Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

He's starting to look a bit finished imo. :undecided:

Will be a real shame when he leaves the first team for good. He's still got a bit left in the tank for me, though, he might just be out of form. The majority of our squad is like.

Harper for Villa, though.

Shay this season has been well below his usual high standards. We all know his kicking is shit but because he is not playing well it is even more highlighted now, I really am nervous everytime he gets the ball now.

Harper IMO did little wrong to get dropped and I think he deserves his chance again.

Hopefully this season is a blip for Shay, everyone goes through bad form but I think he is still a quality keeper. He has a few years left in him, keepers go on forever.

Guest Deep456

I don't see what he did wrong to cost us today? The goal, there was no way he could have got there so don't say, it would have been 1-0 if he attempted to get it.

I really dont get all this Given bashing!!His kicking is poor but then again do ye think that we play the ball back to him too often!He had no chance for the goal and made no real blunders!I dont think hes back to his best yet but of all players Shay deserves a chance!Harpers solid but hes no way i the same league as Given!When Harper was in goal everyone was complaining why wasnt Given in goal!Was Harper injured today Fraser Froster was on the bench

For the first ten minutes in the second half, Given looked for the short option with his distribution.

It was like someone had brought him up on it at half time, but at the first sign of pressure, he reverted back to type for the rest of the game.

The problem is if you compare a lot of teams with us, we play it back to the keeper for clearances far too often. It was most highlighted to me in the two Arsenal games. I'd say Given has to deal with as many 'clearence' backpasses in a game than Almunia (or Lehmann) probably have to deal with in a season. We just don't do him any favours. 

The problem is if you compare a lot of teams with us, we play it back to the keeper for clearances far too often. It was most highlighted to me in the two Arsenal games. I'd say Given has to deal with as many 'clearence' backpasses in a game than Almunia (or Lehmann) probably have to deal with in a season. We just don't do him any favours. 

This

Guest battyleespeed

Thats because our players are really short on confidence so they keep taking the easiest option for the fear that they get disposessed while looking for a short pass option. I don't see many of our players being really hungry for the ball but it is slowly coming better. Good example yesterday... Emre, Duff and N'Zogbia were really driving forward with the ball instead of taking the easy options.

Having written that the times we play backpass to keeper isn't really any excuse for Given's poor kicking. Making the backpass would be half-justified if our keeper would smartly distribute the ball but alas nearly all passes to Given end up with us losing possession.

Guest thommo78

You can also say that we are shite at closing down shots that are 20 yards out. Our midfield tend to defend the 18 yard line and with butt;s legs etc we are not the quickest at shutting the ball down. The Flamini goal was a prime example!

It was a fucking deflection you mongs :idiot2:

a very slight, very minor deflection. didnt exactly have a massivechange of direction, every premiership keeper should be quick footed enough to deal with something as innocuous and routine.