at the steps Wigan are taking after he replaced Chris Hutchings.

They face Newcastle on the back of a draw against fellow strugglers Fulham at Craven Cottage and a victory over Blackburn.

Bruce said: "I am pleased with the way things are starting to turn around for us.

"We were worried we might be cut adrift but one victory could get us out of the bottom three and in among five or six teams.

"That is something we are capable of doing after our recent performances."

Former Chelsea defender Mario Melchiot is available again after a three-match suspension.

Bruce could also be boosted by the return of Emile Heskey following an ankle injury.

The England striker was forced to sit out the draw against Fulham as did Jason Koumas because of a groin problem and he remains doubtful.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3004265,00.html

The team:

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye    N'Zogbia

Smith    Geremi    Emre

Milner                                  Duff

Viduka

Where is Enrique? Why Enrique don't playing?

The team:

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye     N'Zogbia

Smith     Geremi     Emre

Viduka

is this official?

Yes.

The team:

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye    N'Zogbia

Smith    Geremi    Emre

Viduka

is that the definate team?

if it is then i would be surprised as there are so many changes from derby game and also seems a lack of "solidness" in the midfield.

looks a bit expansive for a usual big sam team but i would be happy with it but we need to focus down the right as wigan have no left back.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The team:

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye     N'Zogbia

Smith     Geremi     Emre

Viduka

No way would the team be released this early! Source?

He said: “I was very sad when I left Newcastle because the fans were brilliant to me, they were some of the best fans I have ever played in front of.

“I feel lucky to have played for Newcastle United in my career and to have worn the famous black-and-white shirt – it was truly an honour I will never forget.

“I am a Wigan player now and committed to my club, but if I score there is no way I would ever celebrate a goal against Newcastle.

“I would be happy for my team and my team-mates because we need the points, but I would not rub it in for Newcastle fans as I have so much respect for them.

“It was my biggest wish to sign for the club again in the summer, but that did not happen.

“However, it will be great to see the Geordie crowd again.”

Sibierski’s popularity on Tyneside continued after he signed for Wigan, as the former Manchester City man bagged goals against both Sunderland and Middlesbrough earlier in the season.

He added: “It was great to score those goals for my new club.

“However, I will be looking to a job for Wigan today and that means I would like to score again today.

“As I say, though, I would not celebrate if I did.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/26/old-boy-sibi-s-vow-to-toon-fans-72703-20286836/

Wigan's Sibierski planning to wind-up Barton

Wigan Athletic striker Antoine Sibierski believes Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton can be talked out of today's game.

Sibierski has identified Barton as the biggest threat to his team's hopes of escaping the Premier League's bottom three today.

And he makes no secret of his intentions to wind up the volatile Newcastle ace.

Sibierski, 33, said: "Joey is a really good player with great commitment but he is also a bit mad.

"So if you are a little bit clever when you face him you can provoke him and know he is going to go mad and see red very quickly. And for Wigan it could be a good thing if we can get him sent off."

If that's the team then I definitely like it. I don't think we can read too much into it though, it's most probably just players being rotated because we have such a busy schedule in the next week or so, so it's logical and practical for Sam to change players around and rest certain players.

Given

Beye        Taylor        Faye      N'Zogbia

Smith

Geremi

Emre

Milner          Viduka              Duff 

If that is the team i would be happy. It has a nice blend of passers and attacking threat.

Given

Beye        Taylor        Faye       N'Zogbia

Smith

Geremi

Emre

Milner          Viduka               Duff 

If that is the team i would be happy. It has a nice blend of passers and attacking threat.

I'd have Barton instead of Emre, but apart from that, I like the look of that team.

Given

Beye        Taylor        Faye      N'Zogbia

Smith

Geremi

Emre

Milner          Viduka              Duff 

Why would Sam play Milner on the right when he just said he wasn't a right winger? Why would he drop Butt for Smith and Geremi? Why would he drop Cacapa when he rates him so highly?