Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

As most players can hit the ball over the wall (& some under it), why dont teams put a big defender on the line? Teams need to forget about offside & worry about conceding goals, I still think the defensive team will have the advantage with the goalkeeper.

I am sure there is a reason this is not done & am prepared to have this idea shot down.

Offside does matter. If there's a deflection or the ball pings around, someone can knock it in from a yard away.

I've always wondered why teams don't have some kind of strategy on walls. Why not just half of them jump? :lol:

Can't you have someone lying on the ground behind the wall, so when the rest jumps, he's lying there covering in case it's a low one? :lol:

He's getting worse, but has it got anything to do with this season's strip?

An anonymous grey kit isn't going to maximise his presence between the sticks, andis going to reduce his team mates' awareness of his whereabouts.

An anonymous grey kit isn't going to maximise his presence between the sticks, andis going to reduce his team mates' awareness of his whereabouts.

Actually that is a good point. Bright green or red is best for keepers - makes them look massive and dangerous. Perhaps add a moustache.

i was saying to a mate the other week that we have changed our backline so many times over the past few years, that you would think we would find a decent defence by accident. the only constant has been shay given. not sure if he organizes the defence properly. maybe time for a change.

Ask Southampton. :iamatwat:

How pedantic.

I'd be curious to hear about the others. Who would you rather have? Harper?!

nowt to do with it, we need a new keeper, Given is not good enough. If you stuck Nesta, Ferdinand, Zambrotta and Ramos in the defence then perhaps he'd be able to get away with awful positioning and the organisational skills of Mr Bean, but that isn't gonna happen, a change, asap

As most players can hit the ball over the wall (& some under it), why dont teams put a big defender on the line? Teams need to forget about offside & worry about conceding goals, I still think the defensive team will have the advantage with the goalkeeper.

I am sure there is a reason this is not done & am prepared to have this idea shot down.

Offside does matter. If there's a deflection or the ball pings around, someone can knock it in from a yard away.

I've always wondered why teams don't have some kind of strategy on walls. Why not just half of them jump? :lol:

Can't you have someone lying on the ground behind the wall, so when the rest jumps, he's lying there covering in case it's a low one? :lol:

Probably since a person's body would only cover about 1/3 the wall. But what if you had a skilled acrobat preforming rapid forward and backwards rolls along the wall?

...Or you could just use Peter Crouch

How pedantic.

nowt to do with it, we need a new keeper, Given is not good enough. If you stuck Nesta, Ferdinand, Zambrotta and Ramos in the defence then perhaps he'd be able to get away with awful positioning and the organisational skills of Mr Bean, but that isn't gonna happen, a change, asap

The bloke may have his faults but that is way over the top. This kind of attitude is a major part of the reason why the club is in the shit it is in now to be honest.

How pedantic.

yet, Damien Duff is a revelation..

fuck off, you clueless git

No mention of when Given just watched the ball head towards the goal as if watching it go wide, leaving it to Taylor to clear on the line?

He was awful on Saturday.

was unbelievable that, couldn't understand it.

No mention of when Given just watched the ball head towards the goal as if watching it go wide, leaving it to Taylor to clear on the line?

He was awful on Saturday.

Aye, I noticed that. From the smirk Taylor gave afterwards I can only imagine he got a shout.

Not sure we need a new keeper just yet Given has been poor for a while now.  Not been the same since his injury but I'm not sure we can blame that for poor positioning and his continually woeful kicking.  Has he actually worked on that at all over the last 5 years?

Great shotstopper, but awful distribution, average positioning, average decision making = an OK keeper, nothing more, nothing less.

2nd only to Schmiecal in Premiership history I reckon. Is rated very, very highly by opposition fans, though sadly not by his own.

Great shotstopper, but awful distribution, average positioning, average decision making = an OK keeper, nothing more, nothing less.

2nd only to Schmiecal in Premiership history I reckon. Is rated very, very highly by opposition fans, though sadly not by his own.

I think he is in decline to be fair. Best 'keeper I've ever seen play for us however.

Guest robertbobo

How pedantic.

The reason no other clubs have ever tabled any bids is because they are not top class keepers. Yes, great shot stoppers, especially Shay, but not top class all round keepers. Both are prone to regular errors. For example Shay was awful second half on Saturday, there was his overhead kick over the bar a few weeks back, I could go on and on over may seasons. yes I know he had two good saves first half on Saturday but overall the new manager must get a top goalkeeper quickly.

How pedantic.

yet, Damien Duff is a revelation..

f*** off, you clueless git

best you can do?

good litmus test for identifying which nufc fans actually watch the games, ask them their opinion of Shay Given

Just add this one to his 07/08 portfolio.

I've established that you are a miserable man and/or your sole purpose on this forum is to bring everyone down to the level you are on with your negativity. People must get really bored of you.

The fact people complain about Given astonishes me. He was our best or second best player against Man Utd. He has been with us for what 10 years? He's rejected advances from other clubs to remain loyal to us. We always expect players to be proud of the shirt they are playing in and to pay us back with what we put into our club. Given does this.

I've established that you are a miserable man and/or your sole purpose on this forum is to bring everyone down to the level you are on with your negativity. People must get really bored of you.

The fact people complain about Given astonishes me. He was our best or second best player against Man Utd. He has been with us for what 10 years? He's rejected advances from other clubs to remain loyal to us. We always expect players to be proud of the shirt they are playing in and to pay us back with what we put into our club. Given does this.

Although I agree with some of your points about him he was shite against Man Utd.

he was more culpable for the scoreline than any other player. His fault for the first two goals which effectively ended the game

he was more culpable for the scoreline than any other player. His fault for the first two goals which effectively ended the game

Goal number 1 - The ball went along the ground under the wall after they had all jumped. There are not many goalkeepers in the world who would be able to save that.

Goal number 2 - I agree, his ''clearance'' into Cacapa was very poor, but as was Enrique's and Taylor's attempts at defending. Enrique should have put the ball up the pitch, not given in back to the keeper.

Enrique and Taylor were, in my view, without doubt the best two players for us on Saturday. Given had a mare.