Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Why do people always blame the keeper when in truth it was just good play from Arsenal. Give their strikers some credit FFS

The strikers get loads of credit. Goal of the month, goals on  Sunday, goal of the season, golden boot winner, top goalscorer. For me goalkeepers get let off far to easily. Off the top my head I can only think of Craig Gordon as the only keeper to be dropped this season  for poor form in the Premierleague, atm I cant think of anyone else.

Lehman, Robinson

Good shouts  :thup:

kind of tired of people whining on sick long shots. even chech wouldnt have taken the flamini goal.

think we have to focus on the pressure on the ball from 25 meters and in. if we keep conceding such goals, then we have to learn from it and do something to prevent it.

When you a defensive midfielder like Butt who cant run or jump, we are going to struggle closing people down around the box.

Why do people always blame the keeper when in truth it was just good play from Arsenal. Give their strikers some credit FFS

The strikers get loads of credit. Goal of the month, goals on  Sunday, goal of the season, golden boot winner, top goalscorer. For me goalkeepers get let off far to easily. Off the top my head I can only think of Craig Gordon as the only keeper to be dropped this season  for poor form in the Premierleague, atm I cant think of anyone else.

I mean on this forum.

I mean on this forum

Well that is because everyone has got used to calling our strikers shite.

Balls - aren't the powers-that-be constantly mucking around with (I can't believe there is such a thing) 'ball technology'?

I've seen a few shots/free kicks this season that seem to defy the laws of physics, swerving about at the last second after the keeper has committed himself.  Whatever they've done to the ball seems to have made it easier to curl in/dip/swerve.  Given isn't the tallest of keepers, so perhaps he's suffering a bit because of it.

I haven't read all the comments but Given has been on the wrong end of some blinding long shots this season. The common denominator for me isn't Given, it is the lack of pressure on the ball allowing the opposition that extra second to set themself for the shot; it makes a hell of a difference.

What I will say about Given is that since his WH injury he does not command his 6 yard box (if he ever did) & his ball skills have gone seriously backward. Still a great shot stopper.

i thought of this thread the instant that flamini let that shot go.  and strangely enough when it hit the back of the net i found myself thinking that brad friedel would have made the save

I have said this before and will say it again - a lot of the time our much maligned defence is not to blame for conceded goals. The gap we have between the midfield and defence is criminal, and the top teams like Man Utd and Arsenal have a field day in this area. The defence clear it but it just keeps coming back because the centre of our midfield is SHITE. Given isn't shit, the defence these days isn't that shit. Its the midfield's fault and the sooner this is rectified in the transfer market the better.

i thought of this thread the instant that flamini let that shot go.  and strangely enough when it hit the back of the net i found myself thinking that brad friedel would have made the save

Likewise, and I watched the replay several times in order to be fair in judgment of Given - whilst Flamini struck the shot well, I don't think it was travelling as fast as either the Elano goal at Man City or the one Harper conceded at Derby to Miller ; in addition, Harper was more unsighted than Given was in either the Elano or Flamini goals. Flamini's shot WAS saveable by either a taller keeper with longer reach, or one with more athletic reactions - Given had a clear view of his intention to shoot(yes, the defending was also poor, but had his view been blocked by a crowd of defenders trying to stop Flamini, he would have had more excuse)...Given's dive was short, and graceful - as in 'I've seen an Airship take off faster' graceful..!!!

I still maintain that the long-term injury he suffered has taken the edge off his game ; whether this is permanent I do not know, but I also would select Harper at this time.

I have been told that Harper consistently performs better than Given in training.  Given is living on his reputation now, I don't know why he has gone so out of form as some of his decisions re coming or staying on the line have been  dire recently

Guest battyleespeed

Given was dodgy all along in that match. WTF was that backheel anyway? His kicking wasn't very good either....

Save the long shots my biggest problem with him is that he doesn't command any presence. I've always been up for the smaller players to do well but in this case I would rather see us going for big and noisy goalkeeper that would lead our outfield players and come out to deal with crosses and high balls. Neither what Given does. His reaction saves have always been excellent but since he has lost some form and confidence his inadequencies have started to come fore more and more. 

Problem with Harper is that he is very similar to Given. We need a new goalkeeper and quick. 

Guest NorthernSoul

The only common factor in all of our really poor defensive lineups in recent years has been Shay Given. I think like you say battyleespeed, he lacks presence, and the rest of the back four suffer as a result. However, he's been a fantastic servant!

Guest battyleespeed

When he was still relatively new back in late 90s and even early this decade his performances were eye catching.. lot of hollywoodish shot stopping and some incredible reaction saves. Sadly I don't think he can bring back his game to level of those performances (surgery, aging and all that). Like you said northernsoul he has been great servant but should be replaced.

he will be replaced in a few years time by, hopefully Krul.

We can't afford to wait even ONE season to replace players who are on the downward path - NUFC have done that far too often over the years and the best managers always get rid before the rot really sets in.

might as well reserve space on this thread for the ensuing shitfest after Alves/Downing score a wondergoal/crazy freekick against us on Sunday.

the post saved him this time and the ref giving offside

I was fucking screwaming at the telly. how did he not even make an effort to dive for that free kick.

Poor. Choice of kicking yet again wasnt good either

Given is the best keeper we've ever had fullstop

he;s one of the 3 players (+ taylor & the Zog) we could actually sell

th eproblem is and always has been the non existent defence and the crap mid field in front of him

to blame the keeper when you play  the people we have (Bramble, Hughes....) in front of him is just stupid